Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

Trust me, I'm not talking about competition. I welcome any store that comes into the Tri-Cities.

I'm talking about some people's mindsets that they want THEIR stores to come here, so they can "replace" what we have here. (And, might I stress that I'm not talking about you, Cougargm. ) Different is not necessarily better, and if people move here to whine and go on about what we don't have, etc. etc. then I wish they'd stay farrr away.

I guess it's just a touchy point for me. The entire NETN region is in this delicate balancing act of upgrading to 21st century society while still retaining exactly what makes it (us) NETN. Talking about supplanting regionally-owned corporations with those based elsewhere solely because "I really want it, and it's better!" was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Or whatever that metaphor is.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM

166 posts, read 511,200 times
Hopefully your post was not aimed at my comment about wishing a Stew Leonard's was here, there are just four of those up north, but I'd love to see a place like it, like people I'm sure would appreciate a Wegman's. I've never lived somewhere where there was so much in so little space.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Hopefully your post was not aimed at my comment
Nope, nope. I'd actually not mind a Wegman's here either, but... it all has to do with attitude.

Asheville has the most densely packed city I think I've ever been in. (And, like all of you, I've been in lots). There's TONS of stuff packed into such a small, hilly area!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Well I can understand the feeling because I've really missed Food City after moving away from the Tri-Cities. It really seems like many people tend to develop a trust or loyal feeling toward their grocery store.

It's always good to have more options and more competition, but I really don't think Wegmans would ever be interested in expanding to this area. Especially now, many upscale grocery stores are suffering with people choosing lower priced chains with the economy and job losses. It sounds like they would have to charge higher prices for having employess that watch children and hold wine and food tasting events. They only have 79 total stores, and if/when they do expand in the future, I would expect Wegmans to stick to areas with a greater population density. Notice how other upscale chains, Whole Foods, Publix, and Trader Joe's seem to have avoided the Tri-Cities even though they have stores much closer. Their policy of no tobacco products alone may turn many off.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Except for child care and their healthy only selection, EarthFare would have to pretty darn close. I mean if anyone can turn a Whites into what they have accomplished says a lot about their competency. I've been to several Publix and would prefer EF any day.

So if you can do without junk food give them a try.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM

150 posts, read 426,311 times
Where is this earthfare. rccrain says they turned a white's into EarthFare? Is that the one just off campus of ETSU, next to RiteAid? I miss that Kroger that is right there across the street.

For money reasons I had to leave JC/TN for Miami. I hate it. The Winn-Dixie here has good produce and meat, but I miss my Kroger.

But when I was in Johnson City, I missed having lots of Restaurants to choose from. Hope I don't sound like I am whining, Jab.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Yes, that's where it is.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Except for child care and their healthy only selection, EarthFare would have to pretty darn close. I mean if anyone can turn a Whites into what they have accomplished says a lot about their competency. I've been to several Publix and would prefer EF any day.

So if you can do without junk food give them a try.
I'm sorry to disagree, but Earth Fare is nothing like Wegman's. I would put Wegman's on the same plane as Publix, whereas Earth Fare is more like a Whole Foods knock-off (albeit a pretty good knock-off).

Publix doesn't try to be like Earth Fare, and Earth Fare doesn't try to be like Publix. Earth Fare doesn't carry normal, everyday items like Coca-Cola, Tide, or Wesson Oil, and Earth Fare (or Whole Foods) doesn't cater to customers who could use food stamps.

I highly doubt that Earth Fare takes too many customers away from Food City. But Publix or Wegman's would definitely be in direct competition with Food City.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM

166 posts, read 511,200 times
Has anybody been to Ukrop's? Would that compare to Wegman's?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm sorry to disagree, but Earth Fare is nothing like Wegman's. I would put Wegman's on the same plane as Publix, whereas Earth Fare is more like a Whole Foods knock-off (albeit a pretty good knock-off).

Publix doesn't try to be like Earth Fare, and Earth Fare doesn't try to be like Publix. Earth Fare doesn't carry normal, everyday items like Coca-Cola, Tide, or Wesson Oil, and Earth Fare (or Whole Foods) doesn't cater to customers who could use food stamps.

I highly doubt that Earth Fare takes too many customers away from Food City. But Publix or Wegman's would definitely be in direct competition with Food City.
If EF is not taking at least some Food City/Kroger customers, then where the heck did EF's customers shop before EF?

OK, maybe I'm missing the point, but if Wegman's is like Publix then I really don't see any need for them. I've been to 3 different Publix (Atlanta, New Smyrna Beach, and Orlando) and let's just say I was less than impressed. They were a slightly upscale Food City. But to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol