Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
I was never really impressed with Food City. Maybe I've never been to a good one (the only one i've really been to is next to taco bell and hardees close to ETSU)? Food city always reminded me of Bi-Los. . .and that is not a good thing.
That's probably because Food City expanded at one point by buying up several Bi-Los. So if you were closest to one of these stores then it might seem that way. Where I use to live, Food City bought out Piggly Wiggly, and reminded me of Piggly Wiggly for a while. They also bought several old Winn-Dixies when Winn-Dixie restructured after bankruptcy. It seems like Food City has expanded quicker than they've been able to pay for renovations to keep a consistent image at every store. And I also assume there may be a few lower-revenue stores that may not be a priority to renovate. Hopefully the one on Market and State of Franklin will get some help soon though. But as others said, Food City is constantly renovating and replacing old stores with new ones. When they get the store up to their normal specifications, or build one new, they usually look very nice. Especially the store in Kingsport, and I assume the other two-story locations, which are great.

Last edited by Trevor92; 02-03-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 PM

284 posts, read 759,020 times
Yeah, Kroger is REALLY lacking. Can't believe that they built the "new" one where they did a few years ago. All of the upper class still seem to shop at the ancient one off North Roan. WHY don't they just buy the whole shopping center, and revamp?? We have H.E.B. in SA - regional chain that chased Kroger and Albertsons out of the city. It pretty much has everything, and each store fits the needs of the individual neighborhood. Plus, they run the upscale "Central Market" - incredible produce, wines, foreign foods, etc. SA is the 7th largest city, and we have only H.E.B.'s and Whole Foods - plus a few small ones scattered about. (Again, you JC folks need to demand that Kroger build a better store on the north side. The produce is HORRIBLE.) I also can't believe that liquor is so expensive up there - about $4 more a bottle!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Yeah, the old Kroger in midtown JC is pretty crusty but always PACKED in the daytime. Decorator's Warehouse just pulled out of that shopping center to go into a new development on the northside so Kroger could feasible expand. Russo's Orleans is also in there so the shopping center COULD become halfway respectable again if they'd repave, put up some new signing and so forth.

I actually think the location of the newer Kroger off State of Franklin/Greenwood Drive is very smart. There are tons of us that live here in south JC and I'd say that most of use that Kroger, Earth Fare and the Food City on South Roan.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
Yeah, the Kroger in Bristol (built in the late 1990s) where the old Bristol Memorial Hospital (1953-1995) used to be is always suprisingly busy. I do not shop there often, unless its a product I cannot get elsewhere, or if I am in the area I will go in there. I always get in and out very quickly and the store always seems neat and orderly.

Ha, I remember the OLD Kroger that was in Bristol. It was down in the old K-mart Plaza in the 1980s (not sure how much further back) and it was always a very busy place. My grandmother (rest her soul) shopped there alot. I faintly remember, but I think there was a "Super X" pharmacy beside of it. Later on, that became Revco, then CVS, then Kroger closed, CVS moved across the street in a new building where the old Bonanza used to be.... then the entire shopping complex saw its demise and was bull-dozed, then a new Lowes was built. That entire shopping center was always buzzing. I remember at any given time there toward the end, there was a successful K-Mart, a hair school (at one time was a pet store), CVS, Radio Shack, barber shop (now in the new Food City shopping plaza to the left), finance company, Chinese restaurant, etc.

NOW, the new Food City on Vol. Pkwy in Bristol is where a old lumber store used to be and for awhile a $1.00 store. Before that though, back in the 1980s, that was called the "Family Rec", which was a teenage hangout... video game machines, pool tables, etc. I was too young to hang out there, but I remember my older cousins and uncles that were in there teens in the 80s hung out there (and I think a couple of them took me there when I was a kid). I am showing my age now. lol. All of that was torn down, now a new plaza there.

Across the street in the old Hills Plaza, it used to also be "booming". There was Hills, tons of small outlets and in the late 90s-2003, the Food City. Then Hills moved out in the 90s, then Ames went in for awhile, then it closed, then a Freds went in, now they are gone, as are most other shops in there. Now all thats there are a couple of shops and a Chinese restaurant. My how times have changed since the 80s-90s in Bristol.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Funny, when Hills/Ames was here in JC, it was in the complex with Kroger. We still have our Fred's down near Newbie's, but I don't see how they stay in business. Who in the world would want to shop there? Hmm...

Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
I frequent that Fred's and the Big Lots for non-food items. The Big Lots carries Ashley Furniture.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 AM

166 posts, read 510,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
I frequent that Fred's and the Big Lots for non-food items. The Big Lots carries Ashley Furniture.
I go to Big Lots for "snack" items. I don't buy snack food when I go to the grocery store - I feel better about buying them when I can buy a box of Cheese Nips or pretzels with no expiration date on the box for $1.00... haha.

They are good for some non-food items, but the selection lacks with some everyday items, and they do end up being cheaper at Walmart.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM

17 posts, read 56,792 times
I don't think this store would ever go over here unless they are lower in price then the local stores. We're rather simple here and prefer low price over fancy. I would NEVER leave my child with some stranger at a store. That's crazy!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just13catz4me View Post
I don't think this store would ever go over here unless they are lower in price then the local stores. We're rather simple here and prefer low price over fancy. I would NEVER leave my child with some stranger at a store. That's crazy!
I really believe there in lays the reason why we won't see a "super grocer" here in the Tri-Cities area for some time. This is a very family orientated with very deep roots area. If someone is going to watch a locals child it will be me-ma, pa-paw, aunt sue or some other relative. Look how few child care centers there are in the area? Not many. Family takes care of family here. That is not by any means a bad thing, I think it is a great thing for the children. However it is a local trend that will dictate to a grocer chain to look at if and when they do research an area to determine if their chain would be successful there. The other is price. The majority of shoppers in this region do shop by price. The lower the prices, the more business that chain will have in this region. This is also an area that yes, has had some influx of non natives here in recent years, but the native population, by several generations, is still the majority. Where and how Mom and Dad shops is usually how the next generation does as well. Usually serving the same foods and same recipes that Me-ma and Pa-paw used. It is called the local culture, and that is usually why folks that move here from elsewhere fall in love with the area, for the local culture. Grocery shopping I guess is just part of it.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM

357 posts, read 968,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just13catz4me View Post
Please remember that this area is growing and many people who are moving here dont have a "Me-Maw" or a "Pa-Paw" to help watch their children.

In addition, some children like playing in the play area while their parents shop and if someone happens to be there to watch the kids while they play and I shop than I think thats a Win, Win situation and I'm not crazy for thinking so. I'm not some bad parent because I would allow my kids to play while I shop. If my kids didn't want to play then they would be able to shop with me. It would be completely up to them

Also, just because a store offers more options doesn't make it "Fancy". If a store can offer people more than 2 brands of an item and still keep the costs down then more power to them and I think many would welcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol