Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Do you know of anyone that lives down there that would be willing to let you stay there till you find a place?

No, It'd be nice though. I have no family down there, just the friends from City Data.

Someday....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
No, It'd be nice though. I have no family down there, just the friends from City Data.

Someday....

Hmm maybe if you started talking to a few of them more maybe you could see about staying with them?..just a thought

Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Default Music scene this weekend

Anyone looking for live music this weekend, The Shane band is playing at The Russo Orleans Friday night, they are a "shag" band.........anyone know what "shag" music is? Is it kinda like swing or jazz maybe???
Saturday the David O'Rourke and the Countryman are playing there too, sounds like it is going to be a hoppen place.
Anyone doing anything special for the holiday weekend?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Some friends and I are getting together Saturday night to color eggs. Our eggs usually turn out a bit naughty (way too much wine involved), which is far removed from the spirit of the holiday itself, I fear.

Friday night and Saturday morning I have to work. Sigh. Sunday morning I am going to church with my mother (just on Easter and Mother's Day! lol), then there's a brunch. Sunday afternoon will probably be a very LAZY one as I'll be in Greeneville and there's not a lot there to do.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Anyone looking for live music this weekend, The Shane band is playing at The Russo Orleans Friday night, they are a "shag" band.........anyone know what "shag" music is? Is it kinda like swing or jazz maybe???
?
It's the 'Southern' (or as my husband would the southified) version of the Lindy - any of you old enough to remember 'American Bandstand' with Dick Clark?? That's it - or close to it..

Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Happy Easter Tri Cities!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:11 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Happy Easter! I've heard of the Lindy and I think they did it in the movie"It's a Wonderful Life" didn't they?
Pam

Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM

128 posts, read 335,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Saturday the David O'Rourke and the Countryman are playing there too, sounds like it is going to be a hoppen place.
Anyone doing anything special for the holiday weekend?

I'm a 24 year old music hound and also an online disc jockey for an online-only oldies station (currently on hiatus due to physical illness involving my hearing, but working on a one-off anniversary show currently, without being able to hear it well, for later this month).

There is a record by Billy Graves from 1959 called The Shag (Is Totally Cool), however, over the years i guess the word took on a different meaning, as 'shag music' as i know it, is more like beach music: clifford curry ('she shot a hole in my soul'), the chairmen of the board, the tams ('untie me', 'what kind of fool do you think i am', 'i've been hurt'), the o'kaysions ('girl watcher'), bill deal & the rhondels ('may i' 'what kind of fool do you think i am' 'i've been hurt')...etc..stuff from the carolinas and southern virginia. Some of the artists recorded each other's songs, lol....a lot of them were written by people like ray whitley, joe south, etc. My first experience with it was when driving back to maryland from north carolina with my mom, back in 2000 i think, and hearing the song Carolina Girls by the Chairmen Of The Board on their local radio station. To me, beach music and shag music seem to go hand in hand.

Last edited by TopshelfTom; 04-11-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Sunday afternoon will probably be a very LAZY one as I'll be in Greeneville and there's not a lot there to do.
Oh come on, you can take some pictures of that beautiful area! I wish I could say I was spending Easter in East Tennessee.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Nooooo, have you been to Greeneville? It's no Newport, granted, but. There's. Nothing. There.

Which is good, for a few days. Then I have to get back into pizza delivery range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol