Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times

Advertisements

It is long past time I think that this sub forum needs a general chat thread. A lot of us have been visiting and participating in City-Data forums for a few years now and on line friendships have naturally occurred. This is the thread where we can chat about life happenings, local events, or other such things that may not actually have anything at all to do with the Tri-Cities.
I hope everyone will enjoy having a place to just say hello to other regular posters or just shoot the breeze a bit.

Everyone welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Welcome and let's commence to chewin' the fat!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM

Chew, chew chew hahahahaha
Anyone else getting cabin fever? This warm up yesterday and today have got me really itching to start working in my flower gardens already and thinking about the veggie garden too. Going to try something different this year for the veggies. Just now looking at something Younglisa sent me about the square foot garden style of gardening. Anyone else here in the area tried it? I have hard, hard clay that is very nitrogen deficient and I struggle to get anything to grow.

Edit/add: Does anyone know of a local place where I can pick up old wood boards and/or rocks (large enough to make a stone wall kind of thing) for free or really cheep? Maybe someone knows of a place being demoed? For what I am planing to use these for, I would prefer the old verses the new. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-08-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
MB, color me happy to see a thread like this started, I hope it really takes off.

Getting cabin fever here too. I've been following Younglisa's thread about square foot gardening also. It sounds interesting. I'm thinking about trying it with cement blocks so that I can build it high enough to sit on the edges. Also thinking it will be easier to tear down if I don't like it for whatever reason. I've read a little about companion planting too, it sounds like it might work well the the square foot gardening. I think I need to go dig my gardening books up from the boxes in the basement where they are still packed!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Cement blocks do sound like a good idea! That way the outside can be painted to be more attractive, or even plant moss or ivy in the crack to mask the blocks and I can use that method to do a "step down" type to utilize a hill spot that is in the sun. Good idea! Now this means I need to add to my above post: anyone know on anyone wanting to get rid of a bunch of cement blocks?" hahahahaha

Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM

423 posts, read 1,397,925 times
MB, our farm has quite a bit of shale... would that work for you?There are some nice pieces, but they tend to be rather flat...shale is flatish.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineywoods View Post
MB, our farm has quite a bit of shale... would that work for you?There are some nice pieces, but they tend to be rather flat...shale is flatish.
Oh! That may work great! Is it thick shale or the kind that flakes real easy?
I've been wanting to come see your daughters horses anyway, maybe when you get into to town, I'll stop by and see both horses and rocks?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,546,537 times
This is awesome, chit chat about a place I love! I hope we get lots of traffic here. How'd y'all enjoy this beautiful weather?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM

423 posts, read 1,397,925 times
MB, sure thing on the shale...and the horses. Actually, Leah has one for sale if you know anyone looking. He's awesome. I hate to see her sell him, because I ride him when we go down. But soon I'll be getting my own horse, and I want something smaller...closer to the ground if I fall don'tcha know!

Mark's mother passed away last week...one day after our much loved young friend committed suicide. We've had such grief over the past week, so we're longing to get back to Tennessee and just get away awhile. We've been supporting our close friends through the loss of their son (We watched him grow up, and saw him baptized and married. Later we hung out with him and his wife, and later still we supported him with friendship, counsel and love through some dark times that became darker through a painkiller addiction.) Our hearts are broken for our friends and his widow.

Our son flies in on Wednesday for my mother in law's memorial service on Thursday. We have a lot to take care of here with settling her estate, but then we want to head to the farm for a few days. I will give you a holler when we come down and you can see the horses and the shale. The horses are much cuter and more fun than the shale.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
piney, I'm so sorry to hear about all that. Seems like bad things in our livess cluster up together, doesn't it?

Don't know about any cinderblocks, nope. Hope that shale works out for ya. There's a TON of it at my parents house, but it's the flaky kind.

Today was so beautiful here! If this weather keeps up, though, I'm going to be ready for the trees to bloom and the pools to open, and I think that's a ways off yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol