Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 67,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther90 View Post
Onedragonwarrior: no offense, but you sound like the kind that waiters go out of their way to avoid. Did you ask for some ketchup to "bring out the fine taste of your sirloin"? I have been to Jack's about once a week, generally sit at bar or bar section, and have always been happy. Of course I was understanding when they were busy and I tip well so your experience may vary.
first of all this was durning race week-end, i am a local and NO i am not a hard person to please, this is the first time in about 10 years i was pissed after leaving a resturant, and yes i left a tip, it was a penny lol to show i was not happy with the service. my usal tip % is at 20% so yes i do tip well, it takes alot for me to say something, i hate confertation, but i did call and talk to a manager after i calmed down, and was not even a sorry so-- i will never go back, i wasn't looking for a free meal and have never accepted one from anywere, btw i never eat at a wendys anymore after a employee spilled pepsi all over my white shirt years ago after a kid ran into them and all he said to me was while laughing was glad that was a old shirt, i set my food on the counter and just walked out passing a manager that didn't say anything and havent been to a wendys after that, all it takes is a i am sorry, we will do better next time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
JFH

1 posts, read 2,832 times
Angry Jack's City Grill

Let me begin by saying that one of my favorite places to eat is Cootie Brown's. I have dined there many times and have never received bad food or bad service. Therefore, I looked forward to trying Jack's City Grill because it is operated by the same parent company. My visit to Jack's today was actually two trips in one; my first and last. The service was frantic and multiple servers continually interrupted our meal. The food was average at best. Most irritating was a fried chicken dinner consisting of a single overcooked chicken breast, a small serving of black beans and rice, and a dinner roll. For this feast I was charged 10.95 plus tax. The remainder of my order was two hamburgers, a chicken salad sandwich, nacho appetizer, and three soft drinks. My total bill was almost $67.00. Yes, I saw the prices of the food before I ordered, but I expected the quality to be commensurate with the price. I could have gotten better food at Hardee's and saved almost fifty dollars. Next time I will.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:46 PM

295 posts, read 750,408 times
Went to Jack's four or five weeks ago. It was okay. Probably won't return. Cooties is better. I was at Cootie's during race week and Lisa's steak, which she ordered rare came out beyond well done, hockey puck, shoe leather. She does not b--ch at a restaurant nor do I usually. We did mention it to the waitress when she returned to inquire about our food and she immediately disappeared and returned with a rare steak....a cold one...by now we hated to say anything but when the manager himself came by our table and asked us if things were to our liking we had to mention that while this steak was in fact rare,...it was also uncooked. He inspected it and concurred. I understand that cooking a steak means different things to different people but...it really was cold, steak tartar, not even room temp. He whisked it away and returned it perfectly cooked, rare. Again, it was race week and Cooties was packed but they did their level best to make sure we were happy. We left them a very nice tip in spite of the back and forth because of their attention to our food quality, especially at such a peak volume. I commend them!
Jack's food on the other hand was...unmemorable. Literally. Can't even tell you what I had. Some kind of sandwich and fries I think. Cool, funky decor...in the Cootie's genre...but why have two Cooties five blocks from each other with one not as good as the other? I was expecting something a little more different. They have a decent beer selection but not half of what Cooties has and...again...why bother rehashing an already decent eatery just down the road. In my opinion it was just Cootie's 'revisited' and not as good as the original article.
In an attempt to offer a positive suggestion I would like to see them 'morph' into something JC doesn't already have such as a Tapas restaurant or French Bistro style cuisine. Why not? the place seems pretty cool otherwise so maybe try and present something different than what is already available at their other good location right down the street.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 05-14-2009 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Cootie's is about good food. Jack's is about atmosphere. On the weekends it's a good hop for Cowboy goers. And it's a good place for friends to meet, have a light meal then head out to the club.

Anything more than that, and I fear one might be in for disappointment. Not that it's bad, it's just not designed, IMO, to be an "excellent food" restaurant.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
I'm going to be down in JC next week. From the reviews, sounds like I should keep away from Jack's. I do look forward to Cootie Brown's, Firehouse, and Crazy Tomato when I'm down there, though

(Not to mention Pal's and/or Poor Richard's tea!)

I will say that even though it was a chain, I was actually kinda saddened that LoneStar went out of business. This was probably one of the best kept secrets ever, but they had some really good burgers! Of course, no one probably realized that because they wouldn't put them on their dinner menus. I'm going to assume the reasoning for this was that they wanted you to order the more expensive steaks rather than the cheaper burgers. But damn --- those burgers were good!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM

I wouldn't say stay away from it. Depends on your scene. At night it can be super fun. And the food really isn't bad.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 10,560 times
They didnt bring out the sandwich after waiting a long time, offered to fix new one even though they knew it was messed up in the first place , But were told it will take awhile . Fries were cold. Seems to be understaffed. Food was ok- not great not bad but expensive. Not mad- but prob. wont go back.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
Man, it's not sounding good for Jack's.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I wouldn't say stay away from it. Depends on your scene. At night it can be super fun. And the food really isn't bad.
"Expensive" is not my scene

Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Man, it's not sounding good for Jack's.
Yet the parking lot is packed, especially on weekends?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol