Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,777,017 times

Advertisements

I think mbmouse has already mentioned this, but here's an article I don't believe has been posted yet:

The holidays have come and gone, but Jason Dorfman is still as giddy as a child on Christmas Eve.

Of course, he’s been that way for about a year, his excitement building with each shipment of materials to Bays Mountain Park. And after months of patient waiting, the gift will finally be unwrapped for the public on March 7, when the park’s newly remodeled planetarium will hold its grand opening.

Dorfman, planetarium educator and technician for the park, believes the facility will now be on par with other top-notch planetariums on the East Coast. With its fiber-optic star systems, LED lighting, surround sound and 360-degree video screen immersion, he says one would have to travel to Atlanta or Washington, D.C., for a comparable experience.

Bays Mountain prepares to unveil new planetarium - Kingsport Times-News Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 PM

7,502 posts, read 17,109,636 times
Eek! How exciting. I've not been in t hat planetarium in years! Will have to go now... SOON!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,341,090 times
I can't wait! We went every year on field trips in the Kingsport City Schools. I used to love getting one of those pencils at their little gift shop that had the tiny rocks and minerals in it and then the eraser on top was the stopper. LOL, what we remember huh?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,777,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I used to love getting one of those pencils at their little gift shop that had the tiny rocks and minerals in it and then the eraser on top was the stopper.
Believe it or not, they still sell 'em! I used to have a gazillion of those, great fun to sift through for "precious" gemstones. Man, I love Bays Mountain...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM

7,502 posts, read 17,109,636 times
I actually had a few of those too. No idea where I got them, maybe there... lol.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM

243 posts, read 689,374 times
Oh- I love Bays Mountain. I've never been to the planetarium, though. I cannot wait until I've finally moved back to the area.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,238,630 times
Bay's mountain is really becoming a destination spot. Seeing as the new aquatic center/water park of sorts will be on the same road to Bay's mountain with Meadowview convention center in between that with it's nice golf course, plans under way for the new river front in Kingsport.......wow. Things are really moving up in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol