U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM

20 posts, read 59,501 times

Advertisements

Hello out there. Could anyone help me out with some info about Johnson City. I will most likly be moving there soon to pursue a great job opportunity. The one thing is - I've never been there, and may not have a chance for a visit. I am a single mother with 2 kids - one will be starting kindergarten this coming school year, and my other still has a couple years yet before he starts school. I've heard that the schools in JC are good - is that true? As far as kid friendly areas is JC one of them? Also being a single mother I would need daycare - are there some good centers, or good people? I am going to come there knowing no one, so are people there really nice? How expensive is it to live there and raise kids? Please help me out with all the info you can. Thanks in advance!

KML
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,577,960 times
Hi, Welcome to the forum!
What part of JC are you looking at? Or have you found a spacific one yet? Yes, most of the schools here are very good. There are some day cares but they do fill up fast. Look through the last several pages of this forum, there is some great info about the entire Tri-Cities region that might be very helpful to you. Yes, there are lots of nice friendly folks here. If you happen to go to a church, they are all open and welcoming to new folks and are a great source of info and help when moving to the area. Some even have "ambassadors" that help with info and finding you way around and such.
I wish I had some direct info about day cares for you but mine are older, any one else?
How soon are you looking to move here? Have you lined up housing yet? If you call the Chamber of Commerce they will send you lots of info and a map which will be VERY handy.
Hope that helps some.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:27 PM

359 posts, read 1,517,341 times
KLM, although I love east TN and highly recommend it, I would never suggest to anyone to move somewhere without checking it out IN PERSON first to get a feel of the area. If there's any way to do this, please do it. Maybe the new employer would pay for a trip for you to come....

Good luck to you !

Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 PM

I totally agree with Granny on this one, but she did say she may have no way of doing that first.
Anyone else have any info that can help her out in her dilemma?
What other specific info are you needing?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 AM

Thank you mouse and Granny. Yes I would really love to see the area for myself first, and I really hope that I get that opportunity. I moved from California to Arkansas about little over a year ago. That move was a culture shock, but all in all not to bad. I knew no one here when I moved and had never been here before (it was one of those complete change of life type things). That ended up being a wonderful adventure, although alittle hard.

Now I have been given this opportunity for a job I have been wanting. It is still in the working process, but I would really like to be prepared because if all goes well it should happen fast. I am thinking that i would really like to be settled BEFORE school starts - is that in August in TN, too? States can vary so much (and cities too) that you never know.

Well I've looked up the newspaper for Johnson City and looked at some rent house prices. They seem to be about $600-up for 2-3 bedreooms. Is this the normal price? I would really like a house to rent, but am more in the price range of $400-$500. And I would need at least a 2 bedroom, but 3 is what I am really looking for. I know most of the time if you drive around a town you can find some better prices - anyone have any idea on the normal prices?

Are there any differences in the areas in Johnson City - I understand it is not a BIG city, but it seems to be just barely smaller than the one i am in now, and I know here there's the good side of town, and the bad side of town. Is it the same there. Or what about commute times from the towns nearby. I wouldn't mind a 15-20 minute commute it the town is nice.

PICTURES! Mouse I saw some of the pictures you took and they are beautiful! Any more pictures of this area? Anyone?

Churches - are there a lot of them? I can't say that i go on a regular basis, but I have been known to go to church. Are there any good contemporary christen churches?
Here i am just rambling on - any info on anything that you might feel is relevant to someone moving there and looking to stay. Good spots to camp, parks, swimming holes. We love the outdoors. Also is there a lot of open land?
What about horses - my kids would like to start riding lessons eventually, and if the horse prices in TN is like AR then eventually I would like to get one - but of course that is all down the road.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 AM

oh yea - What about cell phone companies? Are there any local cell phone companies for this area. Ones that charge a flat rate each month, have no contracts, no deposit. Most likely you can't travel very far with them because they have limited zones.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 PM

459 posts, read 1,185,041 times
You can find some lower apartment prices than that I'm sure. If not in Johnson City then check out Elizabethton (15 minute commute at the most), Jonesborough, and Gray (J'borough & Gray are even closer than Elizabethton).

Plenty of Christian churches. I couldn't tell you an entire list, but I'm sure the Johnson City chamber of commerce site has a listing.

I found some by searching google for "Johnson City, TN apartments" and found a site that listed multiple 2 bedroom (but they were only 1 bath) for $500 and some even less than that.

As far as cellphone companies, we have SunCom, Nextel, Verizon, Cingular, and a couple others. The plans will be the same as everywhere else. I would just shop around and find which one is best for you. I don't think there is anything local (of course I could be wrong).

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 03-27-2007 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 AM

Does anyone have any comments on fairmont elementary school? Good, bad?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 AM

My Niece and Nephew go to that school. It is a very good school, nice neighborhood too.
To answer your questions about rent, yes you can find a 2 or 3 bedroom house in decent neighborhoods for $500 to $600 a month. Usually that includes your water too. $400, not so much but it isn't impossible, you just have to be careful about the area. The only real "bad" areas I would say would be right downtown JC. You can find nice apartments or half duplex type units for $350 or $400. Check you PM, I'll give you a number for a good rental agency that will be able to help you out hopefully. Most of there units are in Kingsport, but they do have some in JC.
As for commute, you can get from downtown JC to downtown Kingsport in less than 20 minutes if that gives you an idea?
Here is a suggestion if you HAVE to move here before coming for a visit. Make appointments to see places before you get here, put your things in storage, plan to stay in a hotel for a week and look around and get to know the area a bit, talk with the schools, neighbors, ect. before you sign a lease. Or if you are using a moving Co, maybe they can store your things in the truck for the several days? Just a thought and throwing out some options.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 AM

630 posts, read 2,271,343 times
Very good suggestion.
That way, you'll be able to get a feeling about the town, and
be a little more familiar with the area.
I love exploring....
I never get lost, we go on adventures...
You can find really great stuff, when you go on adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Here is a suggestion if you HAVE to move here before coming for a visit. Make appointments to see places before you get here, put your things in storage, plan to stay in a hotel for a week and look around and get to know the area a bit, talk with the schools, neighbors, ect. before you sign a lease. Or if you are using a moving Co, maybe they can store your things in the truck for the several days? Just a thought and throwing out some options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol