U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:25 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,726,026 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a bar playing blues, classic rock and with an older crowd. I'm 42, not much of a drinker, but like to have a beer and listen to a good band. Heck I'd even go listen to a blue grass band play. Know any good ones? How do you find when bands are playing locally?

Thanks

Tony
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,189,337 times
Your best bet, IMO, is the Down Home. They'll be hosting the annual WETS Little Chicago Blues Festival April 23-25, so get your ticket(s) soon.

You can check for upcoming music events around the Tri-Cities here (http://www.gotricities.com/content/home.dna - broken link). Also, jabogitlu put together a handy list of live-music resources this time last year.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,850,306 times
Yeah... I think that would be a very cool venue here, but I just don't know if there is one.

the Down Home is great, a TREMENDOUS asset to Johnson City that a lot of people who live here don't even know about. That having been said, it's not really a bar, but you can get a pitcher (or just a draft) cheap enough. Good music. Open mic nights can be very interesting and the atmoshpere is much more laid back than when big name shows are in town.

Tony, this is a little off topic from your request, but I definitely would advise ya to check out some of the new 'bluegrass.' It's not Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs anymore. The Infamous Stringdusters show at Down Home last month was a-mazing, entertaining and funny.

Scott Miller and the Commonwealth (Apr 16-18) is scheduled at the Down Home. He's/they're not bluegrass and you would definitely like him:

Scott Miller - the Official Website

Thanks for posting the link to my post from last year, kam. Soon I'll try to do one for this year for some local fests and then one for regional (like Dumplin Valley in Kodak and Bluff Mountain in Hot Springs).

Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,663,840 times
As for the "older crowd", those of us over 30 that is hahahhaha, The Russo Orleans in North JC in the Kroger Shoping plaza is really becoming known as the place to go when they have the bands. They are kind of new to it and don't yet have bands every weekend but they say they are working on it. Which I hope they do, it is such a cool place with great food. I know they have Jerry Pierce playing there Saturday, which can draw a really older crowd and the David O'Rourke band playing the following saturday, which is for all ages. What is really cool about their place is that they have the restaurant and music separate so you can enjoy a meal, then go into the big ballroom to enjoy the band and dance without all the mixed food smells. They have a few bars in there too, it is a HUGE place but a very nice atmosphere.
I have also been to Visions on N.Roan heading from Science Hill to downtown. It is Ok, there was a county type singer that did some Bluesy numbers too. It has a really funky atmosphere with bars and lounge couches along with a large dance floor and there are a mix of crowd from young to old but a 21 and up crowd for sure as they are able to allow smoking inside.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,726,026 times
Thanks all,

I went out with the wife saturday, didn't know where to go, drove past the acoustic coffeehouse, but with 3 cop cars out front, kept driving on by

Wound up having a glass of wine and some pasta at the italian place downtown JC at the corner of E. main and Roan st, wasn't too bad.

I'll be taking a look at the Down Home.

Tony

Old 03-29-2009, 11:05 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,850,306 times
Hm, is that Russo's? Not really Italian, but I can't think of where you were.

It sounds like Alta Cucina but that's more uptown.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

171 posts, read 429,620 times
Default Jazz, R&B ???

What about jazz and r&b clubs, any clubs for that?? I'm hoping to move to town and I play jazz and need some places to play

Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 AM

34 posts, read 68,384 times
what about the accoustic cofeehouse, just a thought

Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 AM

34 posts, read 68,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Thanks all,

I went out with the wife saturday, didn't know where to go, drove past the acoustic coffeehouse, but with 3 cop cars out front, kept driving on by

Wound up having a glass of wine and some pasta at the italian place downtown JC at the corner of E. main and Roan st, wasn't too bad.

I'll be taking a look at the Down Home.

Tony
they have really great italian.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM

29 posts, read 65,828 times
I plan on moving to J.C. in 22 months, give or take, and I am an ex jazz drummer
and would love to see some good jazz in town.
On my past visits I saw that the chances were not good but that is part of the scene.
It may improve but I do not know if the population is that supportive of the venue.
I would love to do a two hour radio show once a week. How would that fly in the Tri-cities?
I asked about radio play for jazz on an earlier thread but there has been no response.
I am glad some folks are asking about it. The appitite just may be growing.
I love Basie and Anita O'Day and it's got to swing. Keep talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol