Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM

73 posts, read 113,663 times

Advertisements

Plan on retiring to the area in the next few years. I already own
property outside of Unicoi in Limestone Cove, but it's pretty much
vertical (but good hunting). The wife is used to convenience and
not as adaptable as I am. I've been thinking about Elizabethton
and scouring the web for "craftsman" style homes in the area.
I've already looked into the cost of living and it's far lower there
than here. Any information on Elizabethton and the real estate
market woud be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Well...it kinda depends on what your wifes definition of "conveniences" as to how that should be answered hahahahaha.
Elizabethton has a downtown, a rather historic one in fact, lots of little local owned shops, which some prefer, but a bit limited. There is a Wal-Mart and a Lowes in Elizabethton but that is about it as far as "big box" stores.
How far is she willing to travel if she needs more than that? If she is ok with 20 to 30 minutes, then JC is close enough.
As far as Craftsman style house, yea there are a few around the area, not sure if there are any for sale though, you could take a cruse around any of the national MLS sites, such as Realtor.com or similar and see. But as far as the Real Estate market in general, the whole area is pretty much holding it's own and increasing a bit, we haven't lost any value. The Sullivan County MSA, just up the road a bit from Elizabethton was just ranked #3 in the country in appreciation rates, so I would say it is good.
The biggest question would really be, would you enjoy living here? Cost of living is good and important to look at, but besides hunting have you looked into the area for activities? Are there things you would like to do and be comfortable with the way of life in general? It is a lot slower than a lot of other places, and in Elizabethton...well a bit slower.

add: Was just sent this link and thought of you, so came back to post it for you.
http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/regions_homes_beat_u.s._appreciation_rates/21958/ (broken link)

Last edited by mbmouse; 04-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 PM

50 posts, read 139,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafnir View Post
Plan on retiring to the area in the next few years. I already own
property outside of Unicoi in Limestone Cove, but it's pretty much
vertical (but good hunting). The wife is used to convenience and
not as adaptable as I am. I've been thinking about Elizabethton
and scouring the web for "craftsman" style homes in the area.
I've already looked into the cost of living and it's far lower there
than here. Any information on Elizabethton and the real estate
market woud be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but it might help.

Per our local MLS here's some numbers for Carter County excluding the Roan Mountain area:

For 2008 a total of 234 homes were sold with an average Days On Market (DOM) of 137 days. There were 65 - 2BR's at an average list price of 99,390 and an average sales price of 93,064, 140 - 3BR's @ 124,694/120,101, and 28 - 4BR's @ 385,775/361,139.

For YTD 2009, 45 homes @ 114DOM. 12 - 2BR's @ 70,591/67,499, 27 - 3BR's @ 109,224/105,370, and 6 - 4BR's @ 255,450/234,966.

Here's some links that might help as well: http://www.elizabethton.org/ TourElizabethton.com - Elizabethton/Carter County Tourism Association Watauga Lake Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol