Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 AM
Emu

8 posts, read 39,323 times

Advertisements

We visited the Tri-Cities area and learned that they have a problem with what they call ozone (aka air pollution). If your lungs are sensitive, it can be a problem. I never had a problem other places I have lived, but I had a definite problem there. Lungs become irratated and you don't want to breat because it hurts. If you are thinking of moving close to the mountains for fresh air.....think again. If you are not sensitive then you probably won't notice anything, but how does breathing all that air pollution affect your health down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 AM

65 posts, read 241,053 times
Emu,

I am a local and agree. I hate to travel to Kingsport, TN. It gives me headaches every time. Not sure it's "ozone" as much as chemicals from Eastman and the other industry there. Many people choose to work in Kingsport but live outside the city.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:25 AM

65 posts, read 241,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinemoon View Post
This is my first post here. One thing that I'm finding interesting is all these Florida folks going to East Tennessee and I will probably be one of them come October. Right now I pay nearly a thousand bucks a month rent here on the northside of Orlando, last month I got hit with a $249 electric bill (NOT running the a/c all the time) and don't get me started about the traffic.

I'm looking at possibly Johnson city. I see that evidently there's mall and the chain restaurants. How are the local places that aren't part of a chain? I like Applebee's, etc but I also like to sample local food and culture. Are the people friendly or are they stand-offish?

This may seem like strange question, but is there skiing nearby? I used to ski when my father was stationed in Germany and also visiting my Grannie in Maine. But oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be skiing in Florida for some reason .
Yes, there are plenty of locally-owned non-chain restaurants in Johnson City and the Tri-Cities. There is no shortage of eating establishments! I am a native, and think the people here are friendly. My family goes skiing in North Carolina which is about a one-hour drive.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,093 times
Plain Jane, good to hear it. I actually lived in places where there's little but the chains and it gets boring like that.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,093 times
I found a nice article on Johnson City.

Tennessee Relocation Guide - Johnson's Depot (Johnson City) Tennessee

"With limited traffic congestion, quality retail and residential developments, an environment with a Clean Air certification by the Environmental Protection Agency (one of only 2 metro areas in Tennessee in Air Quality Attainment), Johnson City's quality of life is a prime attraction."

And I already kinda want to go to the fossil site museum.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 20,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowles View Post
Hey,
Yup I was born in Hollywood Fl started my family there and moved out over to West Coast (Cape Coral0 13 years ago.
Was once a small nice community. Now too many poeple here, taxes have tripled, electric 230 a month, water 55 amonth and oh yeah, I just paid 13,000
to have city sewer in! And oh I just love hurricane season too dont you?
Anyhow just wanted to say hi. We are checking into moving to Tenn.
Checking into it. Are you also?
I'm in the cape also, we hate it. We moved here in 94 now looking in Elizbethton too.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
I am a little concerned about the pollution and breathing problems reported and have read an article talking about the high incidence of lung problems in the East TN area. Can anyone comment on Tri cities areas where the pollution is less of a problem? How about the Jonesborough area? Thanks--

Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinemoon View Post
This is my first post here. One thing that I'm finding interesting is all these Florida folks going to East Tennessee and I will probably be one of them come October. Right now I pay nearly a thousand bucks a month rent here on the northside of Orlando, last month I got hit with a $249 electric bill (NOT running the a/c all the time) and don't get me started about the traffic.

I'm looking at possibly Johnson city. I see that evidently there's mall and the chain restaurants. How are the local places that aren't part of a chain? I like Applebee's, etc but I also like to sample local food and culture. Are the people friendly or are they stand-offish?

This may seem like strange question, but is there skiing nearby? I used to ski when my father was stationed in Germany and also visiting my Grannie in Maine. But oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be skiing in Florida for some reason .
Sanguinemoon,
There are many local restaurants in Johnson City, and there is about every chain restaurant you can think of. The mall is also expanding, adding many more stores. The great thing about Johnson City is that it is small enough that there arent the traffic problems, etc. yet everything you need is here. North Carolina has some great ski slopes, and it doesnt take long at all to get there.

I just returned from "vacation" in Orlando. I was happy to return to Johnson City, just alot less stressful with the traffic, etc. And maybe i'm biased, but some of the most friendly people in the country are located in East Tennessee!!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
We visited the Tri-Cities area and learned that they have a problem with what they call ozone (aka air pollution). If your lungs are sensitive, it can be a problem. I never had a problem other places I have lived, but I had a definite problem there. Lungs become irratated and you don't want to breat because it hurts. If you are thinking of moving close to the mountains for fresh air.....think again. If you are not sensitive then you probably won't notice anything, but how does breathing all that air pollution affect your health down the road?
Okay, I appreciate you warning everyone, but I've lived in East TN all my life and have never had any problems. I also have never heard about ozone warnings on TV or anyone complain about it. Now, Kingsport I can see (with Eastman and all), but Greeneville/Elizabethton/JC/Bristol/Jonesborough I don't. Am I missing something?

Skiing is great. Multiple ski slopes in NC under an hour away, and Gatlinburg, TN has one (although I don't care for it much) which is about an hour and 20 minutes away.

JC has some good local restaurants. Sunny's is a great place downtown that has some down home cooking.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 9,434 times
Default me too

I've lived in central Florida all my life, and I don't care what anybody says, you never get used to the heat and humidity of summers here. I'd love to move to east TN or west NC to a higher elevation, and be able to spend more than a couple of weeks in April and October outside.
I live in a small city (20K people) and wouldn't want to live anywhere larger than that. I like knowing people at the grocery store and not getting stuck in traffic.
My husband and I would both need to find work: public relations, television production, plumbing sales type. What is the job market like?
After reading these boards, I am somewhat concerned about the air pollution in the tri-city area. How is that?
Are there any cities that fit what I'm looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol