U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
 
15 posts, read 54,408 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I'll be glad when all of these misplaced Floridians move to such a glorious state as Tennessee ! sooner or later our popluation will get thinned out of the people who made a mistake to move here in the first place ! Let the exodus begin ! everyone is not enittled to live on or near the ocean ! some people just can't afford it- it's smart to move elsewhere !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2007, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Telford, TN
1,065 posts, read 3,567,702 times
Reputation: 354
Default Hope to be up there soon.

My wife is an OR nurse and is awaiting word on a job at the VA Hospital at Mountain Home. We've been up a couple of times now and find that we like the whole area, but have set our sites on Gray or the Colonial Heights area of Kingsport. I have read quite a few things on this site about Gray, but was wanting to get the good and bad about Colonial Heights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 19,595,241 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
My wife is an OR nurse and is awaiting word on a job at the VA Hospital at Mountain Home. We've been up a couple of times now and find that we like the whole area, but have set our sites on Gray or the Colonial Heights area of Kingsport. I have read quite a few things on this site about Gray, but was wanting to get the good and bad about Colonial Heights.
Hi Williboy,
I would say the major differences between Gray and Colonial heights is that Colonial Heights is older, I don't mean that in a bad way, it is more established, has more business along route 36 than Gray's route 75. The houses in Colonial Heights and Gray are very comparable however again, newer in Gray, but in some of the subdivisions in Gray, I feel the houses have a bit less land, the houses a bit closer together than some of the similar in C.H. C.H. defiantly has more stop lights. Gray has more farm land.
Sullivan County (C.H.) has higher property taxes in general than Washington County but not by much. I know some of C.H. has both city and county tax and there is more talk of annexation of all of Colonial Heights. Most of Gray, except the Boone's Creek area, are county only taxes. I know, Colonial Heights and Gray basically boarder each other yet seem very different, I just can't quite describe the differences to well. hahahaha
As far as commute time, Gray is closer to the VA Hospital. Both have close water ways but I prefer Warriors Path state park in C.H. by far. In C.H. you are closer to a mall, the Fort Henry Mall, which I prefer over the Johnson City Mall.
Well, there are some comparisons and differences that I personally see between the two areas, not sure if it helped you any though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Telford, TN
1,065 posts, read 3,567,702 times
Reputation: 354
Thanks for your help mb. The info will be very helpful in deciding where we wind up going.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,041 times
Reputation: 10
Default acreage in Johnson City area

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any acreage around the Johnson City area. I have been to a couple of MLS sites and haven't been able to find anything. I am hoping a "local" might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Melissa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 19,595,241 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa123 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if there was any acreage around the Johnson City area. I have been to a couple of MLS sites and haven't been able to find anything. I am hoping a "local" might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Melissa
Hi Melissa,
Welcome to the forum. I have two questions for you before I can answer yours for you properly, what amount of acreage are you speaking of and how far away from city limits are you willing to be? What zip codes are you using for your search?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,041 times
Reputation: 10
Hi Mouse,
I am looking for 10 acres and up. Want to be able to have a couple of horses and some room to ride. Wouldn't mind being 30 to 40 min outside of town. As for the zip codes I don't know any of them. I have just been looking at the tri city MLS on the computer. Also, someone mentioned to me that there is a toxic dump site somewhere in that area, is that true??

Thanks for your help,
Melissa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
119 posts, read 370,380 times
Reputation: 40
Default speaking of zip codes

Can any of you locals tell me everything you know about the Tree Streets
area? It took me about 4 hours yesterday to figure out that it's in the 37604
zip, although I could only find 2 houses for sale & neither one appealed to me.

Is it a neat area? I found a website about it and it said there's a walking tour
around there at Christmas....so I'm assuming everyone decorates - what's the word? Competitively?

Is it safe? Are all the houses old? Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Memphis
460 posts, read 1,193,176 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQFL View Post
Can any of you locals tell me everything you know about the Tree Streets
area? It took me about 4 hours yesterday to figure out that it's in the 37604
zip, although I could only find 2 houses for sale & neither one appealed to me.

Is it a neat area? I found a website about it and it said there's a walking tour
around there at Christmas....so I'm assuming everyone decorates - what's the word? Competitively?

Is it safe? Are all the houses old? Thanks for any info.
Houses are all old. The tree streets are weird because you will have a mix of ETSU students and older people that have lived there their whole lives. I have no clue about the decorations.

It is a cool area, but I would rather live elsewhere in JC. I do like the location - they are right off the highway to Elizabethton and a rock's throw to downtown.

Should be safe enough; the only real crimes I've heard around that area as of recently was vandalism (graffiti on cars).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 19,595,241 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa123 View Post
Hi Mouse,
I am looking for 10 acres and up. Want to be able to have a couple of horses and some room to ride. Wouldn't mind being 30 to 40 min outside of town. As for the zip codes I don't know any of them. I have just been looking at the tri city MLS on the computer. Also, someone mentioned to me that there is a toxic dump site somewhere in that area, is that true??

Thanks for your help,
Melissa
Toxic dump? No, but they are creating a large toxic waste facility in Oak Ridge, but I don't think that will be considered a "toxic dump site" Could be wrong there though. But it is not close to the Tri-Cities area.
As for land, on Realtor.com, use the zip code 37615, the select "add near by areas, that will give you most of Washington County. Then use 37660 and do the same, that will give you most of the Kingsport area, also look up Rogersville and do the same for most of Hawkins County, look for the towns of Church Hill and Surgoinsville, those both have land for horses at reasonable prices.
Let us know how it goes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top