U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 PM

690 posts, read 1,272,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Houses are all old. The tree streets are weird because you will have a mix of ETSU students and older people that have lived there their whole lives. I have no clue about the decorations.

It is a cool area, but I would rather live elsewhere in JC. I do like the location - they are right off the highway to Elizabethton and a rock's throw to downtown.

Should be safe enough; the only real crimes I've heard around that area as of recently was vandalism (graffiti on cars).

The homes in the tree streets are old, but historic homes. http://www.treestreets.net/images/TreeStreetsTour.pdf (broken link) This website is a good place to look at some of the homes, and the architecture. The buyers of these homes vary widely, from parents wanting to buy these homes for their children to go to college (though these can be rather expensive for that purpose) to doctors who want to live in this neighborhood, to investors wanting to renovate the historic homes and sell for a profit. I can also say that homes in this area are not on the market very long.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 01:06 PM

80 posts, read 198,109 times
Hello.
About your questions! Most people in Johnson City for the most part are very nice. We have gotten in the last few years some new people from up north who seem to be stand offish. After you get to know them or after they get use to use be so friendly it rubs off on them an they adapt to the southern way of life. You can buy a nice house for 800-1200 per month or rent a nice place for 550-750 for a apartment or 650-1200 for a house. My house is 1800 sq ft and the electric bill runs 65-85 in the summer my gas in the winter runs maybe 120 avg. We have tons of the chain restaurants. But we have alot of the small restaurants to crave too. I would list them but the person in charge of this site would take them off. Even though I see Applebees, the big chain stores get to stay on there. Just another reason the Chains kill all the small businesses. I had a small coffee shop in Johnson City. Super nice, great coffee great service. After I was opened for 3 years, StarBucks so how well we were doing and opened across the street. Took 90% of my business in a 2 YEAR PERIOD. I sold out. I now run my skateboard shop. MOJO Skateboard Supply, I have owned almost 20 years and I am also a Realtor in Johnson City. My father just so happened to be the GM of Ober Gatlinburg in Gatlinburg in the 1980's. It is a ski slope. There are around 3 ski lodges within a 1 hour drive. Suger Mountain, Ski Beech and Wolf Laural. They are not vail or anything. But you can drive an hour, get to the slopes for a half session and be back home for dinner and work the next day. Cool Huh? Well Hope this info helps. my name is Joey Booth if you have any other queston feel free to contact me.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:40 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,576,927 times
You can list your favorite restaurants in the area, nothing at all wrong with that.
By the way, my son loves your shop .

Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,296 times
My husband and I live in Orlando. We have discussed moving to Tennessee after he was looking at the web-site City-Data. He was impressed with the area, as well as the location.

We have looked at different things in regards to the city, but needs some information from yourself. The schools, middle and high schools are a concern. I check the web site for the schools and was impressed with their policies with not only the cell phone issues but conduct & dress code as well. I just wish that some of the Orlando Schools would be more aggressive, not laid back.

I would appreciate an comments that you might have.

Thank you

My main concern is the schools , I would like to know if they grade the schools or how do you know that they schools are good. Also, the housing market- what is the median price and the turnover rate.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 PM

459 posts, read 1,184,407 times
City schools are great in Johnson City, at least speaking from what I know of Science Hill High School. There is also a couple of private schools (Providence Academy, University, Washington College, etc.), but in my opinion the city schools are just fine.

Couldn't really tell you much about the middle schools. The housing market seems to be about average for the South, maybe a little more in some areas; definitely A LOT lower than Florida, though.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,263 times
Hi everyone, I have lived in Florida for almost 40 years and it is getting harder to live here with the high cost of living and now the hurricanes that never was a problem until now. I live on the west coast and my husband has been a paint contractor for 30 years and I am a RN in the hospital. As you hear the new home construction has almost dried up this little town I live in will become a ghost town if things don't change because this is a construction town. All we hear is that people are moving to Tenn., GA, S Carolina because it is cheaper to live. Is this true and have you been seeing a lot of FL people move in and how do you Tenn people feel that a lot of Floridians are moving in if that is true? If we did move like the rest, would my husband have a hard time starting his business in Tenn. as a Painting Contractor?

Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,576,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery1122 View Post
Hi everyone, I have lived in Florida for almost 40 years and it is getting harder to live here with the high cost of living and now the hurricanes that never was a problem until now. I live on the west coast and my husband has been a paint contractor for 30 years and I am a RN in the hospital. As you hear the new home construction has almost dried up this little town I live in will become a ghost town if things don't change because this is a construction town. All we hear is that people are moving to Tenn., GA, S Carolina because it is cheaper to live. Is this true and have you been seeing a lot of FL people move in and how do you Tenn people feel that a lot of Floridians are moving in if that is true? If we did move like the rest, would my husband have a hard time starting his business in Tenn. as a Painting Contractor?
Hi, Welcome to the forum
Check out this thread in the main TN forum So Many Moving to Tennessee WHATS THE EFFECT? it might answer a lot of your questions. Knoxville seems to be having a lot of construction and growth. Also seems to be the place there is some resentment of FL folks moving in. Not much of that here in the Tri-Cities but then it is not as populated nor seeing such a growth. You will have no problem finding a good RN job in this area (I am speaking of the Tri-Cities are as that is where you posted your question) The nurses that I have talked with that work in local hospitals Love the work atmosphere, especially those that have moved from elsewhere. The pay will not be as good as FL, but the cost of living will be less too. As for hubby's painting, I honestly don't know. That could go either way.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,333 times
Please don't plan on relocating without finding a job first. The only exception is if you are a RN.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,120 times
I have bounced between Miami/Fort Lauderdale and Johnson City for the past 6 years. It's really odd to see a lot of other people feel like I do. I like Tennessee a lot better - the rents better, the people are nicer... it's just kind of on the boring side.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 PM

77 posts, read 226,876 times
Default Boring?

I guess it depends on what you like to do with your spare time. I remember growing up in S. FL - being bored. Besides the movies, the mall, and the beach, there just weren't too many things to do that didn't require a lot of money and/or time getting there.
I've been here almost 3 years, and have not been bored since I got here. Especially in the spring - fall season, there are plenty of outdoor activities, concerts, fairs, festivals, etc within a 1-2 hr drive (in just about any direction). There's music, art, theatre too. I agree, there is not much night life here, but I really don't miss that with all my new friends around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol