Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,427 times

Advertisements

I just found this site today and this is my first post. I have just returned from Greeneville , Tenn. My wife and I traveled with another couple and fell in love with the area. Long story short, we bought about 21 acres with the most beautiful mountain view we have ever seen. We split it. They took 15 acres and we took 6. Like you, I can't afford Florida anymore. It takes most of my wife's S/S check to pay the property taxes and Insurance. Oh. the best part, what I paid for the 6 acres would not buy a half acre in the country near Brooksville. I asked the real estate agent what my taxes would be on the 6 acres if I built a house valued at $150,000. He said it would be about $600 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Welcome to the forum jimmieglassblower and welcome to TN!
From my experience living in Greene County, I agree with the Realtor about the taxes. I pay less than that now in Washington County, but we have a house and about 3/4 acre, not 6. Some areas are more, some are less, but Greene County is nice and if you have beautiful mountain views, I bet you bought in South Greene?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,427 times
Yes, you are right, South of Greeneville, just off Rt70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Welcome to the forum jimmieglassblower and welcome to TN!
From my experience living in Greene County, I agree with the Realtor about the taxes. I pay less than that now in Washington County, but we have a house and about 3/4 acre, not 6. Some areas are more, some are less, but Greene County is nice and if you have beautiful mountain views, I bet you bought in South Greene?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM

48 posts, read 129,000 times
Red face I agree with ANIA and MommyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommykat17 View Post
I have bounced between Miami/Fort Lauderdale and Johnson City for the past 6 years. It's really odd to see a lot of other people feel like I do. I like Tennessee a lot better - the rents better, the people are nicer... it's just kind of on the boring side.
I grew up in Florida for most of my youth, like ARIA did. She talks about the malls and such so she is probably much youger than me. I am in my mid forties and where I grew up in Florida there were no malls and night-life. I think life here in Florida was much more fun back when it was more rural.

My wife and I bought property in Baileyton, which is in Greene County, and plan to retire there in a few years. We are looking forward to a more rural way of life. My wife is from a small town and I love to hunt and fish and hike and all that outdoors stuff.

Mommykat, maybe you should check out the hiking and outdoor activities in the area. There is a great website for that. www.appalachiantreks.com (broken link)

Also, the appalachian trail runs right through the area. The local chapter of the appalachian trail conference can also point you to some easy to moderate beginner hikes.

Just a thought.

Have a great day.

Bob.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
Okay, I'm going to be the wet blanket here. I moved to the Johnson City area (Gray, specifically) nineteen years ago. I am so sick of it I can't wait for my husband to retire so we can leave! Everyone talks about how "friendly" the people are...well, they're nice to each other...native to native, but if you "ain't from 'round here" as the local saying goes, it's another story. Don't mistake being called "honey" and "sweetie" in local establishments for friendliness! Note the remarks from the person regarding the "northerners" who move here. Generally speaking, locals are very prejudiced against anyone not born and raised here. Taxes appear to be cheaper but EVERYTHING gets taxed, including food (close to 10%). And if you don't fit the religious/political right-wing mold, you might as well plan on just keeping your mouth shut...Yes, it's beautiful but not without its share of problems. For me, the culture shock has never gotten any better, even after all these years.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:11 PM

54 posts, read 301,712 times
Default Oooh Katidid don't say that...

I'm planning on enjoying Johnson city, I am realistic every place has it's good and bad sides...but what you said worries me. The people I past along the way were polite for strangers and some even waved from thier front porches. I thought this was a free country and we are all God's children, yes I am from Florida, I hate the rat race, all I want is my own little place to leave my girls when I'm gone. We are hardworking and peace loving people...We fell in love with East Tenn. the mountains, the fresh air , all that space. I hope it NEVER turns into Florida I think its perfect just the way it is.
Is it really hard to find work there, because we are leaving our jobs here to start all over again there?! We sent applications ahead of time but no one has responded. Please give me some hope!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katidid View Post
Okay, I'm going to be the wet blanket here. I moved to the Johnson City area (Gray, specifically) nineteen years ago. I am so sick of it I can't wait for my husband to retire so we can leave! Everyone talks about how "friendly" the people are...well, they're nice to each other...native to native, but if you "ain't from 'round here" as the local saying goes, it's another story. Don't mistake being called "honey" and "sweetie" in local establishments for friendliness! Note the remarks from the person regarding the "northerners" who move here. Generally speaking, locals are very prejudiced against anyone not born and raised here. Taxes appear to be cheaper but EVERYTHING gets taxed, including food (close to 10%). And if you don't fit the religious/political right-wing mold, you might as well plan on just keeping your mouth shut...Yes, it's beautiful but not without its share of problems. For me, the culture shock has never gotten any better, even after all these years.
Hmm...I am from Florida, CT before that, I live in Gray, I am not Baptist. I have not found the same you have described. Sure, nowhere is perfect and not EVERYONE is friendly, and there are a few locals who don't want anyone moving here, but in general, I personally have found the opposite of what you have. Maybe we should do lunch one day??

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,629 times
Hi,
mbmouse, you have been very helpful in answering many of my questions. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a good buyers agent?

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa123 View Post
Hi,
mbmouse, you have been very helpful in answering many of my questions. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a good buyers agent?

Thanks,
Melissa
Sure, I'll be happy to, what town are you looking in? I know quite a few good ones, but want to make sure the one I refer knows the area you are interested in very well.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,629 times
mbmouse, I am looking along I-40...Jonesborough, Greenville, Elizabethon, Newport, Severville (think I spelled that one wrong)...I will be up in your area the second week of Sept. We will be there 7 to 10 days and would like to see as much as we can. Have made contact with one realtor who has been sending some MLS listings...But my other half read one of your postings that some of the realtors up there are just looking for people like us. That they ( the realtors) aren't the most honest. We just don't want to over pay for a piece of land because we are not "a local"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol