U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 PM

69 posts, read 235,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hi jcres,
Welcome to the forums! This is not a "booster site" by any means. It is a site for real people, just like you to voice your opinion of the area and answer questions to those who are looking for more information about a city/town/state. There are forums on city-data for every state and other topics as well. We are just a heavily moderated site and insist on everyone being polite and using the site only as it is intended, not a blog or chat room, but an information sharing forum. So glad to have you and your insight. I agree about the tires, that is awful! Saw it on the news the other day and glad they are addressing it, hop it gets resolved/cleaned up soon!
Hi All:
I'm 60 years old (a young 60 - aren't we all?) and my father was born and raised in JC. His parents/grandparents were from the same area and back for several generations and before that Asheville (Buncombe County) and before that Virginia, etc. I've traced 9 generations in the US. My point is: I moved away from JC when I was in the 3rd grade to Michigan - where my father worked for GM for about 40 years and retired with a great pension, medical insurance, and all the other bennies that old time auto workers got.

I had to grow up in this awful place (I won't try to describe it because everyone would start to hurl and we want to be positive here!) Anyway, I want to move back to E TN. My sister and I did a genealogy tour last summer and we're both in awe of the area. I want a hometown where people are friendly, they don't honk and give you the finger one second after the light changes. In addition, I remember my grade school (Columbus Powell in JC) and drove by and had many wonderful memories.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of people moving to JC from FL. Is this a pattern/happening often? That's pretty scarey, as it could become an "ASHEVILLE" and no one who wants to move to JC wants it to become an "Asheville" - at least I hope not.

So, I'm asking that if a single woman over 50 moves to JC, are there any activities, parties, options to meet nice men about our age? Is this a town that provides community opportunities to meet people?

Thanks for any guidance.
PeggyM

Last edited by PeggyM; 09-02-2007 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: wasn't finished
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 25,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
I've also noticed that there are a lot of people moving to JC from FL. Is this a pattern/happening often? That's pretty scarey, as it could become an "ASHEVILLE" and no one who wants to move to JC wants it to become an "Asheville" - at least I hope not.

Becoming an Asheville is the goal of the URA which owns a lot of property downtown and is responsible for the Tipton Street development as well as most of the Johnson City Development Authority. The city government, however, has not really shown a lot of interest in developing downtown, other than to redo the street and sewer infrastructure for the Tipton St. project after URA rounded up several millions of dollars of investment. According to friends of mine in the real estate business there has been a very, very significant increase in interest in the form of phone calls and visits to their offices from the so-called "half-backs" - i.e. people from yankeeland who moved to Florida, don't like it, but don't want to move all the way back north. However, the impact seems to be more in the suburbs than core Johnson City. To say suburbs is not quite adequate. They are housing developments (mostly on the north end of town toward Kingsport) that are separate physically from the city, but since Tennessee allows cities to annex unincorporated areas without any votes J.C. extends miles in every direction so includes these 'burbs. This makes for a very different kind of city from what you may be accustomed to if you live in Michigan. It seems to me that the folks moving here from Florida are spreading out throughout upper east Tennessee from Johnson County (look up Red Tail Mountain) to Greeneville and all points in between. Additionally, the Kingsport downtown is aggressively working toward Ashevillization and it is only 25 miles from downtown J.C. and 15 - 20 miles from places like the Ridges and Gray. All of that tells me that it is unilikely that J.C. will become Asheville, but it will continue to change in ways uniquely its own.

I can't help you with the social scene, other than to say that it seems like the easy answer is to become active in a church. That my sound like Ann Landers, but in our community church is a very core social element and the one thing that will put you in contact with a lot of people (assuming you join one of the larger churches) and since you won't have kids in school, it is a very good way to get into the community. There are also lots of volunteer opportunties in the various civic groups incuding the arts commission, the symphony, several of the city committees and all of the standard service providers such as the Red Cross. J.C. is relatively welcoming in this regard.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,918 times
we live clearwater,fl and we feel your pain... this is also one of the reason we are moving to Johnson city!! See you soon!!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 AM

45 posts, read 160,223 times
I was raised in Miami but moved from there to the peaceful, quiet, unspoiled, small town of Edgewater, FL, when I retired. Everyone complains about the Floridians moving to TN, NC, GA, etc., but we've been dealing with transplanted northerners for as long as I can remember. All governments in FL seem to want to "build their tax base," which means lots of new developments. My small town--where everyone built different styles of houses--has welcomed development after development of the same few houses over and over.
Along the way, the local governments have raised the property taxes so most retirees cannot afford them. Besides, I want a relatively small town. So I'm ready to leave FL, but I'm not ready for much snow shoveling, snow/ice driving, etc.
The Tri-City area appeals to me, but I don't want to live in Johnson City. I want to be close to all its conveniences. I have hated FL summers all my life, so I'm looking for the coolest--therefore, highest(?)--town around JC. Is there a town closer to the mountains but still convenient to JC? Ideally, it would be a town on / near a river, stream, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. I promise if I move up there, I won't say what so many Floridians seem to say: "This is the way we do it in Florida." If I wanted it done like in FL, I'd stay in FL. I've seen bumper stickers in NC that read "We don't care how you did it in Florida."

Last edited by galena; 10-15-2007 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,585,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galena View Post
I was raised in Miami but moved from there to the peaceful, quiet, unspoiled, small town of Edgewater, FL, when I retired. Everyone complains about the Floridians moving to TN, NC, GA, etc., but we've been dealing with transplanted northerners for as long as I can remember. All governments in FL seem to want to "build their tax base," which means lots of new developments. My small town--where everyone built different styles of houses--has welcomed development after development of the same few houses over and over.
Along the way, the local governments have raised the property taxes so most retirees cannot afford them. Besides, I want a relatively small town. So I'm ready to leave FL, but I'm not ready for much snow shoveling, snow/ice driving, etc.
The Tri-City area appeals to me, but I don't want to live in Johnson City. I want to be close to all its conveniences. I have hated FL summers all my life, so I'm looking for the coolest--therefore, highest(?)--town around JC. Is there a town closer to the mountains but still convenient to JC? Ideally, it would be a town on / near a river, stream, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. I promise if I move up there, I won't say what so many Floridians seem to say: "This is the way we do it in Florida." If I wanted it done like in FL, I'd stay in FL. I've seen bumper stickers in NC that read "We don't care how you did it in Florida."
Hello,
From what you describe about what you are looking for I would say you should look into Watuaga Lake and the area around it. There is some beautiful places and land up that way. It is really closer to Elizabethton but still not to far from Johnson City. I'd say less than an hour drive, but that really depends on where around the lake you are. It is also close to Boone NC.
Outdoors-Watauga Lake (broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 98,725 times
Hi,

I am researching this from Manila. We brought our three daughters here ten years ago to get them through high school and college and to give them a sense of where their mother came from. They will be graduating soon and we are looking for a new home in the U.S. The field is wide-open with one caveat: two of them want to pursue medicine, so we want to move to a city with a good medical school. Since my wife and I are looking at supporting two med students, we need an area that is affordable.

My wife is an RN, and our eldest is about to finish the same course. I am a licensed marine engineer so all I need is a good airport to fly out of. Jobs are not too serious of an issue for us.

I saw some references on this forum to ETSU, and just wondered what their reputation was in the medical field. I see that Johnson City has a Catholic Church, so that helps. Does anyone know of any Fil-am families in the area? Would we feel out of place, d'ya think? We lived in Jacksonville, FL before going to the Philippines, but returning to Florida just isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for any comments. I've read through this whole forum and I have to say y'all are doing a great job!

Craig (from my 11th floor condo, overlooking the venerable University of Santo Tomas)

Last edited by ctnski; 11-11-2007 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: after thought

Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcres View Post
I'm well aware of these sites - have lurked for some time - this one just seems a bit over the top in terms of the glowing descriptions of the area. On the other hand some of the other cities, particularly in the near midwest have downright depressing threads with nothing positive. Having consulted extensively in some of those cities they are underestimating their own worth so I guess it is better to be positive, even if there is hyperbole.

I'm not optimistic about the above happening. If you have never done so take a float from about Hunter Bridge to the park in Elizabethton and try to count the tires, not to mention all of the other trash. It is even sadder because of the clarity of the water. I will say that the fish don't seem to mind.
This area is like any other in the respect that you will always have the "bad apples", in the barrel. I spent many years in the beautiful Pacific Northwest region of our United States. Considered by many to be pristine, it too has its area's of shame. Much of that area is wilderness and yet there are still people who trash it up. So I wouldn't knock this area so hard. Take a drive on I-40 through southern California and see what kind of trash they have all over their interstates. Having been in 48 of our 50 states, I think we're doing pretty good.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,149,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnski View Post
Hi, I am researching this from Manila...Since my wife and I are looking at supporting two med students, we need an area that is affordable.

My wife is an RN, and our eldest is about to finish the same course. I am a licensed marine engineer so all I need is a good airport to fly out of. Jobs are not too serious of an issue for us.

I saw some references on this forum to ETSU, and just wondered what their reputation was in the medical field. I see that Johnson City has a Catholic Church, so that helps...Would we feel out of place, d'ya think?
I love the Philippines, traveled for 3 weeks there in '93...wonderful, friendly people.

ETSU's med school is renowned for its rural medicine program (ranked No. 3 nationally by US News & World Report) and is also strong in family care & primary care education.

Tri-Cities Airport is a 20-25 minute drive from downtown JC.
Tri Cities Regional Airport (broken link)

I don't think y'all would feel out of place in JC though you might experience reverse culture shock after leaving Manila. While JC isn't nearly as culturally or ethnically diverse as Jacksonville, of course, about 10% of the population is non-white. There are quite a few (Asian) Indians in JC due to the medical community. FWIW, my Asian girlfriend has never experienced any overt racism or prejudice in her 4+ years of living in NE Tennessee.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM

22 posts, read 98,725 times
Thank you, kamoshika, for the positive feedback.

I am especially pleased with your info on the ETSU medical program. Our two youngest have high aspirations, but finding the right combination of med school and community for us is not without pitfalls. To take one example, several of the schools we have considered are in cities with harsh winters, and I just could not bring myself to fly out to a job on a ship for three months and leave my wife and girls to deal with that. The climate in NE TN seems mild enough that that would not be a problem.

After their education is complete, we would like to stay where we are for retirement. Johnson City looks like a pleasant place to spend one's later years. If our girls decide to marry and move somewhere else (I was about to write, "over the rainbow," ha ha), then they will know where to find us. That area is about as centrally located east of the Mississippi as one could wish for.

So, JC is looking very inviting and we will definitely visit when we are done here in Manila in 2009. They all need to get their driver's licenses (even I don't drive in Manila: horrendous!) and I would just as soon they do that in our new community.

Once again, I am grateful for your response.

Craig

Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,544 times
people are very friendly in Johnson City. There are several places that I find charming that aren't part of chains, like the acoustic coffeehouse on walnut street (down from ETSU), Poor Richards bar and restaurant, and several little places in the heart of downtown. The southside is a better place to live...traffic on the northside of town is terrible and that's the new home of large, expensive homes and cookie-cutter houses. The area around downtown and ETSU are older and more relaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol