U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,624 times

Advertisements

Never posted before, so please bear with me.
I've been reading all about JC and surrounding areas on the forum with great interest as my husband and our four kids are thinking of emigrating to your part of the world. My mother in law live up in Pennsylvania during the summer and winter in Florida, they suggested East TN as we wanted a climate more or less like here in England. We want to move because it is just too expensive here. We have £2000 coming in and the same going out on utilities, mortage, food, petrol etc and there's nothing left to go anywhere with the kids. I am a nursery school teacher's assistant for 2 to 5 year olds and my husband is a lettings property manager, are there any jobs of that kind? Our youngest boy is 6, next boy is 10, next boy is 13 and our daughter is 16 and taking her end of school exams summer 2008. She wants to do a course in musical theatre and go on to performe. She wants to stay in London as she thinks she'll have a better chance of fame there and would have to live in New York to have the same chance, is this true can anyone tell me? We don't want to leave her behind, although we do have family who would look out for her here. One worry we have is, would our boys have a hard time adjusting to the American school system especially our eldest as we won't be able to emigrate for another year or so as we are waiting for all our paper work to go through to get our green cards and our kids will be a year older?
We are coming over to Florida in April and going to hire a car and drive up to JC and have a look around, I think the schools will still be in session so we can hopefully go in and see what they are like. We are also thinking of working in Knoxville and living in Maryville as I've read the schools in the city are very good so we'll drive over there too. Is there any English families that have made the move who could give us some info, are we in for a big culture shock?
Can't wait to visit!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,620,715 times
Hi Becky,
Welcome to the forums and soon the USA.
I have a few work related associates who have moved here from other countries, one being England. She and her family love it here in the Tri-Cities. At the moment they are on holiday (we call it vacation) in CA and she is due back later next week. I will see if she will log on here and send you a direct message and help you out with questions you may have about from there to here. Personally, I love the schools in this area but I can not even begin to compare schooling from here to England so I will leave that to my associate.
Hope that will help.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,624 times
My first reply! Thankyou.
We are very nervous and excited all at the same time. I lived in Florida Cocoa Beach for 3 years but that was back in 1985 and I expect a lot has changed since then, but even though I didn't have kids then it seemed to be very child friendly much more so than here and people would say hello to me even though I didn't know them, I thought that was really nice. I had better back track on my original post and ask if there are any BRITISH people over there or I'll get my wrists slapped!!
Looking forward to hearing from your associate when she gets back. Could you please tell me what driving is like when there's snow because I am absolutely terrified of driving in it, they only grit the main roads over here so it's lethel getting from your door to the main road!
Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

15 posts, read 54,515 times
Thank GOODNESS for this forum! (just found it today) Brand spankin' new here, and "another" person tired of living in FL (northeast area) for the past 30 years. I am intensely looking into the tri-city areas to relocate come retirement, and I'm trying to get a jump start on purchasing property that overlooks the mountains, or is along a lake, or at least a nice sized creek out back. I have spent a minimum of 75 hours so far researching properties on the net but the information is often so ambiguous that it eventually becomes disheartening to press on. I've been reading a lot of the posts here and am soaking up the knowledge like a sponge. Does anyone perhaps have a general idea of the best areas to purchase land (2 to 5 acres max) for a future homesite that will provide either: mountain views, lakefront, lake access, creekside? A big, hearty "Thank You" to everyone the takes the time to respond to the inquiries- I can already tell this is a great forum with a plethura of information.

Oh yes, one more thing: does anyone know for sure if TN taxes out-of-state government pensions? Is it considered retirement income and therefore exempt?

Last edited by { Durf }; 11-29-2007 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Add information

Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM

48 posts, read 117,762 times
Default Know what you mean nurskim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurskim View Post
Hi-we're another soon to be Florida to Tennessee transplant family. Same complaints as everyone-my homeowners insurance is now $5000 a year, the crime is crazy and so is the traffic. I grew up in a small town (8000) in Wisconsin and came to Port St Lucie 12 years ago to watch the population here skyrocket from 70k to 180k! No thanks-I need a nice family oriented area where my 2 yr old can play in the yard without being abducted. I love everything I've read and heard about the Johnson City area-looking toward Grey-that's where the lake is,right? How's the drive from there to the VA hospital? How are the schools?
I know what you mean about PSL...We still live there and are hating it.... Just biding our time till we retire and move to our property in Greene County, Tennessee.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:28 PM

48 posts, read 117,762 times
Default Flood insurance requirement???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hi,
Well, the "iffy" parts if JC, in my opinion of course, is the are over by Legion Street and any area that is in West downtown over my Market Street.
As for flood insurance areas that is along the water front of Boone Lake and only some of those as some of Boone Lake is kinda cliff sideish. There are a few areas along feeder creeks that might require flood insurance coverage but it really isn't that much of an issue here. I'd say a safe guess would be less than 5% of Tri-Cities properties require flood insurance.
Wheel tax is a tax you pay in the county you live when you pay to get local tags for your car and their renewal, but seeing as the total (including this tax) is only $24.oo per year, it's no big deal.
Hope that helps.
MBMouse...Our property is about five miles north of Baileyton along Horton Highway...I know you told me before that you are familiar with the baileyton area... Do you know if that area requires flood insurance???

Thanks...

Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,620,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybob63 View Post
MBMouse...Our property is about five miles north of Baileyton along Horton Highway...I know you told me before that you are familiar with the baileyton area... Do you know if that area requires flood insurance???

Thanks...
Hello,
I do not believe it does. If you are mortgaging your property the lender will require a flood certification, this is required, even if your property is on the top of a mountain LOL! This is something the lender does and will tell you for sure if you are required to have flood insurance.
You could always look up your property on the flood maps. They are by FEMA give this link a try: https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stor...0001&langId=-1

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,170,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by { Durf } View Post
I am intensely looking into the tri-city areas to relocate come retirement, and I'm trying to get a jump start on purchasing property that overlooks the mountains, or is along a lake, or at least a nice sized creek out back.... Does anyone perhaps have a general idea of the best areas to purchase land (2 to 5 acres max) for a future homesite that will provide either: mountain views, lakefront, lake access, creekside?
For mountain views try Hawkins Co. (Surgoinsville/Rogersville area), Greene Co. (Baileyton, Chuckey, and almost anywhere east of Greeneville), western Washington Co. (Limestone, Telford), rural Sullivan Co. (especially near Bluff City & So. Holston Lake), Carter Co. (Roan Mountain), and Unicoi Co. (Unicoi, Flag Pond, outskirts of Erwin).

If you look at a aerial map of NE Tennessee like the one linked below, you'll see that we're surrounded by mountains, lakes & rivers:
Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

IMO, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you buy river view/river front property rather than lake view/lake front, and the Holston River flows through Sullivan & Hawkins counties on its way to Knoxville, TN.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,600 times
I lived in FL for 2 1/2 years. I liked some things about it and disliked a whole lot more. I love it in this area of TN. We have a low crime rate, and the schools are pretty good. We have three major universities and a lot of small colleges within driving distance. Plus, we are next to the mountains and have the best trout fishing anywhere! What is not to like?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 AM

19 posts, read 54,516 times
Hi,
My husband and I are looking at the Johnson City area. Concerned about the air quality. Can someone share their thoughts on this and the quality of health care in this area? How's the real estate market? When's the best time to move there?
Appreciate any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol