Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 02:36 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband and I will be visiting the Tri-Cities next week to look around at the various neighborhoods. We are really interested in a house on a lake where motor boats are allowed. I have seen one or two listings (looks like they are in Boone) but I was wondering if there are any other lakes or waterfront areas we should be looking at. Someone told me there was a subdivision that was waterfront, but I can't find it anywhere. Schools are important, so I don't want to wander out of the Tri-City area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
There is also Watauga Lake in Carter County, but it is a different school district, which you would want to consider. I personally like Boone Lake, and there are a couple of neighborhoods with current listings. Lake Meadows is beautiful but expensive. Waterbrooke homes are also nice and much more affordable. Here is the subdivision website: Waterbrooke (broken link). There is also a set of four lots being sold on the lake, called Waters Edge. Prices vary from 100,000 to 200,000 and are about .3 to .5 acre each.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
There is also Patrick Henry in Kingsport (Colonial Heights). So many lovely lakes and areas to choose from. God is good to east Tennessee!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 13,306 times
Default Another Lake

In bristol there is South Holston lake.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:16 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog100 View Post
In bristol there is South Holston lake.
I have a friend who lives on the part of Holston Lake that's in Virginia. My wife and I both love this area, but from what I've seen at realtor sites, homes that skirt the lake on the Virginia side are way out of our price range.

Ideally, I'd like to find a newer home (less than 10 years old & about 1800 Sq Ft) in a rural setting that's away from it all, but I'd like to keep the price at less than $250,000. Being right on the lake wouldn't be that important, but we're just not interested in buying something in a cookie cutter development. We're empty nesters in our sixties, so we're not concerned about schools. A peaceful, picturesque setting would be our highest priorities, with maybe a supermarket/shopping within a 30 minute drive something we should think about.

What towns or counties shoud I be looking at?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I have a friend who lives on the part of Holston Lake that's in Virginia. My wife and I both love this area, but from what I've seen at realtor sites, homes that skirt the lake on the Virginia side are way out of our price range.

Ideally, I'd like to find a newer home (less than 10 years old & about 1800 Sq Ft) in a rural setting that's away from it all, but I'd like to keep the price at less than $250,000. Being right on the lake wouldn't be that important, but we're just not interested in buying something in a cookie cutter development. We're empty nesters in our sixties, so we're not concerned about schools. A peaceful, picturesque setting would be our highest priorities, with maybe a supermarket/shopping within a 30 minute drive something we should think about.

What towns or counties shoud I be looking at?
Hello,
If you are looking for something less than 10 years old, 1800 SQ FT and 30 minutes out, not in a develpoment........look in a lower price range on a MLS site such as Realtor.com and you should have quite a bit to choose from.
Here is what I pulled up in just a few minute search.

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

A note: This one says "Henley Estate" as subdivision, but if I am not mistaken, that is just the name associated with the land at the court house, not necessarily an actual subdivision, it is just the name of the area. This is common in East TN to list this way, some are true subdivision. A Realtor can tell you for sure.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Thanks for your help, MbM. These are certainly below budget!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Default RE: Waterbrooke's two "lakes"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
...I personally like Boone Lake, and there are a couple of neighborhoods with current listings. Lake Meadows is beautiful but expensive. Waterbrooke homes are also nice and much more affordable. Here is the subdivision website: Waterbrooke. There is also a set of four lots being sold on the lake, called Waters Edge. Prices vary from 100,000 to 200,000 and are about .3 to .5 acre each.
They are extremely small (<10 acres) and are probably more accurately described as ponds. So while one can indeed live next to a body of water @ Waterbrooke, the traditional lakefront/waterfront "lifestyle" would not be possible there. Still, the small-lake concept seems to have worked well at Hunter's Lake (just down the street from Waterbrooke) so some folks must like it. Here's the subdivision's layout:
Waterbrooke (broken link)

Instead of shelling out megabucks for true lakefront properties like those at Boone, it seems that quite a few folks are opting to build or buy alongside the Holston River...and it is navigable (in most places) by motorboat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol