U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,243,831 times

Advertisements

Good News: My electric bill was significantly lower for March/April. Anyone else notice this?

Bad News: Washington County (JC, TN) sent me a new assessment. Ouch. Anyone sympathize with me here? I'm thinking about appealing...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 AM

166 posts, read 482,248 times
My electric bill was cut in over 1/2... I know I used a little less this month, because last month I'd have to keep the air on one day, the heat on the next. Now I can keep it opened up and keep my cold-weather chinchillas in their own room with an A/C. Regarless, I am happy! Saving $60 from what I budgeted.

As for an assessment, I assume that is for homeowners.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM

295 posts, read 697,564 times
Default assessment

Yup, with you there. I expected to see a big jump in assessment or property tax rate after voters voted down the wheel tax but my assessment jumped 34%. Should add close to 200 dollars to my county tax bill. My neighborhood R/E prices have not fallen but they have not gone up either as the condo market is currently flooded with new units which have been dropped in price which is driving our profits down. I accept that they should have gone up but this is too much too fast and will also work to lower our resale values. I appealed in writing with a certified letter because the phone number they supply is busy constantly. A neighbor stated someone they knew screamed all over them this week that no one had been by to see her home so how could they raise her assessment? Apparently, they promised to send someone out to review her home.
Again, I accept increasing taxes as a fact of life and willing to pay my fair share but these went up too much, too fast.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,214,839 times
Huh. I got my reassessment form yesterday too, mine only went up 10k in assessed value,which is more than I expected but that means my property resale value went up more than I thought, which is good. It will add about $40 a year to my tax bill. I am in the county only tax area. Do you guys who it went up, you feel a large jump, live in the city? You do realize that the mileage rate will go back down right?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM

I'm in JC. What do you mean about the mileage rate?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM

708 posts, read 1,368,343 times
Also realize that the tax rate will decrease after this assessment. That is the biggest misconception right now. I still expect to pay more taxes than before, but some of this will be offset by the lower tax rate.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM

What is the rate now and what will the rate be? Does it pertain to Washington Co, JC, or both?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 PM

50 posts, read 129,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
I'm in JC. What do you mean about the mileage rate?
It's actually the "millage" rate. It is the amount used to calculate the tax. You start with the Tax Assessor's appraised value, not to be confused with an appraisal performed for a mortgage loan (my experience has been that the tax assessors value is always lower than the value of the property compared to the appraised value for loan purposes). Washington County uses 25% of that appraised value which is termed as the "Assessed" value. The assessed value is multiplied by the millage rate then divided by 100 to get the actual property tax amount.

On a home with a tax assessor appraised value of $100,000: 100,000/25= 25,000 x $2.45 (millage rate) = 61,250/100 = $612.50/yr in property taxes.

Here's a link to an article in today's JC Press JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN (http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/09/News/article.php?ID=68297 - broken link)

The 2.45 rate is the current Washington County rate. All residents of the county including those in the JC city limits pay county taxes. For those that are also located in the city limits they also have to pay city taxes on their property. It will be determined at a later date what the new rate will be.

Here's a link that shows the rates for all counties/cities in TN http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/LR.asp?W=07 (broken link). You'll see that the city rates are lower than the county rates.

Last edited by Tri-Cities Native; 04-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: added more info

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM

OK, millage makes more sense. So to summarize, we don't know yet what the millage rate will be for county or city. It also seems that the county and the city can adjust the rate after a public hearing.

For some reason this still doesn't sound good.

But IF IF the county millage rate goes down 10% and Johnson City stays the same my taxes will go up at total of $.70. I can live with that.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,214,839 times
Sorry, spelling error there, yes millage rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>