Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,657 times

Advertisements

The wife and I have made our home in Florida for 20 years and have finally had enough of the heat, high property taxes and ridiculous home prices. We are seeking a potential retirement/pre retirement home in the NE area of TN. Must haves in our dream location would consist of a decent tract of land, 5-50 acres; love to have a private/semi-private freshwater pond or lake, good for fishing. We are simple homebody type folks that need our privacy and respect everyone else’s. No longer hunters but do like to keep and fire our arms occasionally. Would love to have a mountain view but don't really have a desire to live "in" the mountains and fight ice covered steep roads. We are in the "looking" stage, but could get serious real quick. I am coming up in a couple of months to have a look around, in hopes that perfect location jumps out and grabs me. Any suggests on location would be most appreciative. We both currently work in private schools and a big shopping day for us is when we hit Sam's, Wal Mart and Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks in advance for any advice and I want to say I think this is an awesome and extremely informative forum and that I am impressed by the kindness and of most of the posters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Okay, first off, the city limits of Johnson City and Kingsport sound too busy for ya.

A few random suggestions, there are many, many, many more:

1) eastern Greene County, from the Chuckey-Afton area all the way down the 107 Highway to Washington County and down the Asheville Highway (outside the city, that is) to North Carolina. These locations are rural enough, if you find the right place (especially in Southeastern Greene - around Camp Creek) but could quickly become "too" Appalachian for ya. Close (within 10-20 minutes) to Greeneville with its Walmart and Lowe's, JCPenny and Belk. The Chuckey area is 25-40, depending on the time of day, minutes to Johnson City on the 11-E.

2) Unicoi County, outside of Erwin, up towards Unicoi (the town) or over towards Okolona. Or for that matter, up the other direction towards Flag Pond. All of this will be close to Erwin which has Walmart and (I'm sure, but not exactly sure) some sort of construction/hardware/general store. Also within a 20 minute drive to Johnson City.

3) Rural southern Washington County, centered at the intersection of state route 81 (not I-81) and the 107 Highway. Embreeville could fit you well enough. (This, really, is an extension of suggestion #1 as the 107 in Greene County runs into Washington, then dead-ends at SR 81). If you prefer, you could go into Erwin to shop, or Jonesborough is a quick 10-15 minutes the other direction. Or for bigger purchases, Johnson City is 20-25 minutes on out the 11-E (or alternately up route 67).

Those're my suggestions as these are the areas I'm most familiar with. Other posters I'm sure will be able to help you with areas in northern Washington, Sullivan, and Johnson counties. One good thing about living here is that you can have a decently private/rural piece of land and still be within 10 minutes of a community (like Jonesborough) and 20-25 (or less) to a "major" city like Johnson City or Kingsport.

Keep in mind, though, that the further out you get, the longer you'll have to drive for necessities (like toilet paper... growing up in the country I learned you don't take a shopping trip lightly!) and medical care. If medical is important to you, you should let us know as we can tailor our suggestions toward areas with a straight shot to JCMC or other hospitals in the area.

Just FYI, there are two Lowe's in each of the 3 Tri-Cities (well one of Johnson City's is technically in Jonesborough), two Wal-Marts in JC and Bristol (are there two in Kingsport? I think so, but can't place either one at the moment), and two Sam's Clubs in the region - one in JC and one in Bristol.

Greeneville, a town on the western fringe of the metro also has Lowe's and Walmart.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 PM

149 posts, read 411,692 times
I would suggest Washington County down around 107 just as JAB suggested. You're post makes me think anywhere in the Johnson City area should fit you just fine, as long as you're out of city limits

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 AM

[FONT=Verdana]Thank you to both Jabogitlu & DBradley for your insights. Sounds like you are both on the same page and that I need to get on that page! Medical is always important but like some of the other posters I have read, I am more concerned with emergency care. We are still in the "younger" category, although I have been told that is more of a state of mind than an age calculation! I was looking for rural with a few minutes drive to a larger city for amenities. We initially started looking in North Carolina, outside of Ashville, but the state tax and very liberal living drove us back towards Tennessee, seeking a bit more conservative area. My wife and I are originally from North Mississippi, so the heavily wooded areas and country living are very attractive to us. We are Cracker Barrel folks and our motto is "live and let live." Our long term plan is to build a log cabin and then move the two remaining parents onto the site with us so we can enjoy what is left of our time together. We love to feed deer and birds and are all into photography and fishing, hence the importance of finding a nice freshwater lake. I will focus my sights on the above areas for my upcoming trip. Prior to hearing from you, I was researching all over the place. It is hard without being there so you can see it, but I needed a starting point and that is what you have provided. I have been reading about your sales taxes(not state taxes) there and they seem to be all over the place on percentages. Do you know what the sales taxes are on the above mentioned areas? Thanks again![/FONT]

Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 AM

431 posts, read 1,219,464 times
Default Those are great suggestions.

My fil has 66 acres in Fall Branch and another 60 out in Green Co. near Beech Creek (sp?).

Gray is also a nice area where you can still find land.

Those are within view of some mountains but not the bigger ones you see towards Erwin.

You can see mountains just about anywhere around here but Erwin, Unicoi have beautiful views.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
From reading your preferences, I would put you on the Watauga River in Stoney Creek (outside Elizabethton) or on the Nolichucky River in Embreeville/Unaka Springs area of Erwin.

These are the only places I can think of that can provide "fresh water" plus a good >5 acre tract. We like water and most of the lakes are highly developed. Both are near WM, within 45 min of Sams/Lowes, and reasonable to good health care.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks TNGal78 and rccrain for your repsonses and info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol