Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,140 times

Advertisements

The splash pad is located in the Riverview community. I have heard a lot of bad things about the crime in that area. My daughter keeps asking if we can go ( she saw it when we drove by last year).

Have you been ? Do you know how risky that area is ? Is it safe ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
I was there for a concert last summer and the kids were having a blast in the water. I wouldn't hesitate to take my niece & nephews there. The area is very safe during the day and not nearly as crime-ridden as it used to be at night.

The adjacent public housing complex was demolished in early '08 and a nearby nightclub that brought in some unsavory characters is gone. The splash pad is basically next door to Eastman's corporate headquarters, which is patrolled by private security, and Kingsport police regularly patrol the Riverview community (which is a very small area, FWIW).

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Default Thanks for that info.

I just worry, mom had said a child got shot there a few years ago (not at the Splash Pad but nearby? Mom used to work in the building at Eastman that you are talking about. It's so pretty inside !

Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM

149 posts, read 411,628 times
Riverview is probably one of the worst areas in the Tri-Cities, along with Carver, Tyler, and Keystone, but as I've said before, there's nowhere in the Tri-Cities that I wouldn't walk alone in the middle of the night. We have crime here, don't get me wrong, but 99% of our crime is drug related or domestic, so as long as you don't rip off your drug dealer or tick off your cousin Ted you should be fine.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
! I think the Tri-Cities are very safe but there's no way in hell that I would walk along Keystone alone at night. I could do Carver, probably Tyler, but Keystone gives me that... vibe.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Well....

I'm not worried about my drug dealer or my cousin Ted...

I am worried about someone else's who might just shoot a bullet that would miss their target and hit one of us. It has happened there altho I don't know what time of day it was.

I dunno. I am thinking that I just don't want to go there, thanks for everyone's opinions. I talked to mom about it tonight which swayed me towards not going......

Mom (like I said) worked in that building at Eastman that is basically adjacent to the splash pad. Not the fancy Eastman headquarters (she worked there too), but the other gray building that is behind the fancy one. She went out and sat on a picnic table at lunch (behind the building) one day and 2 women who were at the playground with their kids came over to the fence and were like "what are YOU looking at ? huh ? you gonna give US a cigarette ? ". Mom quickly went inside. That was in broad daylight during lunch.

I had forgoten about that !

Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 PM

They were just giving her a hard time (not in the nice sense). Sometimes people here get spooked easy because a lot of the population has never lived in an urban area before...

Old 06-04-2009, 01:20 AM

128 posts, read 335,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
They were just giving her a hard time (not in the nice sense).
There's a nice sense when it comes to giving people a hard time? LOL...how does that work?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 AM

Well you know, LOL, if you're just kidding with someone, then say "Aw, I'm just givin' ya a hard time."

That would be the nice/jokey sense.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Default I will agree with that.

Not used to it at all because a lot of people from around here haven't been exposed to it. Oh and I understood what you meant about "not in the good way".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol