U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 PM

295 posts, read 668,585 times

Advertisements

Hey Jabog,
My brother, who has more money than sense, just bought himself a 1925 Model T Ford delivery truck. Apparently ol' Henry Ford figured the farmers would want to run the darned things on home grown al-co-hol so they may be the original "flex-fuel" vehicles. I've looked around and found that you can buy Model Ts pretty cheap hereabouts. Don't you know folks who live out in the sticks who might be willing to let us set up a still? I may have heard wrong but don't you own a fancy Mustang? Maybe you and I should sell off our modern cars and get us a pair of T's and cruise around on Rocky-Top corn. 40 mph is more than fast enough for anybody and who needs a/c and air bags?

Last edited by NorthernLights; 08-07-2009 at 10:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
Hey NL, I grew up in the sticks. I know where some stills are myself.

Sounds good to me. I'm due for a change of vehicle. What a pair we'll make!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,888 times
The only stations I know of are ones that specialize in racing fuels, near speedways or tracks. Or ones that sell high performance parts also. A lot of garages that have a racing team will carry it or know where to get it.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 PM

The whole ethanol gas thing may well be a moot point, but still I have heard of mechanics that have seen issues that they relate directly to ethanol damage. I saw on a BMW motorcycle website recently where a failed rubber gasket caused a fuel pump to be sucked into a gas tank by what [that mechanic] claimed to be ethanol fuel mixture damage, and another website noted aluminum fuel line damage, considered to be corrosion from ethanol mixed fuel. Who knows? It may all be crap, but I still have to wonder since ethanol has an affinity to leaching chemicals and a strong affinity to absorbing water that it might cause some forms of damage to an internal combustion engine. Modern vehicles are probably designed to be able to handle any such issues so what the Heck. It's probably no worse than getting a tankful of crap gas from a podunk gas station. I'm sure an engineer whose life's studies have been directly related to such issues can allay my suspicions but even so...it doesn't change the fact that the gas we're all buying...has ethanol in it. So what choice do we have?

Last edited by NorthernLights; 08-07-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 19,216 times
Default Excellent and well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
quoting Jabog;
"Some of us aren't receptive to the idea of opening up ANWAR to oil drilling. We do share this planet with hundreds of thousands of other plants and animals. "
************************************************** *********************************
[Then I say to those folks who feel strongly that way they need to do their bit and sell their cars and walk everywhere so there will be enough gas for the rest of us ]

rccrain;

we don't have to worry about potential damage to the Gulf of Mexico from oil rigs. The fertilizer runoff from the Mississippi from the corn fields has already killed it. Look it up.
I certainly am not the last word on environmental issues and because of my education and work experience I truly know that neither me or anyone else really knows for certain the definitive answers concerning our environmental issues but every a--hole out there has a lot of theories [me included]. I wouldn't want to argue with folks like jabog since I only have a graduate degree in environmental science and have worked as an environmental scientist in hazardous waste consulting whereas other "experts" that want to argue with me probably have watched Al's movie, read National Geographic and get the Wildlife Defense Council newsletter so in comparison I am woefully ignorant and misinformed but my research leads me to the conclusion that any benefits to the planet from burning corn alcohol are pretty much wiped out from growing the corn, and the rest of the conversion and distribution issues, especially when you take into account that you have to burn more of it to drive the same distance and that people need to eat corn but can not eat crude oil.
Split atoms, build windmills, build more high mileage vehicles, super insulate our homes, develop better solar cells and ways to store the electricity and the grid it flows through but just eat the corn...don't convert it into fuel.
Anyone who tries to sell you on easy fixes and alternatives to the way we generate energy in my opinion is over simplifying a very, very complex subject that is very hard to determine if one way of doing things is truly any better for the environment than another is when you fully analyze the whole process from Alpha to Omega/cradle to grave. Sometimes and seemingly contradictory the way we already do many things turns out to be the least damaging way of doing things. I still feel the biggest focus should be on doing everything in every way possible to reduce the energy needed to run things, heat things, power things, etc. But again, I'm just another ( * ) with an opinion.
As to the original post I saw a Val-u-gas or Valu-Save over on the Blountville side of Bristol that had a sign out front advertising 100 % "dino fuel" as we used to say.
Most logical folks have figured out as John Coleman(used to do the weather on Good Morning America--Left that and single handedly started the weather channel) once said and I quote"Man made global warming will go down as the biggest farce in the history of man kind,but it will take 20 years for us to figure out that we have been duped."
We all want a clean everything and that includes energy but it has to be affordable and non- political.
The rest of the world is moving on as we are held hostage by a few that sue everytime we try and build a new refinery or drill in areas where these people don't think we should be drilling.
Meanwhile the Robert Kennedys and Al Gores lecture us on global warming and then get in their private jets and fly home to their mansions and invest heavily in these so called "green"new start up companies.
Americans have paid a heavy price by allowing a few to manipulate and in some cases destroy lives and they are finally reaching a boiling point as is witnessed by these town hall meetings.
Ok I'm done.
Tom

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 PM

I read ol' Albert Gore JR gets 175K per lecture. Does anyone know what he got paid to lecture last year at ETSU?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,681,174 times
To my suprise, the Sunoco on Pennsylvania Avenue in Bristol Tennessee is now selling non-ethanol gas. I used to occasionally get gas there but they didnt have non-ethanol gas. The other day I was low on gas while running my mother on errands and thought I would stop in there and put a little in... it was her that noticed the 100% non-ethanol gas sign on the pumps. I was like, "huh"! Now I know where I will get gas for my cars now. Hope they have it for awhile and dont stop like most other places have.

Also too, they have always had some of the lowest price gas in town and have had for years. This is the store directly across from the end of the fairly new Anderson Street bridge in downtown Bristol.

Go in there and buy gas and praise the non-ethanol fuels. My dad used to complain that they were "unfriendly" and never said thanks (as have several other people I know), but I never had a problem, but maybe he was going in at a certain time of day when a sourpuss was working. Someone said the owners were frenchmen from Canada... maybe they cant speak English? I dont care either way, as long as I get cheap, quality fuel.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM

6,514 posts, read 14,777,173 times
I can't remember if I've posted this or not, and I'm not going to dig in these ethanol monstrosities to find out.

But the old Sunoco (now T's Market or TJ's Market or something) a block north of the library in JC is now open again and selling non-ethanols. (On Roan St, just past the Watauga/Unaka intersections.)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM

I think the apple shed on 36/Roan ave. north of Gray is also advertising no ethanol gas.
Sorry if my opinions have offended anyone. This just strikes a particular chord with me. The more I research it and the more I compare acquaintance's personal gas mileage I think others will begin to ask WTF--k?
If it were truly keeping us from buying foreign petroleum [it's not] or making the air cleaner [it's not], I would be for it but it doesn't seem to be doing that and it just seems to amount to a sneaky little way to skim a few cents of our automobile fuel dollars each fill up and put it into US agribusiness. I might almost be for that if the government was straight up about it but it just amounts to a silent subsidy paid by every American with an automobile to corporations like ADM and Monsanto. It used to be that we just got hosed by OPEC, the petroleum corporations and the local government's tax rates, as to how much a gallon of fuel cost but now we also have to pay the US Ag business a stipend to travel in motor vehicles? Who next will get a slice?
If we were truly to the point of not being able to still economically and environmentally soundly get crude oil from the earth I would think cellulosic ethanol would be the smart way to run internal combustion vehicles but I think we are still decades away from that reality.
When the government creates a new tax that goes into the public coffers to pay for things we all use [schools, jails, roads, water treatment, common defense], it's something we have to 'suck up' and deal with, but when the government creates a new 'silent' tax that goes directly to a particular industry it really irks me.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 09-02-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,448 times
Default Gas stations without ethanol.

"UPDATE".......The Marathon in Ridgefields must have done something deemed unacceptable by Marathon. There have been chains and padlocks around the pumps for over a month. I was told by someone else that there has to be a price gouging or the pumps don't register the correct amount of gas problem for the gas company to chain and lock your pumps...GOOD NEWS !!! The Citgo on West Center St. between Lynn Garden Dr. and Fairview is "ETHANOL FREE' and is easily accessible. Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol