Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 PM

295 posts, read 750,156 times

Advertisements

SarahSal,
I stopped into Kingsport Grocery Company last week and it was really a cool place. Has anyone in JC spoken with the AdaptCore folks who are running that and other Kingsport downtown development programs? They seem to be making it happen in K-port. It looks like they have managed to get the K-port gov't behind them. Maybe they could offer some advice on how to shake things loose in old town JC [?]

Adapt Core, Inc was founded Doug Beatty, Jeff Lane and Kanishka Biddanda to serve as an umbrella organization to oversee the various projects the three partners plan to tackle.Adapt Core, Inc. offer professional services that include Restaurant Consulting, Commerical and Residential General Contracting, Event Promotions and Business Development. Currently, Adapt Core Inc.'s projects is include: 2 restaurants, Kingsport Grocery Company and BONE FIRE Smokehouse; 2 entertainment venues, BONEFIRE Smokehouse's Bus Pit and Kingsport State Theater--both slated to open this Spring; and special events that include Twilight Alive Downtown Concert Series and Racks by the Tracks-Ribs & Blues Festival.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 06-07-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I know these guys, great guys. However they are very Kingsport. At this point I believe they are and will only focus on Kingsport.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
This group has clearly helped make major in-roads in Kingsport, apparently along with responsive and enlightened downtown groups working cooperatively together. Yes, it sure would be great to have their presence in downtown JC, which mainly has had the JCDA (Johnson City Development Authority) running things for as long as we've been there. There have been grassroots groups working, too but it's primarily the JCDA and their board that has dictated what happens in downtown JC.

Wondering what (if any) incentives have been offered by the City of Kingsport to get commercial purchasers and tenants into downtown spaces? That was always something downtown folks recommended to get empty offices and shops filled - that and taking action on the flooding issue on the west side of downtown.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM

295 posts, read 750,156 times
I read an article that discussed Kingsport threatening an owner of a property down in that area with eminent domain so it sounds like the city is throwing their muscle behind these guys to help them make that area nicer. It seems in some ways like that area may be better suited for that type of improvement There was nothing much left in that area. Kind of a total collapse. Nobody to relocate like possibly the folks in the John Sevier or other industries to consider much as the area was fallow almost.
I was wondering if anyone in your downtown group had spoken with any of them to find out what K-port was doing to help them that you might be able to show to City of JC or other possible plans of attack they may be using. The one guy developed the Barley's chain and sold it off I was told so he had experience getting businesses like that up and flying. They have apparently bought the big brick Slip Knot Belt and Pulley building across the street from the Kingsport Grocery Co. and plans are to put in a microbrewery there. If nothing else you could sell out of JC and go up there and try to hop on their bandwagon since they seem to have it going on [chuckle].

Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
I'm all for jump starting core revitalization, but that would be a terrible misuse of eminent domain. I mean if a property needs to be condemned, then so be it, but the government should not be stealing property from rightful owners.

For JC's downtown, I would recommend a property tax credit for investment in downtown revitalization. Hopefully, the flooding issue will be resolved with stimulus dollars and JC's downtown will become all it can be.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
I read an article that discussed Kingsport threatening an owner of a property down in that area with eminent domain so it sounds like the city is throwing their muscle behind these guys to help them make that area nicer. It seems in some ways like that area may be better suited for that type of improvement There was nothing much left in that area. Kind of a total collapse. Nobody to relocate like possibly the folks in the John Sevier or other industries to consider much as the area was fallow almost.
I was wondering if anyone in your downtown group had spoken with any of them to find out what K-port was doing to help them that you might be able to show to City of JC or other possible plans of attack they may be using. The one guy developed the Barley's chain and sold it off I was told so he had experience getting businesses like that up and flying. They have apparently bought the big brick Slip Knot Belt and Pulley building across the street from the Kingsport Grocery Co. and plans are to put in a microbrewery there. If nothing else you could sell out of JC and go up there and try to hop on their bandwagon since they seem to have it going on [chuckle].

I am not sure which article you are referring to but I do know how Kingsport utilizes eminent domain and it is not the typical by any means. This is how they did it for the new education center in downtown. They told the owners of those buildings that were needed a year or more in advance that they would buy the buildings for their current resale value PLUS moving costs. They also did everything they could to help those business find a new location that met their needs. And the spaces the city used eminent domain for has nothing to do with what Adapt core is doing. They buy their own property.
The big difference between Kingsport and J.C. as far as downtown development goes (and yes, I have a downtown Kingsport office and I deal with investors who buy these buildings and refurbish them as a property manager and as a mortgage broker I also mortgage some of these buildings.) Kingsport is light years a head of JC because of it's people. By people I mean those who invest in these buildings and refurbish them. The big difference why they choose Kingsport over JC, it is because of the people in the city and the organizations there. The city gets behind these people who are putting their money into the city and help them, in many ways. They make themselves available to them and sit down with these investors and assist them. For example, the city inspectors, Mike Freeman and Dee Morgan will go over plans and ideas and tell the investor up front what is needed for code requirements in a realistic way. Try to get JC's inspectors to do that and then stick to their word...won't happen. I know for a fact they (JC) have approved plans, the building owner has done everything to the letter of those plans then the inspectors made them tear out some new components and replace them with a different material after they priorly approved the first material. Things like that can cause an investor to go bankrupt on a project.
The city of Kingsport has also offered many incentives, such as facade grants, up to 10k matching to update the front of your building. A 20% refund grant on dumpster fees and more. They work on parking issues, made sidewalks wider, added traffic circles to move traffic easier and safer etc. all to make the city more enticing to potential business owners and it has worked. They put the infrastructure in place and then support the business people in any way they can. For example, I needed a map of the city that showed all the tax assessed values of each building, I called the assistant city manager and within a week I had a call from the GSI dept to come pick up my huge map that I now have hanging on my office wall so my clients can see what info they need all at once. That saved me months of research and money that the city had already done. They didn't charge me a thing, they know by giving me that map that potential investors will have a piece of information they need to make decisions.
There are several large independent investors in Kingsport, such as Adapt Core, the Vashons, Sam Anderson and more that choose to invest in Kingsport because the city works WITH them to build business there, not against them. I see some signs of this partnering of city and investors/business owners with Bristol as well, not with JC.
Trust me, it is not one group, individual or organization that is making Kingsport and Bristol revitalize and be successful so fast here in the past 3 years, it is it's people working together with the city government to make it all come together in a realistic way.
Another big component to Kingsport getting things done is the mayors office. Mayor Dennis Phillips actually cares about the downtown businesses success. He works with the alderman to allocate what needs to be to help these businesses, not forget them once they are there like JC seems to do. And not just downtown, out on Eastman Rd and Stone Dr. too. The city manager, John Camble (who used to be JC's manger btw) has his office right next to Dennis Phillips office, they get things accomplished. They discuss what needs to be discussed, come up with a plan, bring it to the alderman and some times get most of what they need to get a project done, on time and within budget. There is not a whole lot of bickering amongest each other like in JC's inner workings.
The Kingsport and Bristol chambers of commerce actually get involved and help business, not just give out info and very little at that which seems to be what JC does. Kingsport has KOSBE, an organization that helps potential business owners with their business plans, connects them with others that can help and offers any resources they can. Yes, JC has the bussiness incubator and it does help, but Kingsport has one of those too out in the Kingsport Development Center next to B.A.E. but it works with KOSBE to fill in the gaps.
Kingsport has D.K.A (downtown Kingsport association) that also helps business owners because it is made up of business owners, sure it has it's internal issues like any organization does but it sure isn't like the URA in JC who is know widely for not working with the business owners but strong arms them and makes things harder for the business owners.
The other and very important aspect of Kingsport that is probably one of the strong root causes as to why the city is becoming so successful are it's business owners themselves. They WORK TOGETHER to help each other succeed. For example, one downtown business, The Creative Trust, set up a web site Official Site for the fast-growing and historic Downtown Kingsport, TN | Explore Downtown Kingsport for FREE and hosts it FOR FREE for all downtown Kingsport business. Any business can advertise, link their website, offer coupons and so forth on this site to help their business grow.
If one of my investors needs first hand information that I don't have available, I know I can call Doug Beaty or Angela Vashon and ask for a meeting with my investors, they will make the time to sit and talk with them, walk around the city, help in any way they can to help me help my client. I will do the same for them. No charge, no moneys change hands between us, it is just something they know is an investment into their own businesses as well because the more businesses, the more people will come to down town, the more business they will have as well. The people of Kingsport work together, that is why it is leaps and bounds a head of JC and from what I hear, Bristol is not that far behind Kingsport.
Now I am not saying I don't like JC, I live in Washington County and I do a lot of shopping in JC and spend time there, but because of the way they operate, I don't see them advancing very fast.
I honestly believe if JC does more to support, honestly support, the businesses owners of the downtown core, by either fostering businesses to work together or offering some financial incentives that are a true benefit to a business owner then maybe things will start moving in downtown JC.
Just my take on things as I see it.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 PM

149 posts, read 411,628 times
Brilliant Mouse

Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
Brilliant Mouse
I second that... 'BRILLIANT, Mouse! Your take is absolutely 'on the money' -- only wish your statements could be broadcast throughout downtown JC.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 AM

189 posts, read 566,477 times
Mouse's post should be referred to anytime a question comes up about JC/Kingsport downtown projects as well as anytime someone wonders why JC can't grow their downtown while Kingsport and Bristol are both doing so and very well.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 AM

Thanks all, I just tell it like I see and know it....although I have to add a mistake to my post. I was talking to Kanishka yesterday and asked him if they take on any business out side of Kingsport and they do! Good news for business in JC that are looking for that kind of help.
However, I still believe that in the situation like JC (a downtown core area that needs more life) it is really up to the city entities/offices are the key to making it work.
Look at the train station, according to that article, that investor bought the building, got the money, plans etc and then the city wouldn't approve the permits.
I hear that a lot, the hold up on investors getting the needed work done seems to be at the city level. Whether it be at the permits, inspections, fire marshal, C.O's and other steps that are necessary for a project gets held up in the city offices. This is a HUGE issue in JC and until these get resolved I don't think there can even be a start to JC catching up with Kingsport or Bristol.
I personally had an issue that I needed a resolve from the city building inspector in Kingsport. I call over to that office, asked, he said he would have to see it to know for sure, was at the building within THE HOUR, looked (by climbing on the roof) and gave me my answer. That would have taken months in JC if at all, because in this situation I could have hired a firm to get my answer.
This kind of hustle that Kingsport has to help those revitalizing the downtown is really what JC needs as a starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol