Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,842 times

Advertisements

I have 2 kids under the age of 10 and some ads shock me. Hardees has some pretty bad ones (or did have at one time) on the radio/tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
I would be against the KC ads because kids shouldn't be smacked in the face with that kind of garbage, but this sign is just going to go over kids heads. They'll just see a big pizza - innuendo or not.

This proves my observation skill. I must have passed that billboard 5 times in the past week ... never noticed it. If your getting mugged in a parking lot, don't count on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
Hardees and Burger King have some really poor ads. Burger King is even directly targeting kids with theirs.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM

166 posts, read 511,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Hardees and Burger King have some really poor ads. Burger King is even directly targeting kids with theirs.
Yeah, the Spongebob butts one even surprised me.... and I primarily dislike kids and like occasional crude humor.

I leave the muted TV on for my chinchillas (they watch TV - really) when I work sometimes, and cartoons are a favorite because of the color and movement. But the ads.. wow. No wonder kids can't live without a million toys.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Hardees has some pretty bad ones (or did have at one time) on the radio/tv.
I hate the Hardees TVs commercials! That mans voice goes right through me. Stupid!

As far as the Pizza sign in JC, I have not seen it.... I am assuming its vulgar.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,381 times
I didn't see the ad last time I was in town (not sure it was there yet), but I'm surprised anyone could take offense from the description.

Speaking of billboards in Johnson City, I'm starting to wonder if that old Pepsi bottle cap on I-26 (right past N. Roan Street if you're headed "Eastbound"/Southbound) has become a historical landmark yet. How long has that thing been there? Who owns it and why hasn't it changed since I was a kid?

The text on it is fading and everything. You'd think whoever owned the billboard would sell ad space to someone else or maybe Pepsi would update the ad. Not sure why it's just been neglected for decades, especially when you consider the fact that it's in a prime spot, but in a way, I kinda like that it has basically been abandoned. Gives it character!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I like that old billboard too. There used to be an identical one on Hwy. 107 as it crosses into Washington County from Greene County. Very strange spot for it, but it's gone now.

And good question, as to who owns it...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I hate the Hardees TVs commercials! That mans voice goes right through me. Stupid!

As far as the Pizza sign in JC, I have not seen it.... I am assuming its vulgar.
No, just suggestive. There's a huge difference.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 AM

239 posts, read 699,536 times
Default I didn't even notice it either!

Even more surprising...I can't believe my 7 or 2 year olds did not see the big pizza! ha, ha!!

I doubt it would bother me since it goes over the kids heads. I loved the Calvin Klein ads and that WOULD bother me....the 7 year old doesn't need to see that. Those should only be in magazines aimed at adults IMHO.

I love that big pepsi bottle cap. It is just neat. It was a very good landmark for me when I first moved here too! :-)

Last edited by PacersFan; 06-17-2009 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: (Added a sentence.)

Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlcompanygirl View Post
Am I the only one a bit disgusted by this? It's for a pizza place and you can see it at the light by the VW place/Katie Cash/Rex. I'm not stupid and can see what it insinuates and I just think it's a bit inappropriate. I didn't think it would last long up there and after seeing the Calvin Klein ad, it reminded me of this.
Contrary to what others have said (and not having seen it) sounds like it's in poor taste. *But* we all have our own levels of acceptance and what we each think is funny.
Although little kids might not 'get it', surely impressionable teenagers might so I have to question whether this is the kind of message we want to send them. Has this type of 'humor' generally become acceptable in our society today, especially when displayed so prominently? Guess I'm just old-fashioned...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:06 PM

166 posts, read 511,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Contrary to what others have said (and not having seen it) sounds like it's in poor taste. *But* we all have our own levels of acceptance and what we each think is funny.
Although little kids might not 'get it', surely impressionable teenagers might so I have to question whether this is the kind of message we want to send them. Has this type of 'humor' generally become acceptable in our society today, especially when displayed so prominently? Guess I'm just old-fashioned...
What about this sign is impressionable? There are ads for cigarettes in front of every gas station, but a guy holding a large pizza near his groin is going to cause what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol