Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times

Advertisements

Google Street View is so cool it's addictive. But why the snub of Bristol?

JC, Kpt, Eliz, Bluff City, even Abingdon, Watauga, and Hampton have more coverage than poor Bristol. Does anyone know the deciding factors behind Google Street View coverage policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM

166 posts, read 511,200 times
It is weird. They have main street of Clintwood, VA - but it cuts off about 200 feet before my place in Johnson City.

I'm not sure of their factors on deciding where to do it - but there is an epidemic of pranksters that recognize the vehicles and do some pretty weird stuff. Still ends up online.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 PM

128 posts, read 335,396 times
They're probably told to just go to specific areas and maybe do extra areas if they have extra time to....funny enough i was able to trace from my house to to my job, here in new york, on google street view..... i can't be seen in any shots, though.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,499 times
I'm a Google Street View junkie. I've even used it for some of my investment articles relating to REITs (to show readers some of their properties). That said, coverage of the entire Tri-Cities seems to be rather sporadic. Not sure why Bristol got more of a snub than other areas, but even JC isn't all that covered. If you check some of the larger cities, nearly every single street is covered.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM

34 posts, read 75,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post

JC, Kpt, Eliz, Bluff City, even Abingdon, Watauga, and Hampton have more coverage than poor Bristol. Does anyone know the deciding factors behind Google Street View coverage policy?
now thats sad.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post

I've been curious about this for a while now myself, ever since I noticed that even tiny little Middleton Tn (population 600) has street view. Middleton is in the middle of nowhere, 40 miles from a city of any size!
Maybe the street view camera guy got lost and figured why not?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
It is interesting, but Bristol always seems to be last with everything as far as the metro area is concerned.

I am very happy though to see that they did upgrade/update the satellite google maps, because before, it didnt show downtown Bristol and north Bristol clearly... it was fuzzy - now its clear, even at my house in southeast Bristol. However, all of the leaves were on the trees, we have heavy woods on the east side of our house and the photo was taken in the morning.... barely see our house.

My uncles in Raleigh and Richmond have street views too... it actually shows my uncles house in Richmond (actual photo), but only the road of my other uncle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol