U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 11:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 25,061,745 times

Advertisements

The severe storms were widespread in in the Tri-Cities t his evening... is everyone OK? Anyone sustain major damage?

We had some branches down... the skies were almost black and the lightning was terrible. I estimate winds gusting to 60-65 here when the storms first approached.

We were in the "bow echo" part of the storm!

Photos of the approaching storm...

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 16,418,089 times
That storm came on fast didn't it? I had just stepped outside to enjoy some fresh air "before it starts raining" when all of a sudden huge a gust of wind came through in one direction, then in the opposite direction, and back again. Pretty awesome to watch the big old trees in the park bending over in the storm. It knocked our power for an hour or so, lost a few roof shingles, and I heard a bunch of sirens in the near distance, sounded like fire trucks.
Might pick up a paper today and see if it mentions any fires caused by the lightning.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM

166 posts, read 471,240 times
We lost our power, same transformer as the storm a few days ago. The power board got it back on in a few hours, but last time it was about 12 before we got anything back.

Overall I heard a lot about issues with stuff in the roadways - a few small billboards got knocked down on N State of Franklin, but apparently some trees were knocked down on the interstate?

Thundering this morning again...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,699,243 times
We had a neighbor loose half of a tree, no damage to anything else and a transformer blew in our neighborhood this morning so there is no power now.....glad I came to the office today.
Still yucky rainy out there! My plants are loving it though

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,890,619 times
Very little damage here in South Johnson City. We had more damage from the storms last week. We didn't lose any power at all.

I was driving in N JC at the storm time though. Very fierce up there.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM

431 posts, read 1,086,625 times
Default A few tree limbs down where I live.

We had some tree limbs down in the roads and lots of little branches and leaves everywhere. (Colonial Heights)

I am teaching VBS every night this week and the church is WAYYY out in the boonies down a 2 lane winding (hair pin turns) road. I mean out in the middle of nowhere towards Greene Co. It's a 35 minute drive for me, mainly because of the roads you have to kinda slow down.

So Monday night I was on my way and hit so many puddles that I lost power steering all the sudden ! Then the van flashes "power system failure" on the display. Called hubby and he said it was because the belt had gotten wet. I was creeeping along doing 20 and finally made it to church. It rained really hard and the roads were flooding. Phew. My steering was ok once everything dried out on the belt.

Tuesday night I made it to church just in time for the storm to hit HARD. It blew folding chairs over everywhere under our picnic shelter and we had to get the kids in the church really fast. We almost lost power (it flashed a few times) and the 3 year olds I teach were scared.

Thank goodness we didn't sustain major damage. The power was off at my home in Colonial Heights while I was gone. This morning my mom and dad have no phone service. They live in the Rock Springs area. Embarq said they are working to correct the problem and that many are out of phone service right now in that area.

Last edited by TNGal78; 06-17-2009 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: info

Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 AM

WOW, well today seemed even worse... at least when I was in Kingsport when the storms hit!

I was in Kingsport on Ft. Henry in a meeting and around 2:40, I started hearing thunder. I got up for a refreshment and looked out and the northwestern sky was BLACK! I have never seen the sky so black before I dont believe. Its been awhile.

On the drive home, we (carpooled) encountered numerous trees down on the roads (Colonial Heights), (police had some lanes closed), signs blown over, garbage cans in the road, power outages (traffic lights out) almost non-stop cloud to ground lightning and once on I-81 north back to Bristol and due to all of the rain on the road, it was 35-40 mph speeds at times and we could still see lightning streaking through the air.

Even here in Bristol there were trees down and officially at the airport, winds reported at 56 mph, but reports of 70 mph in some areas in the area! TWC scrolled that Bristol had reported 60 mph winds.

Everyone there at the meeting was within a 250 mile radius of the Tri-Cities... many had to drive home in it... some of those people nerves are probably still jumping from all of that thunder.... some of them acted like they have never saw such a storm... one woman commented that it looked evil!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:35 AM

6,514 posts, read 14,890,619 times
I missed all the fun in the TRI, I was in Knoxville all day! I did have to call Comcast and get them to reset our modem - AGAIN. :rollseyes:

Still, I didn't see any damage on the way home tonight. Johnson City must've been below the stormline.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I missed all the fun in the TRI, I was in Knoxville all day! I did have to call Comcast and get them to reset our modem - AGAIN. :rollseyes:

Still, I didn't see any damage on the way home tonight. Johnson City must've been below the stormline.
I think the storms also went through Johnson City... it was a long squall line, but it seems like Kingsport and Rogersville were hit the hardest.... damage was hit and miss though.. a friend of mine in Church Hill (between Kpt/Rgsvl) said only some twigs were down.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Not sure about Kpt or JC, but Bristol was hammered with more severe storms today... so far, we have had two severe storms in Bristol at my house, with .82 of rain. We had torrential rains, strong winds, frequent lightning, etc. A warning was also issued earlier.

Sun is beaming out again and its so MUGGY! Its back up to 85° at my house, with 85% humidity, which = a dewpoint of 80° and a heat index of 99°!

Abingdon Virginia is reporting a dewpoint of 77°, with a HI of 94°. Any dewpoint over 70° feels tropical IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol