Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 57,177 times

Advertisements

My family, and I recently moved to Jonesborough, TN. I would love to see her get involved in something, sports, art, etc. Something that wont cost too much. She needs to meet local kids and make some friends. I appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,215,652 times
Default My daughter (9yo) was taking horse riding lessons.

However, it was too expensive for us and also she has some gross motor skill issues and wasn't grasping "english style" riding too well because of those issues.

It was 35.00 per 1 hour lesson 4x per month. DM me if you need more info.

I,too would like to find something !

Anybody ??

My dd did dance for 3 years and also did after school clubs.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,276,227 times
Default Mine are a bit older and boys, but...

Here are some ideas off the top of my head.
There are many parks around and it being summer, just go to one or two or three of them during the days, she may meet her new best friend.

There is several karate (sp?) places around.

There is the boys and girls club that have different day activities and classes I believe.

There is the Y in Kingsport (Is there one in JC? off the top of my head, can't place it if there is, sorry, it's late hahahhaa) They have lots of summer programs for the kids of all age groups.

Just about every church has youth programs and most of them are open to any youth whether you are a member or not. They are all starting up with their vacation bible schools, my boys loved going to all the different churches vacation bible schools, they are more fun than religious for the kids, just have a religious theme.

Bay's mountain has several kids activities planed for the summer day camp kind of things, check out their web site.

Sorry, can't think of other right now, like I said, a bit late, but check out the different cities web sites, parks and rec departments, I bet there are a bunch of things listed.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 PM

7,527 posts, read 17,166,459 times
No, strangely no YMCA in Johnson City.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM

431 posts, read 1,215,652 times
Default Ooo yeah VBS.

Ours just ended but you will find that many of the bigger churches in the area have a lot of fun stuff like jump houses, horseback rides, etc.

My dd went to one at Kingsport First Church of the Nazarene one year and had a great time.

We are a very tiny church out in the country and I taught 3 year olds.

Ok...taught.....more like kept them from killing one another.

I *think* they may have learned the words Peter and Jesus. That's about all they got out of it. LOL !!!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,790,524 times
A season pass to Wetlands Water Park is $55.

Johnson City Parks & Recreation - 2009 Spring & Summer Fun Guide (http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/uploads/Documents/Parks%20and%20Recreation/2009%20Spring%20Summer%20Fun%20Guide.pdf - broken link)

Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Thank you all for replying so quickly, I definately have alot more to work with than I did.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM

239 posts, read 697,393 times
Default Girl Scouts?

How about Girl Scouts for the fall? I have boys, so I don't know much about girl scouts, but cub scouts is inexpensive compared to many sports.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM

189 posts, read 565,435 times
I would contact the Johnson City Parks and Recreation Department for summer activity programs for children her age.

I know they offer day clinics for Tennis, Soccer, Swimming, ECT. They have a late summer program called "fit kids" that do a variety of sports rather than just focus on one or the other.

If your daughter is interested in learning to play tennis, you can private message me for a list of private lesson instructors who are not country club $$. You should be able to get lessons for around $15.00 - 25.00 an hour depending on the number of lessons you allow her to take each week.

Other suggestions:

Wetlands
Davey Crockett Park
Legion Street Pool
Vacation Bible Schools
College Sports Camps

Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 AM

My daughter would love riding lessons, but unfortunately, we can't afford that at this time. I am still looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol