Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 13,570 times

Advertisements

Hey Y'all!!

We'll be coming to Johnson City next week to attend the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America National Rally.

I'm hoping you can feed me some information on what to check out while in town, some really good local mom & pop places to eat and interesting sites to see. Really, I'm looking for the "off the beaten path" stuff.

Looking forward to the ride and visiting your area.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 PM

295 posts, read 750,550 times
Eat one night at Cootie Brown's on rte. 36/ Roan Ave, good food, good beer selection, eclectic place. Dixie Barbeque on Roan is also good eats as well as Ridgewood over near old Elizabethton Rd. if good N/E TN red B-B-Q sauce is what you're craving. In the evenings ask somebody for directions and ride out to Sonny's Marina or Lakeview Marina and drink some brews on a deck looking out over Boone Lake. Stop in at Kemosabe's biker bar on Boone's Creek Rd. Mostly RUB type bikes parked out front but Japanese bikes also and they serve Beemer riders too. [smile] They'll tell you good places to ride in the area.
Buy a local map and point your motorcycle any direction that you see mountains...you will not be disappointed. I assume some of your bunch plan on riding "the Snake", rte. 421 out of Shady Valley [Google; "The Snake rte 421"]. It's this area's "Deal's Gap" and a blast on a bike. Visit Historic Jonesborough. Ride up to Roan Mountain or Lake Watauga or...... There are so many great rides that I go out in all directions on my bike that I can't list them all here, but you can't go wrong.
Welcome! Weather looks great! Enjoy! Safe Riding to you!

Last edited by NorthernLights; 07-06-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
A quick trip to the flea market on Bristol Hwy is always a good Mom and Pop place and a great place to spend some time. I agree about the trip up to Roan mountain on the bike would be great! Jonesborough is full of really neat Mom and Pop places with great stuff.
If you are into the antiques thing too (Very mom and popish!) check out just about any street in the very downtown of Kingsport you can do that on Thursday or Friday evening and catch the free concert in the streets....oh wait, you said next week? Never mind Kingsport will be crazy next week as Fun Fest is the 10th through the 16th.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Outstanding!! Thank you both so much! I'll do my homework from here and look up and print the info on these spots.

I'm sure Fun Fest won't be so bad. I just hope the surrounding area is really ready for this. We're expecting 10,000 motorcycle enthusiasts for this event. Downtown Kingsport sounds interesting. I love the antique and eclectic type shops. I'll send my other half and his brother off for barbecue. That is what they do when we're in the south... breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can only take so much =D

NorthernLights, I have a ride for you... if you haven't been already. State Route 85 near Allred, Tennessee through Fentriss County is unbelievable. There is a set of hairpins like none I've ever seen. It's like riding a series of "Z's" with each turn being an incline between 40 and 80 feet. They actually have the huge convex mirrors hanging from trees so you can see what is coming at you. We rode this in May.

Check it out...

allred tennessee - Google Maps

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 PM

10,000....and this is going to be at the Appalachian fair grounds right?....glub!
I live close by there, close enough that I can hear the concerts at night when they have them there. 10,000 motorcycles.....I will pick up some ear plugs and please be nice to the plum PT cruiser when you see it on the road, I give bikes a lot of room, just not sure how to share the road with THAT many bikes LOL!
Oh, and if your family likes BBQ, they have GOT to go to Fire Bone in Kingsport, seeing as they won the Regis and Kelly best rib sauce in the nation contest this morning!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Ten thousand!? I had no idea it was so huge... any idea why it's being held here? Is it rotational, I guess?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Yep, 10,000 people at the fairgrounds... on your streets, in your stores and restaurants and hotels....
That is what has always interested me more than anything... exactly how much is being spent in the surrounding communities during these events. But no worries, we're not a rowdy obnoxious bunch. Very down to earth and friendly in fact. I'll be sure to wave at every plum PT I see... getting back a lot of cocked eyebrows I'm sure, LOL
Yes, it does move every year. Last year the rally was in Gilette, Wy. JC was picked this year for the beauty of the area and the superb riding.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 AM

Oh please don't get me wrong, I am glad you all are coming to our area. We love it here and are ok with sharing the beauty of it all. I am just one of those few drivers that always give a lot of room to 3 vehicles specifically: motorcycles, 18 wheelers and old Volkswagens (notorious for not good breaks and iffy steering hahahaha). So to have a bunch of motorcycles around me on the road I am not sure where/how I will give them room hhahahahah.
I'll be the one in the cruiser enthusiastically waving back at ya LOL!!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Well there's Cappy's Apex on West Market. It might be a Harley crowd, though. not sure!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Oh, I didn't take anything wrong. I'm just sayin... it has always interested in how much local businesses and the city takes in. My hometown in Southern Ohio hosts the "Harley Easy Rider Rodeo" every Labor Day. (The stuff that goes on there... Well, it's nothing short of disgusting and xxx-rated.) I've been away for 20 years but I remember once hearing the city of 20,000 takes in about $2 million just that weekend. I find that incredible.

ROFL @ the Volkswagon. I'm sure you'll do fine... it's just a "few" more bikes than normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol