Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,234 times

Advertisements

[quote=TN.RidgerunninGal;35768801]Dear 370z:
My daughter told me that the house they are working on is on a slab, the septic system, electric etc. has been done by a local contractor. The house they have is a kit - they are doing most of the interior themselves. It is a very simple design. She told me there are several web sites;[url="www.budgethomekits.com"]and [url="http://kodiaksteelhomes.com" have pricing of their homes. I believe it is possible to build a home for about $80K, if you are willing to DIY. If you have to pay a contractor, then it will cost more. I have a friend in Jonesborough which lives in a metal home. and they love it. Google metal home plans and see what you come up with. There are some real gems out there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've looked at some websites and there are some really nice ones. I'll check out the ones you told me about. I contacted a builder out there and an apprx. 1100 sq. ft. home with 2 car garage is $117,000, of course that's just the house.
I've looked in to manufactured, modular, etc. I would still need to find land.
May end up buying a previously owned home. Not sure yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,344 times
I had a 1500sqft house built with 2 car garage and covered back deck for $121,000 in Jonesborough, I bought the lot for $4800, all together $126,000 for a new stick built home, turn key, nothing too special, but a nicely built home none the less.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 AM

141 posts, read 297,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
I had a 1500sqft house built with 2 car garage and covered back deck for $121,000 in Jonesborough, I bought the lot for $4800, all together $126,000 for a new stick built home, turn key, nothing too special, but a nicely built home none the less.
Tony, who was your builder? Shoot me a PM with his name and /or company name please. That's a nice price, I too will be building soon in Jonesborough, purchased an acre about a month and a half ago just off hwy 107. I want to build like 1150 ft2 2BR with an attached 2 car garage. Thx.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Tony, who was your builder? Shoot me a PM with his name and /or company name please. That's a nice price, I too will be building soon in Jonesborough, purchased an acre about a month and a half ago just off hwy 107. I want to build like 1150 ft2 2BR with an attached 2 car garage. Thx.
We are planning on purchasing property in Jonesborough also in a few months. That's exactly the kind of home we want to build!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
We are planning on purchasing property in Jonesborough also in a few months. That's exactly the kind of home we want to build!
I just found out from Tony I have been consulting with the same builder Tony used. He has an impeccable reputation in the JC community and beyond. I also have some simple plans and floor plans for the style I am looking to build. If your interested in any info or the plans 370z, PM me your email and I will email the info I have to you. Its 2 BR 2 baths, nice open floorplan, not a single hallway in the house, space is utilized well, with either an attached 2 car garage or no garage attached. The Jonesborough/Erwin/Unicoi areas are really nice and low crime. One thing I can definitely tell you when looking for a lot or land is stay away from the Telford area. They seem to a bit of a crime problem (B&E, thefts, and vehicle thefts). I have been researching this region for 3 years plus. have plenty resources and references. probably too much.....LOL.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:21 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,344 times
I've owned several pieces of land during my time in TN and I've spoken with 3 builders locally about building, one built me a home, one put a roof my old home and the other builds very nice spec homes in the area and will build the same house on your land for what his sell for, minus the cost of the land itself.

First - Ferrel Gosnell built my house and has been designing and building homes here since 1979 Custom Home Builder Johnson City, TN

Second - Randy Rice with Rice Construction (423) 257-4113, gave me very good quotes on building in the past and put a metal roof on one of my old houses at a very reasonable rate, he seems like a good man.

Third - is a local mostly spec home builder, who sells a lot of homes due to the many upgrades and solid construction of his homes, his homes sell quickly due to thinks like concrete covered porches front and rear versus uncovered wooden decks, lots of hard wood flooring, standard built in safes in the master closet, little things that add up. In addition, he builds homes with views, I guess one of the reasons his homes sell fast. He says that he'll build his home on your lot, for what his sell for, minus the cost that he pays for his lots. You can check his company out at Tucker Home Builders, LLC

These are the builders I'm familiar with locally, good luck with the home building process.

Tony

Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Really useful info, Tony, TY.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
Default Your builder recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Woods View Post
I have built several homes in the area. I have worked for several contractors in the area selling their homes and I just can't realistically tell you that a home for under $65.00 is even a possibility. Most of your "cheap" builders are now out of business due to slow demand.

The homes I have built have always cost me with lot around $80.00 per sq.ft. Unless you are willing to do almost EVERY bit of the labor yourself, then I don't see you even coming close.

I know one home builder in Bluff City who does all his work that he possibly can and he's building around $69.00 per sq.ft.

Josh, I am interested in an update on your comments. We are moving to the area, and I am trying to find a builder to add onto my parent's home - but it will be a separate house. They live in Bowmantown - I don't need high end anything...just a quality to match their home which is not luxurious at all. I would love to find someone that can build for $100 a sq ft in today's prices. Can you update me on what you know and recommend?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol