Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 26,106 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be traveling to the Tri-City area the end of October this year to look at properties. We have a motorhome and love rustic campgrounds. I can't find any reviews of this campground and wonder if anyone can give me information on it...or pictures of the campground.
Rock Creek Campground and Recreation area off TN 395- Cherokee National Forest

Also any other suggestions of campgrounds in the Tri-City area would be appreciated. All we care about is electric hook-up and bath houses & dump station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM

61 posts, read 170,033 times
someone over on http://www.rv.net/forum had posted a review of the campground before. You could ask over there and/or do a thread search. I do know that they do not take reservations. I am not sure when they close. I didnt find anything on it for you over at RV Park Reviews :: Home
What areas are you going to be visiting? We really like Grindstone. However, it is 35 miles or so from Bristol to Grindstone. Lakeview is in Bluff City and is 8 miles for I-81. It gets good reviews. There is a KOA in Kingsport as well. Then there is also Roan Mountain State Park. We love it there. Downside is they do not take reservations. And there is Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport as well. The two links I posted above are great places to get campground information from. PM me if you have any more questions. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Though I've never camped at Rock Creek, I've walked through the campground several times on the way to the waterfalls and I love the setting. It feels like you're in a remote wilderness area even though you're just a few minutes from Erwin. Amenities include electric hook-up, three bathhouses and a dump station.

More info:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/rec...und%20Text.pdf
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/rec...reek%20Map.pdf
The Best in Tent Camping: Southern ... - Google Books

Last edited by kamoshika; 08-02-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 AM

507 posts, read 2,295,989 times
We just got back from camping there this weekend. Its so nice and cozy without campers being so close to you, that you have privacy. I know that they usually close after the Apple Festival, which is the first weekend of October. They did last year, but could change this year. Its a federal campground and all the money that they receive goes back into the park. Single spaces are $15 and doubles are $30. There are electric hook-ups only, no water hookups. There is a dumping station too, and a nice fire pit with heavy-made picnic tables
There is a couple that are the camp hosts in loop A, that takes care of the park. The campground is also locked with a gate to the entrance at 10, so no one that isn't camping can ride through disturbing the campers. Even though we live in Erwin, we camp there all the time. Its the nicest one in the whole area.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Thank you for the info. I'll have to check on it closing in early October...we were planning on the last two weeks of October....guess I'm used to FL Campgrounds...open all year long.... Sounds like our kind of campground.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM

507 posts, read 2,295,989 times
edited to add...it says on this site...http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/rec...und%20Text.pdf that they stay open until early November, but maybe call the Forestry service to make sure. If it does close before you get here, you can check out this campground.

This is about a 45 minute drive from Erwin, but the campground is open year round. It is nice with electric hook-ups and water. It is Roan Mountain State Park, check it out here. They also rent cabins TN State Parks: Roan Mountain State Park

Last edited by Tnhoneypot; 08-03-2009 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the Roan park info. I did call and they said they're open till Nov. 1, unless weather makes them close down early. Nice to know we'll have a back up plan.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 AM

5 posts, read 20,538 times
Roan Mountain is BEAUTIFUL...drove through the park several times while
looking at homes in the area. Observed numerous deer each time
through. The park is spotless and a great photo opp.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,721 times
Lakeview RV Park between Bristol and Johnson City is a great place to say. We camp there at least two weeks a year. Some folks camp there on a monthly basis. Lakeview has private bathrooms and full hookup at all the sites. We like the free WiFi that has a good signal. In the summer, the kids love the salt water pool, and fishing on Boone Lake. Lakeview is our favorite campground in the Tri-Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol