Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
I have been through a lot of the threads and cannot seem to find anything regarding hiking opportunities in the Jonesborough area.

I am seriously considering moving there and, from everything I have read on the forums, Jonesborough sounds like a wonderful place. I am moving from Issaquah, WA where there are a large number of state forest areas that have numerous hiking and horse trails. One reason for picking NE TN is the proximity to the national forest.

But I am having difficulty finding information about where the trailheads are in the national forest and how far away they might be from Jonesborough. Some posts also mention local state parks but looking at web sites for these I have a major problem with them ...

When I hike I hike with my dogs.

Any info on local hiking spots when one simply wants to have a nice quiet outdoor hiking experience with one's "children" (dogs)?
The area around Jonesborough is lightly forested and relatively flat compared to much of NE Tennessee. The closest forest/mountain hiking you'll find is at Buffalo Mountain Park, which overlooks Johnson City...several miles of trails there, some quite steep:
Buffalo Mountain Park Trail Map (http://www.etsu.edu/biology/friendsofnature/BMP/trail_map.htm - broken link)

There's a Methodist church camp off Dry Creek Road w/ some good trails and a very nice waterfall that freezes almost solid in mid-winter. Stop by the office if someone's there and ask permission to walk w/ your dogs, and you'll almost certainly be allowed to. Here's the location on an aerial map:
Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Warriors Path State Park & Bays Mountain Park, both in Kingsport, offer excellent hiking in the woods but Bays Mtn. doesn't allow pets of any kind. Warriors Path allows leashed pets though in the more remote sections, most dogs I've met have been off-leash.

For mile-high hikes not too far from Jonesborough, you can head over to the Unicoi/Erwin area or to the mountains a few miles south of Greeneville (Camp Creek/Horse Creek/Upper Paint Creek areas).

There are active hiking clubs in Johnson City (), Kingsport (Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club - Appalachian Trail), and Greeneville (GREENEVILLE HIKING CLUB - Main Menu) that would probably be happy to provide you w/ more information on local trails.

Last edited by kamoshika; 12-04-2007 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM

57 posts, read 153,495 times
They are building a new school in Jonesborough too. I'm not sure what the completion date is on that yet.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,434 times
Thanks all for the hiking links. I am headed out to visit on Monday and can now check out the hiking as well as the area in general.

To watotn ... hope you survived the flooding in WA ... one of the reasons I am leaving ... way too too much rain!! Maybe I will see you there some day ...

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM

43 posts, read 122,513 times
Default Flooding

Yes I did and I feel very fortunate. How about you? Last year the two streets behind me were evacuated...It seems to be getting worse every year. We do get way too much rain!

Hope your visit there is everything you want it to be! Oh yeah...take me with you...LOL! Have a great time!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
We live about 4 miles outside of Jonesborough going toward Greeneville and really love the area. The area where we live is mostly rolling hills and farmland with beautiful views of the mountains. It's only about a 30 to 40 minute drive from Jonesborough to Wolf Ridge Ski Resort in North Carolina. We have a chocolate Lab and Tennessee seems to agree with him. He'll soon be seven and he's acting like a frisky young dog again. Good luck in your travels.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM

43 posts, read 122,513 times
Default LindaV

How did your visit go? Would love to hear what you thought of the area! Happy New Year!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongShot View Post
I think its known as the most Haunted Place in the US. Ghost stories all over the place. Google it.
The ghosts are practically tripping over each other in Jonesborough. If you happen to see dead people, Jonesborough might be too crowded.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM

15 posts, read 85,389 times
williboy -- what is between Jonesborough and Greeneville? I mean, is there land for sale in that area? price per acre? any homesites? is Chuckey near there? it sounds really nice ...

Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Chuckey's about halfway between Jonesborough and downtown Greeneville, a little more towards the Greeneville side, while Telford/Limestone are more toward the Johnson City side (all in relation to HWY 11E).

Of course Greeneville has sprawled eastward, majorly, so that it's actually faster and easier to get to Super Walmart, Applebee's etc. from Chuckey than it is Greeneville proper.

Nothing much is between J'borough and Greeneville. In order, the communities go Telford/Leesburg, Limestone, Chuckey, Afton, Tusculum. Tusculum is basically east Greeneville, much like Jonesborough is west Johnson City.

Lots of land for sale, but no idea about prices per acre. I would imagine around 5-6k, but I could be off. Someone else know?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 AM

15 posts, read 85,389 times
jabogitlu - thanks for your response. when I come down to look around, will definitely shoot down/across 11E and see what I can find. I saw homesites (land) for sale in the Chuckey area, and I was just curious where exactly, in relation to Jonesborough, it was. Looks like they have nice peaceful views of the mountains, which I really, really want ! I'm about ready to purchase land, just not yet ready to build, ya' know? would have to sell the house I'm in now first. since they're "builders' homesites" I saw, I didn't know whether there was some sort of contract stipulation that you must build within a certain timeframe, which would be difficult for me to say exactly at this point in time.

Any other area suggestions folks willing to share, I'm all ears! Thanks, folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol