Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times

Advertisements

Apparently there was a student led prayer in memory of the South player that died during a game the week prior. There was also a memorial for the victims of 9-11.

Where on earth does the ACLU get off by threatening the school? And who would be offended by such touching gesture?

ACLU questions Gate City High about prayer before football game - Kingsport Times-News Online

Last edited by rccrain; 09-17-2009 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I imagine no one would object to a memorial service; in fact the article references such. But common mass prayer at any school function can be a very delicate subject from a legal standpoint.

Obviously no one is offended by the memorial service. But religion in schools is illegal. I'm sure the ACLU was just making sure that the school was aware of that fact. That's what the ACLU exists to do.

Trust me, I'm sure if it were a mass, student-led service denouncing religion and promoting atheism, that everyone would be all up in arms about it.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Mass common prayer at public schools can be tricky, and of course everyone has its own perspective on it according to their own viewpoint more than actual case law. I could quote case law stating that it is constitutional, someone else would reply with a quote saying its not, and I could write back with how that law has been overturned, etc. BUT we dont need to get in a legal discussion on this forum.

Regardless, this is why my child will be going to either a private school or a public school who decides not to be bullied by the ACLU.

Yes, if a student led organization denounced religion and endorsed atheism, there would be people up in arms. But it would be legal, just as this was.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
And I hear that. It's the circumstances under which the student led prayer occurred. If a Hindu player had passed in the previous week, I would have no problem with his friends honoring him with a Hindu gesture.

But under the circumstances, threatening the school is a bit out of taste.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I agree that in this case, a memorial statement of a fellow schools classmate showed a lot of class and respect for other humans. (the boy that died was from another school entirely.) The ACLU should have kept their nose out of this one.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I keep the ACLU types in my prayers because they need them. Bless their hearts. Of course, they do have to justify their existence don't they?

I think that a student led prayer is more than appropriate for many reasons. People don't have to attend and if it is healing to these kids then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol