Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 AM

383 posts, read 918,951 times

Advertisements

I love a good hotdog and this area actually has a decent selection of places to grab one. I'm a bit of a purist so I prefer a high quality natural casing dog on a quality roll - maybe some mustard - perhaps some onions or chili if the chili gets a recommendation from a trusted source. However, I'll take a shot at almost any dog that gets a decent review, especially if it is a regional specialty (and the ingredients are authentic).

So yesterday I stopped by the Windy City Hotdogs stand off Roan St by Hooters - big bright yellow and red umbrella - you can't miss it. Spoke to the owner for a bit and sampled one of his Chicago Style dogs. Mark is a nice guy who got caught up in some of the local layoffs earlier this year. He attended Hotdog University up in Chicago before he and a partner opened the stand. The ingredients were fresh and tasty and most important, the dog was a true Chicago Style dog. He purchases his products directly from Vienna all the way down to the sport peppers.

He also serves a polish and of course he will dress your dog any way you like but I highly recommend you give the Chicago Style a try. If you've never had one it can be a bit overwhelming but once you start eating, all the ingrediants just come together in a beautiful way.

I'll post more as I try other places but sure would like to hear of the good, bad, and ugly dogs you've tried in the area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
I've been to Dixie Outpost in Blountville, but I'd have to recommend their BBQ over the hot dogs. They claim to deep fry the the dogs, which needless to say peaked my interest, but in the end it was just a slightly above average hot dog.

However their BBQ and curl fried potatoes are definitely worth it.

Alternatively, a Pal's chili dog is always a winner.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
If you don't mind, what did you pay for the Windy City Dog?

I love the story of a laid off guy bootstrapping it like this ... may have to pay him a visit.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 AM

Well, I didn;t ask how much it was but by the change in my pocket from the $20 I'd say it was more than $2 and under $3 which seems about right for that product in this market.

Do you know if Dixie was using a natural casing dog? Those are often deep fried in some of the larger hotdog markets.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,583 times
Looks like a pretty authentic Chicago style dog to me. Poppy seeds on the bun and all!!! I'll have to tell my hubby about this one for the next time we are in the TRI.

Anyone know what hours and days the Windy City cart is there? Are they there on weekends?

I'm not a hot dog eater myself (haven't had one in at least 25 years) but the Corner Dog House in Bristol VA was (and apparently is) a good ol' time hotdog place. It's not too far from downtown on Mary Street. I remember loving their slaw dogs as a kid.

From State Street, turn left at the Bristol Sign and Trainstation onto MLK Blvd (former Randall Street Expy) then turn at the light onto Mary Street (right turn if you are coming from downtown) and you'll immediately cross the bridge over the Railroad Yard. Corner Dog House is on the corner, on the right, a few blocks down. It looks like a dive.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 AM

He's usually in that location 4-5 days a week as far as I can tell. He does open Saturdays but is usually gone every day by about 4.

I've passed the corner dog house 2 dozen times and haven't stopped...always seem to be over there for another reason but I will get by there asap to give it a try.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
I've passed the corner dog house 2 dozen times and haven't stopped...always seem to be over there for another reason but I will get by there asap to give it a try.
ASAP, huh? You must be a hotdog eating fiend

Sure hope I'm not steering you in the wrong direction. You'll have to report back with a review. I don't know if I would plan on gourmet dogs with all natural casings. HeeHee...I mean...look at the place

Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Hehe..I'm not a hotdog fiend...more of an independent restaurant fiend. Food doesn't have to be gourmet to be good (or great), it just needs to be quality ingredients prepared by somebody who cares about the product they are putting out.

And yes, I will report back!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I am not much of a hot dog person....actually prefer not to eat them in general. However once in a great while, a good dog hit's the spot. But it has to be a GOOD dog, usually all beef for me to eat it. I have had two from T.K.'s dogs on Broad St in Kingsport, they have a true Chicago dog too, my son loved it...but he is 18 and will eat just about anything that is not tied down.
But I did like the hot dog I got there too. Was a chili cheese dog.

I have seen a lot of folks at that hot dog stand off Roan though, must be good.
I do have to ask for a clarification though.......ljay, did you say you have the guy a $20 and got $2 or $3 back in change? That would mean you paid $17 to $18 for a hot dog??!!! Please tell me there is a typo in there somewhere.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM

More then $2 and less then $3 mb

here are the $18 Kobe Beef Hotdogs...(not served locally that I'm aware of though!)

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/1000hotdogs.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol