Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My wife and I are looking for a "future destination" for life after Florida. (I have been a fan of E. Tenn my whole life.)

Florida has seriously deteriorated over the last 30 years and one of our major considerations is the crime rate. City-Data is showing all 3 of the Tri Cities above the national average. What's the deal up there? Are these high rates (although better than FL) overblown? Otherwise the area looks great. Any thoughts from locals? Thanks!

Mark in FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 AM

78 posts, read 180,794 times
While not knowing the "crime rate" for this area, I can state that criteria for reporting varies from one area to another. Some places are quite lax in reporting anything unless significant, while other areas are quite diligent.

I'm not a local to the tri-cities, but my observations are that petty crime is on the rise everywhere as people are affected by the economy. I'm sure you'll have local input to this question.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Mark,
I can't answer your question as to the C-D statistics but I can give you my observations from the local news and personal experience. Since retiring I have lived in PA, DE, NC, SC and now TN and I have never been any place that has as few or lessor crimes than the Tri-Cities area. The area is not without crime but I can safely say it is one of more safer areas throughout the US.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
I agree with the above comments. Tri-Cities, all of them, and the little towns out skirting and in between, seem to be extremely diligent in crime reporting, oddly so. I talked to a Kingsport officer a while back about this and he was telling me that car accidents where a ticket is issued, is reported in the crime stats under the category everything involved fits into, such as seat belt laws, reckless driving, driving on a suspended, etc. So one traffic accident can add 3 crime stats numbers. Very odd, but I guess I can understand it. As for crimes against people, the majority of the time if there is against a person: shooting, home invasion, theft, etc. it seems to always be someone the victim of the crime knew. Family feuds are not uncommon. There also seems to be a lot of prescription drug abuse. So basically, unless you are bringing your feuding family with you or have an issue with prescription pills the crime here will not be visible to you or effect you.
I lived in S.E. FL, crime wise North East TN is heaven!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
I think in the crime department, we don't realize just how good we've go it compared to other places in the country! I know I rarely even think about this issue until someone mentions crime elsewhere. Even though there *other* issues, minimal crime is one big plus for the TRI..

Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,674 times
It depends on what statistic you are looking at. If you are looking at the UCR (Uniform Crime Report) by the FBI, only the most serious offense in each incident is included, despite what the Kingsport officer said. If you are looking at the NIBRS data also taken by the FBI, each particular crime is counted as a separate offense.

What you need to understand is that it is only reported crime and arrests. For example, If Kingsport and Johnson City had the same amount of crime (im talking about actual crime), but Johnson City's police did a better job of arresting the offenders, Johnson City would have a higher official crime rate because their police are better.

This is particularly a big deal with drug stats. If a city does alot of drug raids, it inflates the stats and scares everyone even though the police are actually doing a better job of protecting citizens, etc. than in a county where the police dont do frequent drug raids.

So it could be that our police are doing a good job here. Or it could be that we have more actual crime than other cities. From experience living here, I believe its the police doing a good job rather than higher crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol