Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:45 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,
I have been searching several states for possible retirement and have settled on East Tn. It is by far the best one for our needs. Home costs, taxes, close to lakes, etc. However, I have concerns that many places, such as Watauga Lake Marinas are all on steep, winding roads. The kind that have huge drop-offs and no guard rails> Yes, I am a total coward when it comes to this!! I have read in a few places such things,"this is at the end of a 2 mile mountain, gravel road,DRIVE SLOW ...it will take you 70 min. to make the trip..." Can't do that!! Am I panicking too soon??
Thanks for any input. This has been such a great site for so much info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,077 times
Although there are a few roads like that around here, they are rare. The key word is: few.

I would suggest a trip down here and drive around and explore. Carter County and Unicoi County have the most curvy roads, but the majority of them are fine.

By the way, I think you've made GREAT choice.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I agree with GrannyLois. I have to hold my breath getting to our place on Watauga Lake and on some of the backroads in the Smokies, but the majority of the reads here are excellent. Come check it out for yourself!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. We do plan to check out the area. Speaking of Watauga Lake, we had been planning on staying at the Lakeshore Resort. I called them and they told me the road from Elizabethton was OK. It gets bad heading toward Boone,NC. So will try to stay on the main roads and out of the mountains!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Good afternoon,
I have been searching several states for possible retirement and have settled on East Tn. It is by far the best one for our needs. Home costs, taxes, close to lakes, etc. However, I have concerns that many places, such as Watauga Lake Marinas are all on steep, winding roads. The kind that have huge drop-offs and no guard rails> Yes, I am a total coward when it comes to this!! I have read in a few places such things,"this is at the end of a 2 mile mountain, gravel road,DRIVE SLOW ...it will take you 70 min. to make the trip..." Can't do that!! Am I panicking too soon??
Thanks for any input. This has been such a great site for so much info.
The question you have to ask yourself is "Do I want to live in the mountains or see the mountains from my home?" Surely, you can find a location in East Tennessee that is on or very near to a lake, where you can see the mountains every day, drive to those mountains for pleasure outings within an hour, and yet you don't have to deal with those mountain and/or winding roads for everyday travel to stores, library, post office, restaurants, medical, etc.

You don't want to be forced to stay in your home at night or in bad weather because you are afraid to drive. Look for a place with a lake in East Tennessee where the necessities and things you enjoy are near to your home, are all on fairly flat land (could be elevated, but flat)...and yet the mountains are not that far away and you can see them from where you live.

I'm sure people here could name some places.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks,Laura, I would not live "in" the mountains. Just be where I could see them! And I would not like to be stuck not being able to go out on the roads. However, I am kinda used to that here in up state NY.. Days when I won't drive because of ice and snow..but here the snow stops..around May..The mountain roads are always there!!! Thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,077 times
Trudey, where are you in upstate NY? My friend is from the Utica area. He's moving down here next year.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 PM

Granny, I'm about 20 miles East of Rochester..small rural town..(Not NYC!!!)
From alot of MB Mouse's pics, your area looks much the same, except for your beautiful mountains. And of course the weather. I still want a little snow, just not 150" a year! I'd like to visit maybe in Sept. When is your peak fall folliage?

Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM

64 posts, read 243,164 times
Default Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Thanks for your replies. We do plan to check out the area. Speaking of Watauga Lake, we had been planning on staying at the Lakeshore Resort. I called them and they told me the road from Elizabethton was OK. It gets bad heading toward Boone,NC. So will try to stay on the main roads and out of the mountains!
I drove 321 to Boone on Sunday, and I love the twisty turny roads. Elk Creek Road just outside of Boone is the hairiest one I've found yet. But, I love this kind of driving - it's why I moved out here. There are certainly plenty of places to live on easier roadways.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Have you thought any about Boone Lake or Holston Lake? They have much fewer steep or curvey roads around them than Watugga would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol