Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times

Advertisements

The Tri-Cities is known for its conservatism, but the bubble mentality that gripped the nation during the housing boom may not have been completely absent here, and the Grande Harbor subdivision near Tri-Cities Regional Airport seems to provide a case in point.

...“There was just a few of those projects that stood out in your mind a little bit, and that was one of them that seemed to be overpriced even at the height of the market,” says Steve Reed, who received several lot loan proposals for Grande Harbor property around the end of 2005.

JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

Last edited by kamoshika; 11-01-2009 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
"The developers set about putting in extensive infrastructure, including underground utilities, one gated entrance, a clubhouse with swimming pool, and enough streets and sidewalks for about 200 lots. Eventually, the development was to include a private dock and boat slip area, walking trails, a community garden and a putting green, as well as several “pocket park” type common areas."

I have been saying it for years, this area is just not for "developments" like these. Notice how all the current lot owners are from states way far away?
People in general just don't move to east TN for private, gated communities like this and pay that kind of premium. We just don't have the economy base for this, we have a culture that is a simpler way of life. Sorry, but these developers get what they deserve. We don't have what folks who live in these kind of communities want...no Nordstrom's, Macy's, Italian specialty food markets, seafood markets, etc.
Think about what a lot of people just on this forum alone ask for when they are researching this area from else where.....(paraphraseing here)...." I would love an older farm house or log cabin, mountain views, a stream running through the property, an acre or two, just enough so my neighbors aren't on top of me, good health care, the stores I like with in less than 10 minutes drive and I want it all for under 150k."
Granted, they aren't going to find all that...well the most won't anyway....but that is what they are looking for and what do the developers build? The same that is in the states people are leaving! Gated communities or cheap split foyers right on top of each other.....then they cry and blame the economy, banking or any other thing they can because their development flopped. Gimmy a break.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
I totally agree. Out of town developers who start up these gated communities are asking for it. To this area, a gated community will drop your property value vs. a non gated similar community. Likewise with some of the silly property restrictions.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
If a developer would look at communities like Fair Acres in Kingsport, the Tree Streets in JC, the Gump addition, Fairmont and so forth and build more of those, then they could be successful. Why not look at what has worked and is sought after here, by those who live here? Those are true neighborhoods...you know, 4 or 5 parallel streets, with sidewalks and different style houses, but yet have their similarities. Why this need for culdesac, little bitty lots, huge houses crammed on top of each other and they all look alike and you have all these rules attached to live there? I just don't get it.
I'll tell y'all something else too....if I see another split foyer for sale, I am gonna........blow cookies (being polite here. ) Why can't contractors build anything with any character any more?
Can ya tell I have been looking to buy a new house? hahahhaha

Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
...no Nordstrom's, Macy's, Italian specialty food markets, seafood markets, etc.
I agree with your sentiment on this rant, but I'm not sure why you pick on Macy's. Macy's is not all that different from J.C. Penney or Proffitt's/Parks Belk.

I actually disagree to some extent, however, with the direction of your critique. I don't think the Tri-Cities is any different than most of the other places in the nation in being overcome by greed, selfishness, destruction of community, the suburban nightmare, etc. I wish it were the exception, but it's not. It's just smaller and less wealthy than places like Atlanta and NoVa ... that's the only difference.

I was a delivery driver for Papa John's for years, so I've probably visited just about every phony community in Johnson City, Gray, and Kingsport. Most of these communities aren't choked full of transplants; they are composed largely of native Tri-Citians.

But I totally agree with you about neighborhoods with character. That's what I love about downtown JC. It's a national trend, though --- since the 1950s, we've been building these sprawled-out suburbs with no character or personality. The goal of these suburbs has increasingly become to separate one's self from the world rather than to integrate one's self within a community. It's sad ... I hope to see us shift back in the other direction.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Pointe 24 (near winged deer park on 11-e) has to be struggling too. This summer they were trying to give away "free" boats with each home purchase. It's a beautiful development, just too high priced.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
I agree with your sentiment on this rant, but I'm not sure why you pick on Macy's. Macy's is not all that different from J.C. Penney or Proffitt's/Parks Belk.
Not true. Even small towns (like Greeneville) support JCPenney and Belk. Macy's isn't even in the Knoxville market. Price or merchandise-wise maybe, demographics-wise, no.

The only gated community that I know of that is quite successful in JC is Woodstone. But it's got quite the allure - an amazing view and interesting architecture.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Not true. Even small towns (like Greeneville) support JCPenney and Belk. Macy's isn't even in the Knoxville market. Price or merchandise-wise maybe, demographics-wise, no.
It has nothing to do with "small towns". Macy's isn't in the East TN market. Just like Parks Belk isn't in the Southern New Jersey market.

Macy's roots are in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions; they've only recently tried to become a national chain. They've expanded a lot in the South in the past two decades, but they haven't entered the East TN market yet. They are pretty much all over the place in Maryland, (most of) Virginia, and central Carolina; including small towns.

Everyone in East TN thinks Macy's is some high-end retailer because they see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and that's all they know about Macy's; they are pretty much just a better organized version of JC Penney's. It's like comparing Best Buy and Circuit City (before it went bankrupt). Penney's and Macy's are in the same malls in most of the country and cater to almost the exact same demographic.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
By the way, I would not call Woodstone a success. They have a very difficult time selling those with over 200/month association fees, a look that isnt appealing to most, etc. Woodstone had its day, it is now lowering the property value of those owners significantly over similar condos.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
By the way, I would not call Woodstone a success. They have a very difficult time selling those with over 200/month association fees, a look that isnt appealing to most, etc. Woodstone had its day, it is now lowering the property value of those owners significantly over similar condos.
Wow, that's steep for JC. Sounds like highway robbery. Some associations are known for that.

I can't think of any reason why it would be $200/month. What do they even provide? Tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a gate? For a community that size, that shouldn't cost $200/month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol