Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 PM

65 posts, read 240,967 times

Advertisements

Yes, on occasion there is ice in Johnson City, sometimes black ice.
But we just wait a few hours until it all melts!

Seriously, the area cities seem to do well with putting down chemicals "preventively", but the county roads are not as well maintained.
Kids in the city are jealous of the frequency county schools dismiss for ice and snow. If you could see some of the remote areas the county school buses run, you would understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM

23 posts, read 94,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslady View Post
Hi. I'm in the process of deciding where I want to relocate to when I retire in a few years - I am now in the Kansas City area. I'm interested in either TN or NC; however, I want to avoid areas that get ice in the winter.

Are there any of you who live, or have lived, in the Johnson City area that can shed some light on whether or not that area gets ice in the winter months?

Thanks for your help!

Katie
Katie: I believe you would really love Albemarle, NC (Stanly County). It's the perfect small city, within driving distance to the largest mall in NC, which is the one in Concord, called Concord Mills mall. We have mild winters, and very little snow. Once in awhile we do have ice storms, but that's not the norm. We have a wonderful crew of city and county workers that get our power back on in record time. I love this town, and it's very beautiful with green lush rolling hills, and lots of trees for shade in the summers. It's far enough from the ocean to visit easily, yet, safe enough should a hurricane strike. It is also ideal because the homes are very affordable. That's why I moved here from Virginiia Beach. I could buy a home for 1/4 the price of Virginia Beach. You can purchase a new home for $127,000.00, or you can buy a very nice craftsman home for as little as $49,000. There are cheaper ones, but that's the price a nice home starts at. I hope this helps you. Good luck on your move, and hope you find the right place for you. Pamela

Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
The Charlotte area is nice. It is surrounded by lots of great towns like the one PamelaChi mentioned.

FYI- The largest mall in NC is Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem. You may want to check out the triad (Winston- Salem, Greensboro, High Point) area. They tend to get more snow or a wintry mix when areas to the south gets ice. The snow tends to melt quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol