Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 AM

190 posts, read 443,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
You must not be from the South. We don't trust organizations, as a rule. The existence of the city's Traffic Engineering Department is only further proof that they're conspiring to lower the yellow light time interval.
Ha yes and you don't have to be from the south to not trust any organization. Case in point, me!

The only problem with letting someone rear-end you is that your insurance still goes up, even if you're not at fault (at least in New Jersey that's how I understand it works). You could just not go through insurance I suppose. Then there are potential medical problems. My darn neck already hurts, without car accidents!

I just drive slow, often slightly below the limit. This drives people from coastal cities nuts, but hey, I can't afford the tickets and surcharges. Pass me buddy. Honk and flash all you want. I'm also always coasting down in my speed ever so slightly as I approach intersections, even if the light is currently "green." It's asinine, but it's probably the way the DMV wants you to drive anyway. This is a 99.9% surefire way to never get caught at a camera intersection, even if the yellow is so short that a top-fuel dragster couldn't make it across in time. And believe me, in Newark and Union City, California, a dragster definitely couldn't. By the way, the ticket in that glorious state isn't $100, it's $446 and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 AM

26 posts, read 61,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
You must not be from the South. We don't trust organizations, as a rule. The existence of the city's Traffic Engineering Department is only further proof that they're conspiring to lower the yellow light time interval.
Almost all TN cities with a significant amount of traffic lights will have a Traffic Engineering Department. In fact, many TN cities encourage their technicians to get certified by the IMSA - International Municipal Signal Association. (Someone from the city needs to program, configure, and maintain a signal traffic light.)

Also,from a PDF file at the website (in case you wish to read it, yourself): http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Chief_En...ign_Manual.pdf
"4.5.6.1 Yellow Change Interval (Yellow Clearance Interval) Timing –
The Yellow Change Interval of a traffic signal is used to notify the motorist that the Green Interval is ending. The Yellow Change Interval normally has a range of 3.0 to 6.0 seconds. Tennessee Code Annotated requires a minimum three seconds yellow time, with 4.0 seconds preferred. Yellow Change Intervals in excess of 5.0 seconds may encourage motorists to “run the yellow” instead of stopping. If a clearance interval time in excess of 5.0 seconds is required on all but very high speed approaches (greater than 55 mph), the additional time should be provided by an All Red Clearance Interval."

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Oooookay.... maybe we need to first go over humor...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
Wow, now we find out we are dealing with a really dirty company (Redflex). Were our commissioners "lobbied"?

JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN
Quote:
Redflex Traffic Systems, the company scheduled to fire up its digital red light cameras at the first Johnson City intersection today, had its camera program halted last month in Jefferson Parish, La., when it was learned they were giving kickbacks to a lobbyist who helped the company win that contract.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Of course. To expect anything else is to be naive. Any government is corrupt, that's the nature of the beast. We just work to contain it.

If anybody comes up with a better system, please let us know

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,846 times
Don't like red light cameras?
Don't break the law by running red lights.
Simple!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 AM

That's all well and good, but what if a ticket shows up in your mail box, but you know you didn't speed or run a red? Don't say it can't happen because it has - thousands of times.

What about sending potentially millions of local dollars to an Australian company that that gives kickbacks to install its revenue generating cameras? If there is a mistake, what is their interest in correcting it?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
That's all well and good, but what if a ticket shows up in your mail box, but you know you didn't speed or run a red? Don't say it can't happen because it has - thousands of times.

What about sending potentially millions of local dollars to an Australian company that that gives kickbacks to install its revenue generating cameras? If there is a mistake, what is their interest in correcting it?
I suspect Redflex's interest would be a similar scenario to Toyota's situation. Cities not comfortable with Redflex's business behavior would consider the competition's products and services (ATS, LaserCraft, or Traffipax)???

Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 AM

What is the city's interest in correcting mistakes? That's money from their pockets too. In my experience, dealing with local government is akin to banging your head against a wall.

Plus, you're taking a huge risk in contesting any mistake because it could end up on your driving record if you lose. The best move by honest people in other cities has been to take their situation to the local media after months of anguish.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
What is the city's interest in correcting mistakes? That's money from their pockets too. In my experience, dealing with local government is akin to banging your head against a wall.

Plus, you're taking a huge risk in contesting any mistake because it could end up on your driving record if you lose. The best move by honest people in other cities has been to take their situation to the local media after months of anguish.
A good example of a Redflex mistake: Late delivery stops Redflex » Knoxville News Sentinel

Thus, Knoxville's transferred their interest to LaserCraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol