U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,429 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family out to Tennessee at the end of the year. We have an 8 year old daughter and hopefully another child to come a little down the way. We are working with a realtor that has told us to stay in the Kingsport area, that the area has what we are looking for. Which is decent schools, jobs close by, a family oriented area with decent housing prices with a little land. Is this the right area for us, we are open to options and don't mind commuting a little if necessary just to live in a beautiful setting, preferrably with mountains, streams and woods. Any info would help, we have been reading alot of the threads and people give mixed reviews on Kingsport, especially about the chemical plant and permanant odor, which is a concern.
Thanks to everyone for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,073 times
Default Kingport Relocation

Lived in Mt. Carmel, west-adjacent to Kingsport, for 10 years and enjoyed the experience and would recommended the Kingsport area over Bristol due to it's openess. Worked at chemical plant and odor was only bad as you neared the plant - near meaning, depending on which way the wind was blowing. Dubbed it "the sweet smell of employment." Don't recall the odor getting to our area in Mt. Carmel.
Although did not have a child in school, the Kingsport schools seemed to be better than in the surrounding area. Parents outside the city limits were paying tuition to send the children to Dobbins-Bennett High, when there were openings available. There are several schools in the surrounding area.
If the plant odor puts you off, there are several small communities sprinkled through-out the area that are an easy commute to the whole northeast Tn, vicinity. Even Rogersville, a city rather than a community is within an easy commute.
Highly recommend the area and sorry am not there currently.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Thank you! That was helpful. It's a little frightening moving to an area we are so unfamiliar with. We are excited and nervous and just want to land in a decent area that is community oriented. The Tri-Cities are highly recommended by alot of people on this sight and our realator explained that we could get more for our money in Kingsport vs JC with a reasonable amount of commute time.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Thank you! We found a home in Rogersville, we are headed out this weekend to look at it and hopefully close the deal!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:45 PM

302 posts, read 1,359,601 times
Talking Rogersville is a very nice town

Bought property in Rogersville (actually just outside) last year, and will be moving down next year! good luck.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 PM

14 posts, read 74,228 times
I have lived in Bristol, Tn for about 2 years now. It seems like it is trying to become a retirement city based around the Nascar track. More and more housing developments without any new industries to support new jobs. Johnson City and Kingsport seem to want to grow. Currently I am planning on moving to Chattanooga next year because it really seems like a growing city that really wants to support businesses to start and help support that city. I am trying to get a business off the ground but Bristol is not the place to do it. Hope that helps some.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM

We heard alot about the growth in the Kingsport & Johnson City as far as employment goes, although it'll be about a 30 minute to 1 hour commute, we are willing to do it for the house and property we found. We thought about Chattanooga but the school systems are rated so terribly that i don't really want my kids down there. Wish us good luck in our job hunting, that is next on the list after our roadtrip this weekend.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 AM

7,280 posts, read 19,738,805 times
Have any of you looked in the Gray area? Schools are GREAT and short drive to Kingsport, no smell from Eastman. Thats what I do and LOVE it. I have kids in school too. Email me if you want more info and need some links about the area.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 19,738,805 times
Default How did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill65
We heard alot about the growth in the Kingsport & Johnson City as far as employment goes, although it'll be about a 30 minute to 1 hour commute, we are willing to do it for the house and property we found. We thought about Chattanooga but the school systems are rated so terribly that i don't really want my kids down there. Wish us good luck in our job hunting, that is next on the list after our roadtrip this weekend.
Just wondering how your trip went? Was it all you hoped it would be? I would love to hear how you made out.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 18,737 times
Default Kingsport Relocation

We have just moved here from Atlanta with three children (2 in elementary and 1 in middle school). We have chosen our schools first and a home second (within that district). If school is a priority, I would look at only Kingsport City Schools. Academically, they are superior and seem more down to earth. The high school's ACT and SAT test scores outscored most of the top high schools in North Fulton County. I would also suggest setting up appointments to visit each school and compare them as well as go online to the TN school report card to compare.

We also liked elementary schools in Johnson City such as Lake Ridge and Towne Acres however I was not at all interested in the middle school nor high school. They did not offer an advanced track in the middle school.

We would personally prefer to live the lifestyle in Johnson City, Gray or Jonesborough but you cannot justify it if your children are not getting the best education. You may have an 8-year old, but unbelievably by the 5th grade your child is positioned for which "academic track" the student will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol