U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,213,828 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Want to move to TN from South Alabama. I am interested in Rogersville, TN or any other nice smaller towns in TN. I would like to buy between 50 and 100 acres. Can anybody tell me anything about this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,245,244 times
Rogersville is very nice - quaint-like. You'll do fine, so long as you swear allegiance to the Vols.

Greenville is a little larger, but every bit as nice with a little more convenience. I'd check it out too.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,218,292 times
What would you like to know about Rogersville? It is a small historic little town that is rather removed from any other large area/city. Not an awful (actually beautiful) but a bit long drive (40-45 minutes) to either Morristown to it's west or Kingsport to it's east for major medical/shopping and so forth.
If you are looking for that much land, you would be quite a ways out from the downtown area so the above maybe longer or shorter depending on your location within the county.
Do you need to find a job once here? If so, they are very scarce in Hawkins Co. If yes, what field of work will you be looking in?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
What would you like to know about Rogersville? It is a small historic little town that is rather removed from any other large area/city. Not an awful (actually beautiful) but a bit long drive (40-45 minutes) to either Morristown to it's west or Kingsport to it's east for major medical/shopping and so forth.
If you are looking for that much land, you would be quite a ways out from the downtown area so the above maybe longer or shorter depending on your location within the county.
Do you need to find a job once here? If so, they are very scarce in Hawkins Co. If yes, what field of work will you be looking in?
Thanks, and no I wouldn't have to have a job. If I could find something part time I wouldn't mind that. Mainly I just want to get out in the country and live. I am very tired of the rat race. What are the people like? Also, do you know much about Greenville? An earlier poster mentioned it.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Yep, Folks live in Rogersville and I looked at opening a business in Rogersville years ago so I have learned a lot about it. I used to live in Greeneville and so have another few members on here, so please fell free to just ask questions as they come up.
The people in Rogersville are nice over all, you have two very distinct classes in Rogersville, the very well off and the very poor. Few average middle class, but the other two are prominent. The Sheriffs office has had it's issues, but nothing serious. The majority of the folks that live there have always lived there, as have their ancestors, but over the past 10 years or so more transplants moving in and all seems to be integrating pretty well. There are a few stores in town, couple of grocery stores, auto parts store, dollar general and so forth. No Lowe's or Home Depot (that is the one store Dad misses the most having close by.) but there is a Wal-Mart.
Sorry, can't think of what else I can tell you about it without some specific questions hahahaha.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Hi mbmouse,

So newcomers are welcome? What about other races? Where is the nearest movie theater? Do they have much real estate for sale, not houses land? Also, what is the weather like?

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM

I don't know about large tracks of land, try Realtor.com or any of the other Real Estate search sites. I imagine if there is any it is over the mountain in the Poor valley area...not so keen on other races out there, or Surgoinsville which is a nice area just outside of Rogersville.
There are several races accounted for in the area and no one seems to be treated any differently that I have noticed, but it is predominately white. There is no movie theater, you would have to go to Greeneville, Kingsport or Morristown for that.
I would say yes, newcomers are welcome, but like anywhere else in the region, as long as you are moving there because you like it as it is, not try to change it to conform to you, then you will be fine, happy and make friends even.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM

357 posts, read 914,039 times
I don't want to bad mouth Hawkins county/Rogersville but I feel I need to give you a heads up about some pretty strong issues that that particular area has especially if your concerned about being accepted or equality issues. I've had to have a lot of dealings out in Hawkins county for work and have been left with a bad taste in my mouth for a number of reasons. First is the prominent drug use in that area. I spoke with a TN state trouper and he reported that Hawkins county is one of the worst counties in TN for Meth/drug use. The schools in general are not very good. In addition, Hawkins county has a lot of dog fighting and rooster fighting. I witnessed first hand a lot of animal abuses and mistreatment and when I tried to report some of it I was told that they don't do anything about it in that area. However, I do want to be clear that there is a lot of nice people in Hawkins county and it is beautiful country with a lot of wide open spaces. I'm just not sure that nice people and beautiful countryside can overcome problem drug use

Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM

6,918 posts, read 15,639,389 times
As far as animal treatment goes, that's just how people used to be. Country folk don't view animals as "pets," just as animals. I am NOT condoning animal abuse in any way, but a lot of what people think of as animal abuse is just how animals used to be regarded and how they live in the wild.

True animal abuse, starving fenced in horses or caging dogs in tiny cages etc., is horrible.

Anyway. Rogersville is really far out there. Have you ever lived in the country? If not, try coming and staying in a hotel in Rogersville (I guess there's one) to see how you like driving 45 minutes every time you need something that Walmart doesn't have. And imagine yourself with Walmart as basically your only entertainment option. That's the reality of Rogersville.

Greeneville is a lot better. You can still live in the middle of nowhere in Greene County and be 20-25 minutes away from major medical (Laughlin and/or Takoma), a nice new 8 or 9 screen theater, Belk, JCPenney, etc.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I don't want to bad mouth Hawkins county/Rogersville but I feel I need to give you a heads up about some pretty strong issues that that particular area has especially if your concerned about being accepted or equality issues. I've had to have a lot of dealings out in Hawkins county for work and have been left with a bad taste in my mouth for a number of reasons. First is the prominent drug use in that area. I spoke with a TN state trouper and he reported that Hawkins county is one of the worst counties in TN for Meth/drug use. The schools in general are not very good. In addition, Hawkins county has a lot of dog fighting and rooster fighting. I witnessed first hand a lot of animal abuses and mistreatment and when I tried to report some of it I was told that they don't do anything about it in that area. However, I do want to be clear that there is a lot of nice people in Hawkins county and it is beautiful country with a lot of wide open spaces. I'm just not sure that nice people and beautiful countryside can overcome problem drug use
Wow. I knew Hawkins CO. had a meth issue, but I didn't think it was that bad. Thanks for sharing that. I know they pretty much kicked the marijuana issue because they retired the search helicopter due to using gas to fly it but didn't find any more for such a long time.
I agree with Jab about the animals, I hate to see it too, but country folk, true old time country folk, like you will find in about any rural area in North East TN, like Hawkins Co do see their animals like that. To them they are doing the right thing by the animal and letting it be it's natural self yet feed it. At least that is how it was explained to me once by an old timer.
I also agree about the medical, I have already told Mom that if she has to go back into the hospital for anything, it better be Holston in Kingsport and I would transport her myself.
They do enjoy living there because they have made great friends, they love there house (an old, old one the rehabbed) and they love their church, but they do wish they were closer to Kingsport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>