Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,466,446 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking about moving to Abingdon VA/Bristol Va . . . yes, I know these are the TN threads . . .

BUT, the job market I hear is not good at all in that area, so if we were to commute . . . I am assuming it would be to Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol TN.

Does anyone know about the job market? Are there white collar jobs there as well as blue collar?

I'm new to the computer more or less (yes, you read that correctly), and I have tried searching for businnesses in that area, what kind of manufacturing there is (husband is in trucking, one son Architect) and I am at a loss.

Also, CNN Money choose this as one of the best places to retire, yet from what I read if I am understanding this correctly, is that there is high crime in the area.

For those of you that are "IN THE KNOW" can you tell me more about this area, point me in the right direction.

We want to know if this is a growing place, or an area of economic decline, we have made bad choices before just because an area we wanted to live in was beautiful . . . . but had absolutely no economic base, and the real estate market was awful . . . . don't want to get badly burned again.

Thanks for any and all help !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,380,932 times
The area took a bad hit back in the 80's when we lost Texas Instruments, Valley Dale and a number of other larger employers, we lost Superior wheels in watauga last year when GM canceled further contracts and put 500 people out of work, Virginia Intermont College has cancelled any athletic programs it had in an attempt to stay solvent and is receiving Donated funds to continue paying its utility bills. The city of Bristol has plans in the works for a new Industrial Park which it hopes will bring in larger companies so we might see some relief in the next few years. Bristol isn't a place that moves fast to correct problems, tax revenues from Bristol Raceway satisfy local government needs, this year instead of offering tax incentives to attract new business it spent $2,000,000 for a new sidewalk so that nascar fans don't get their feet dirty 2 weeks a year. They are almost finished with a new bridge that will divert traffic from the down town section that they are supposed to be trying to " Revitalize".
Sadly most new development in this area is on a retail level, Exit 7 on the Virginia side has been growing for several years.
Johnson City is the most progressive area in the region and continues to grow at a steady pace, it has built up since the 80's to a degree that it is now a city thats borders Jonesborough, Grey, Piney Flats and is approaching Erwin. It is a well planned out community with an intellegent city government.
Trucking is big business for the area and your husband should have no problem regardless of where you choose to settle. I-81 runs through Abingdon VA, Bristol VA,TN and Kingsport/Johnson City.
Crime is a problem in the area, Bristol has been receiving grant money to try and clean up a large area that runs from Volunteer Parkway north and west to State Street that is mostly made up of single parent familys.
Abingdon is nice, much of it is historical but blends well with the surrounding farmland. Dumascus and Marion are not far off and attract outdoors enthusists and a large College crowd. The appalachian Trail intersects with the creeper trail in Dumascus so alot of hikers, cycleists and horseback riders frequent the area.
A good home in this area sells fast, sales are stagnant only because of a vast portfolio of older and substandard homes on the market. Many of the older homes in Bristol have been vinyl wrapped in an attempt to discuise them but lack much insulation or updated heating choices and are sitting on 50' x 100' lots without driveways. Originally the city had alleyways they maintained but have since turned them over to its citizens to fight over.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,338,804 times
Hello,
Actually we have many factories here that are great employers and have good benefits. There are also several national call centers here, Citi, Windam (think that is the name) resorts and Cingular to name 3. Most of these hire through Employment agencies, you should give a few a call or check out their web sites.
I personally don't care for Bristol so I personally would suggest Kingsport, Johnson City and any of those surrounding areas. Everything is pretty easy to get to from one to the other. To give you some idea of distance, from the NC boarder top the VA border on HWY 26 it is 54 miles. This is the main hwy that goes through Johnson City and Kingsport.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,317 times
Default MBMOUSE how do I get in touch with you

privately?

thanks!
Hiscowgirl
(moving to TN in the next six months)

Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,338,804 times
Email sent.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM

86 posts, read 334,058 times
Several posters have given you good information on the area....like many areas the tri-cities region has seen downsizing of manufacturing over the last few years but the economy has stabilized and we have good employment opportunities. Trucking should be no problem...there are several distribution centers and jobs available. I will send you an off-line message with the name of a staffing agency that should be able to answer your questions about employment. This agency covers the region of upper East Tennessee and Southwest VA.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,010 times
I have lived in the Tri Cities area for over a year and have been visiting the area for over 7 years. It is wonderful everywhere up with the the weather & the wonderful lifestyle that it has to offer. Abingdon is a beautiful area & there are jobs in Bristol & Abingdon. I worked @ Universal Companies last year. They are a great company and are located in Abingdon- I'm sure this company is one of the best companies in the area to work for. - really nice people - decent pay & great products and services. They also have all types of positions. The drive was too far for me since I live in Johnson City so, I resigned... I would recommend that you check with them to see what positions they have available - I'm sure you will find them to be the best in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
We are seriously thinking about moving to Abingdon VA/Bristol Va . . . yes, I know these are the TN threads . . .

BUT, the job market I hear is not good at all in that area, so if we were to commute . . . I am assuming it would be to Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol TN.

Does anyone know about the job market? Are there white collar jobs there as well as blue collar?

I'm new to the computer more or less (yes, you read that correctly), and I have tried searching for businnesses in that area, what kind of manufacturing there is (husband is in trucking, one son Architect) and I am at a loss.

Also, CNN Money choose this as one of the best places to retire, yet from what I read if I am understanding this correctly, is that there is high crime in the area.

For those of you that are "IN THE KNOW" can you tell me more about this area, point me in the right direction.

We want to know if this is a growing place, or an area of economic decline, we have made bad choices before just because an area we wanted to live in was beautiful . . . . but had absolutely no economic base, and the real estate market was awful . . . . don't want to get badly burned again.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:14 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,010,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

Don't forget that Tennessee has no state income tax, but Virginia does. So if you live in Virginia and work in Tennessee, you will pay an income tax to Virginia. However, if you live in Tennessee you will not pay a state income tax, and you can still hop over to Virginia to pay lower sales taxes when you do your shopping.

Eastman in Kingsport is in dire need of highly educated workers at its chemical plant. It pays very well, too. Johnson City has a gigantic medical community that is always hiring.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,251,779 times
Thats me... I live in Tennessee and work in Virginia, but have to pay VA state taxes.

On a side note, RCM58 mentioned some things that has me thinking... thats true about that bridge.... diverting traffic from downtown, but its good in a way, because that area is often blocked by a stopped train. I think downtown would be a much more pleasant place to shop if there was more parking. What ever happened to that parking garage that was supposed to be built at the corner of State St. and M. L. King JR. BLVD? I thought it was supposed to be built on the southeast side of the WCYB-NBC parking lot? I emailed the city about this and they act like they knew nothing of it.

I think also if some large/taller office buildings were built downtown that may bring in more business on the executive level... like some sort of corporate headquarters.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM

10,093 posts, read 14,491,110 times
I've never liked Bristol either. I am originally from the Church Hill & Kingsport areas of TN. I grew up there (born and raised). Like others mentioned, Johnson City is the most progressive and fast-growing city of the 'big 3' Tri-cities towns. JC has just under 60,000 population and has East Tennessee State University as the "anchor" to its progressive nature (more progressive than the other two cities). Bristol has always been a little more slow growing--at least on the TN side of Bristol (Bristol, as most know, splits the city between TN and VA). Bristol's image while growing up was always one of "depressed area" and more "white trash." (not to offend anyone..) It has probably changed today--since I lived there in the 80's.
Kingsport is nicknamed "The Model City" and I like it best of the three--and not just because I grew up around there. The city has many employers, a great planned downtown (Columbia University Professors/Students help design Kingsport's layout in the early 20th century), Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium closeby, Warriors Path State Park closeby, tons of lakes and rivers, and always lots of new restaurants and stores coming into the city. The population is around 45,000 people and somewhat slow-growing. But there is a demand from what I understand for Eastman Chemical Company. This huge company has pledged to invest several billion (BILLION!) dollars in the Kingsport plant. That's major, obviously, and means it will be established in Kingsport for many decades to come. High paying jobs there--although the chemicals may be somewhat hazardous to your health!! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol