U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM

16,060 posts, read 30,371,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
i have been through the tri cities housing market from a-z. What would you like to know?

There are a ton of 2 story colonials which have been built in development settings over the last 20 years. They list for 200 to 500, but you can just about name your price if the seller is desperate enough. There are NO buyers for all of these homes.

Condos are the same story. I was recently at an auction, only one-half of the units sold at prices which were 30% below market.

Lots are available everywhere. Just be careful cause builders/developers are changing their 'direction' for many projects. Some are putting up tract homes in place of custom stuff.

Low end....tons available....100K or less...just make a bid.

What else would you like to know?
Welcome to the forum Ted.

Your post just doesn't make sense to me in regards to housing in Tri Cities TN. I just don't think that there are tons of builders and developers working right now and there aren't tons of houses under 100K available. I noticed your IP address and wonder if perhaps thought you were posting in your home state?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 PM

80 posts, read 206,980 times
If a house has sat on the market for 4 years and not sold, it is way over priced.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,218,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBooth2 View Post
If a house has sat on the market for 4 years and not sold, it is way over priced.
I agree with 4 years but 4 or 6 months is not necessarily an indicator of over pricing in this current economic world.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 PM

123 posts, read 336,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I agree with Kamoshika. I have to say I respectfully disagree with Ted on one thing especialy...where are "tons" of homes under 100k? I looked up the MLS, there are only a very few that fit into the description the OP is requesting. (mostly mobile homes in that price range)
Hi
We are looking to find a manufactured home on an acre. We want to own the land, and don't want to live in a park. We'd like a little breathing room. Is it possible to find a home in good repair in that price range? I'm not afraid of an older home it just has to be in good repair. Thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,218,292 times
Sure, if you are willing to find a home that needs some TLC and/or a mobile, you should be able to have several to choose from under a 100k. Just go to any MLS site, like Realtor.com or something similar, put in zip code 37615, then expand that to a 25 mile radius and that should give you a really good idea of what you can get for the $$ in the majority of the Tri-Cities area you are looking at.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM

123 posts, read 336,634 times
Gee, thanks a lot. I'll do that right now

Old 03-07-2010, 09:11 PM

41 posts, read 144,055 times
Are craftsman style houses very common in the tricities area? I've been looking on line and I don't see them.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,015,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroma View Post
Are craftsman style houses very common in the tricities area? I've been looking on line and I don't see them.
The greatest likelihood of finding a craftsman style house would probably be in Johnson City's Tree Streets. There is a wonderful variety of uniquely styled homes there - not sure about Kingsport or Bristol?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,425,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroma View Post
I'm only familiar with older Craftsman-style homes in the Tri-Cities, and the largest concentration of such homes I know of is along Bristol, VA's Euclid Avenue. The Euclid Avenue Historic District (including Highland, Arlington, Lawrence, Piedmont & Prospect avenues and several other streets) also has dozens of bungalow-style homes w/ some Craftsman features.

FWIW, the Spanish Revival-style home in the lower left of the photo linked above is currently on the market for $175K. Built in the '20s, the 3 bedroom/1.5 bath home is 2380 sq. ft. and from the pics I've seen, is truly gorgeous inside.

I've seen a few Craftsman-style homes and several bungalows in older Kingsport neighborhoods, but nothing to compare to the collection in Bristol, VA.

Last edited by kamoshika; 03-08-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 AM

6,918 posts, read 15,639,389 times
Bristol does seem to have quite a good collection, for whatever reason. In Johnson City, like SarahSal said, your best bet will be the Historic Tree Streets Neighborhood or surrounds. I live (in JC) on Highland Avenue, a few blocks over from the Trees and I have a cute 1930s arts and crafts bungalow. This neighborhood (Mountain Home/Watauga Square) has some good streets and some very bad ones, though. The Tree Streets are all "gentrified" (though not in the $400k sense), though the further south towards University Parkway one proceeds, the smaller/rougher/newer the housing stock becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>