U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 PM

15 posts, read 35,895 times

Advertisements

Dh has an interview and we are all coming up as a family to scout out the area! Our heart has been set on the area for quite sometime... but, we've never even been up there! So, I'm praying we will all like it and that our move up there this summer will actually happen!!

Questions:

What can we expect the weather to be like mid-march?

Any must-see's? We don't mind doing touristy stuff but we'd also like to get a feel for what it would be like to actually live there (Johnson City)!

Any non-chain restaurants that are a must?

Thank you!!
Elisabeth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,845,745 times
Wx wise, I would bring warm clothes and mild temp clothes, this winter has been crazy and unpredictable, but in theory the wx should be nice enough.

The only non-chain restaurant that stands out for me is Frieberg's German restaurant downtown JC, some like it, some don't. I like it.

As for what to see, there are covered bridge in Elizabethton, but I don't get out much, so I really don't know what there is to see.

Great that hubby got interview and/or job offer here, TN is wonderful.

Tony

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM

235 posts, read 645,044 times
Default Welcome!

I hope you enjoy your trip up here. :-) You didn't say when you were coming, but the weekend of the 19th-21st is race weekend in Bristol, so if you are here then, the traffic will be heavy around the speedway.

Our favorite restaurant is The Crazy Tomato in Johnson City. It is pretty reasonably priced and delicious. The kids like it to. Well, if it is pizza, they love it...LOL! My hubby and I usually get lasagna or spaghetti.

You said you are coming as a family.....do you have kids? What ages and interests, because that would probably help everyone give you more information!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Whooo... we'll be heading home right before the race weekend! THanks for the headsup!

My kids are 7 and 8. We really like to do outdoors-y stuff but dh is in a wheelchair so our options will be limited, we know!

Also, we are hoping to buy about 5 acres this summer if we get to move up there... anyone know of a nice realtor who might be able to point us in a good direction to look at land/lots?

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,291,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4onmybench View Post
What can we expect the weather to be like mid-march?

Any must-see's? We don't mind doing touristy stuff but we'd also like to get a feel for what it would be like to actually live there (Johnson City)!

Any non-chain restaurants that are a must?
Good questions:

1. You know the old saying about March: "In like a lion; out like a lamb" or vice versa. Nowhere on earth could it be more accurate than the TRI. It could be anything from snow to torrential downpours to 75 degrees and cirrus clouds.

2. If you've got kids, HandsOn Museum is a must. Perhaps checkout Buffalo Mountain or Winged Deer Park, the latter usually has organized baseball/softball/soccer events going on.

3. Per my vote, Johnson City is the BBQ capital of the world. These four (no chains) are the best around: Johnson City - the BBQ mecca - Google Maps

Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 PM

235 posts, read 645,044 times
If your kids like dinosaur bones, there is the Gray Fossil Site. It doesn't normally have dinosaur bones (but it does have many other fossils and a really nice display), however there is a temporary exhibit right now featuring dinosaurs. You also get to go outside and see where they are digging for the fossils.
splashScreen

If you want to be outside and it is nice, you might try Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport.
TN State Parks: Warriors' Path State Park
It has a wheelchair accessible playground and there is an island with a fairly flat paved trail around it, that I think might be wheel chair accessible also. I'm not sure about that, but I would think it would be the way it is set up.

Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium in Kingsport is also super nice. It has paved trails, animals and a nature center, but its more hilly. You might want to call there first to see about accessibility.
Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium

My kids are 3 and 8 and enjoy all of these places.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Thank y'all for the great info! We are very excited about our visit!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 AM

12,585 posts, read 15,891,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4onmybench View Post
Thank y'all for the great info! We are very excited about our visit!
You'll fit right in around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol