Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times

Advertisements

Well the storm blew through here too so i'll apologize for some low quality Pics. All these pictures were taken along HWY 421 about 10 miles out of Bristol TN at the furthest point on this drive. Two differant marinas, two TVA boat ramps, South Holston Lake, Riding Stables and more. I'd like to also mention that the camp grounds around painter creek are privately owned grounds where you can leave your Camper or RV year round, store your boat and you may occupy them from April through Dec, for between $100-$150 a month most of the camp grounds offer Water, Sewer, Basic Cable TV, Trash Dumpster on Grounds and some offer Security. Electricity is extra and generally amounts to the minimum bill amount-$11-$15 a Month. Boat storage is included in the price for dry storage.
Attached Thumbnails
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-421bridge.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-421marina.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-421nearmarina.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-bbqspotboatlaunch421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-barn.jpg  

A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-boatlaunch421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-camperspaintercreek.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-cove421.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 AM

More Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-horsefarm.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-horsestables421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-island421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-leftoftvaramp.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-observatonknobpark.jpg  

A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-paintercreekmarina.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-paintercreekobknobbackground.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-parkinglotpaintercreek.jpg  

Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 AM

200 posts, read 683,808 times
WOW! Loved ALL YOUR photos - my husband and I are avid dual sport motorcyclists - in fact MSF Instructors and we would LOVE seeing this part of your area. GORGEOUS PHOTOS! Thank you! Will have to check that out when we come up in SEPT. Thank you again!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 AM

I'll try and get down to more of the secluded spots this weekend if it drys up enough.
Attached Thumbnails
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-ramppaintercreek.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-ridingstables421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-tnvalinenearpaintercreek.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-viewfromtvaboatramp.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-viewof421marinafrombridge.jpg  

A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-viewofboatlaunch421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-viewofsouthholstonnearramp.jpg  

Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 AM

You may also want to check out the Oak Ridge area, 100's of miles of roads in a mining camp where you can camp and ride. West Virginia offers alot in a similar place not far from here also. Wish I knew the names. There are some dual sport riders that ride over 421 that mount street tires and have a blast doing it. The hard core riders go up the mountain on sunday and sweep off the turns then run it hard, some turns I wouldn't feel safe past 40 they take at 70 plus, running bikes with race take offs.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:16 PM

200 posts, read 683,808 times
Gosh these are just super!! Being here in FLAT FLORIDA that looks like a blast! Thanks for taking the time to post.
=)

Old 06-09-2007, 04:47 PM

TeeJay I raced Street Bikes for fun at Bristol Dragway for years $5 admission $5 to race, There are several places to take dirt bikes to, Interstate Raceway owned by a very old man off the airport exit, Track that sure needs some fixing up but trails too $5 all day. Exit 36 i think in Morristown has several tracks in one location, supercross track, small track for youth, trails, track in front thats grassed and track runs around boarder, lots of room to run $10 all day.
During the winter they lower the lakes and you can ride for miles, My whole family has a motorcycle, wife has a 4 wheeler also.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Great pics! Thanks for posting them. And I live here LOL!!!!
Not do be a downer about anything you have shown, I just want to add a note of safety about that road 421 and motorcycles. Yesterday we went a funeral for a friend that worked with my husband. He was traveling 421 Thursday night, lost control of his bike, hit a guardrail and didn't make it.
That road maybe fun for ridding the motorcycle, but BE CAREFUL please.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Sorry to hear that mbmouse, it can be dangerous thats for sure.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:03 PM

I decided to take pictures today going over the mountain from Bristol into Shady Valley on 421 then left at the crossroads and into the Cherokee National Forest. Total Distance was 35 Miles and we stopped and hiked at Backbone Rock in the Forest and up to a place I just learned about today, Backbone Falls. There is a picnic area at Backbone Rock and camping facilities are through the tunnel and about 1 mile on the left. There is no admission fee to Backbone Rock.
Attached Thumbnails
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-motorcyclesdown421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-motorcyclesup421.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-shadyvalleycountrystore.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-shadyvalleycrotchrockets.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-shadyvalleyharleys.jpg  

A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-shadyvalleystoresign.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-backbonerocktunnel2.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-backbonerockriver.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol