U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,935,982 times

Advertisements

Tent Camping along the gravel road that feeds from 421 and leads past Little Oak Campground to Bluff City-Chinkapin area, Free camping is allowed along this route and offers waterfalls, private coves on the lake and numerous other remote spots you can get away from it all.

Motorcycleing along 421 through Shady Valley and Mountain City, This is a favorite drive for Motorcycleing, Shady Valley has 2 stores that are waiting for you. On any given sunday the crotch rockets are lined up in the parking lot of one store and Harleys at the other full of happy people talking shop and pointing the way to where they just visited or are heading too. Back Bone Rock is a twisting ride through the forest where you can park and hike, watch the climbers decend from the rocks above, walk the river, picnic, camp or continue on to Dumascus VA. You''l Love it.

Lost Cove is a Civil War era town that lies outside of Erwin and is only accessible by walking up the railroad tracks a few miles then up a bank a few more miles or by 4 wheeler and horses, no roads. This town was formed by deserters during the civil war and has buildings still standing, along the trail you will find pot belly stoves and other artifacts that pilegers have tried to remove but gave up on, interesting hike and you will also see little shacks that were erected long ago out of timber they fell and built lean toos. Very few people know about this area and you will have to be determined to reach it. I've searched a bit of this with a metal detector....well worth the effort.

This is just a drop in the bucket, i'll add more as i can.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Hwy 36 that runs east and west between Volunteer Pkwy and Hwy 11W in Blountville has some interesting sites, one room school house that was relocated to some farm land from its original location still viewable from hwy 36 and possible access from making contact with owners of property. Island road which is the original path carved into this country by Daniel Boone still shows wagon train wheel markings in the grassed over ruts in the soil. On the S.W corner of Island Road and Hwy 36 A doublewide trailor now sits on the location of a hotel that stood till the later 60's that was owned by a kin to Jessie James, History states that during a battle fought in Blountville during the civil war when the union soldiers were marching in that all of the locals valueables were brought to one house still standing and buried and have never been recovered. Log structure in Blountville has now been open to the public, recent renovation finally completed a few weeks ago.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Although the Holston River is fished on a regular basis not many people know the rock that sets just a few inches below the surface contain garnets and other semi precious gems and I personally have panned the river and found flaked gold in small quantities.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Ok what fun would a tour be without pictures. I shot these this morning on the south fork of the Holston River. The fly fishermen were out early.
Attached Thumbnails
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-holstonriver.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-bendinholstonriver.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-flyfishingholstonriver.jpg   A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-panningholstonriver.jpg  

Old 06-08-2007, 09:12 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,641,995 times
You must have read my mind! I was thinking, "What good is a tour without pictures?" But I didn't want to sound pushy like some people can be.

Great job!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks hicknapster,lol I'll be taking some time away from my business so next week i'll have some time to snap alot of pictures and upload them here through out the week.yeah! its really hard to get a feel for the area with out pictures.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM

I researched this church at the library, it hosted a camp for soldiers during the civil war, don't remember if it was union or confederate. To the right of the church leads to Chinkapin (just out side of Bluff City), to the left leads back to 421 and directly across the street is the Holsten river.
Attached Thumbnails
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.-churchholstonriver.jpg  

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,664,716 times
Awwww man! Seeing that river, I just want to dig out my waders and flyrod!! Hey - that front flyfisherman could be my ex-bf who told me he was coming to East TN to go fly fishing in the mountains!

Beautiful pictures and wonderful descriptions! Keep them coming!

blessings, Shen

Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM

136 posts, read 426,506 times
So, did you catch any fish?

Beautiful pictures, BTW.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM

No I caught my wife at work and shes picking up KFC before she gets here with the boys...lol I'm getting more pictures tonight before the sun go's down so i'll post more in the morning. Glad you liked them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol