Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 PM

41 posts, read 152,304 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been researching TN for a retirement spot in the next three years and plan to visit this summer. Once again, the New Madrid fault came up in some sites I've visited. We're running from hurricanes and don't want to trade for another thing to worry about. At least with hurricanes, there is a warning. Can anyone shed some light on what kind of earthquake history or risk there is for the northeastern part of the state, say Johnson City/Jonesborough? There is a fault that runs near Bristol. Can some of you who have been there for years shed some light on this topic? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,107,427 times
The risk for major earthquakes in NETN is very, very low. I've lived here my entire life and never felt an earthquake. My parents have never, either. Sometimes one will make the headline, but it's always so small that everyone I know always says they never felt a thing, or only a slight shake for a brief time.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:57 AM

218 posts, read 414,622 times
The New Madrid Earthquake fault is centered around West Tennessee ( Memphis), South east Missouri and southeast Illinois. There is sesmic activity here but very little. The whole region is riddled with limestone caverns and underground water. I have grown up here and lived in J.C. and Knoxville. K-town has had some very minor activity, but nothing major. To my knowledge nothing has ever happened in the Tri Cities to amount to anything. I am not an expert on soil or earhtquake, but my dad was a farmer and farmers do know the soil. He always said that Limestone was soft and that was why the area had so many caves and caverns. He always talked about how Johnson City was built on caves. I really don't know. I am not worried. If the BIG one hits.... so be it.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 AM

199 posts, read 526,666 times
I've lived in this area all my life (29 years) and never felt a thing. Earthquakes are very rare in East TN and when we do have something it's very minor, barely even felt. Memphis does have a high risk of having a large earthquake in the near future but Memphis is so far away from us (500 miles) that you should not be concerned with that area.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 AM

851 posts, read 2,448,604 times
There are earthquakes just about all over the USA, you just don't feel them. And the earthquakes are fewer than the hurricanes. FL usually has the possibility of about 9 - 13 a year. Even if you know a hurricane is coming you don't know how bad it will be (for sure) or if it will bring a tornado or tornadoes with it.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,776,498 times
According to city-data.com, Jonesborough-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below the Tennessee state average and is 69% smaller than the overall US average.

Per USGS data, over the past 30 years within a 50-mile radius of Jonesborough, seven minor earthquakes with magnitudes ranging from 3.0 to 3.6 have occurred. Earthquakes that small almost never cause any damage.

IOW, earthquakes in NE Tenn. are nothing to worry about.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 PM

41 posts, read 152,304 times
Default Earthquakes in NE TN

Thank you all for your replies. You all make very good sense and brought a great deal of comfort. I know there is no perfect place out there. I've lived in the same house for the last 25 years, so this move will be a big step for us. Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,260 times
There was an earthquake felt this morning in SW VA (near Richlands, VA). No reports of damage. NGS only gave it a 2.5 magnitude rating. As everyone else said, the tremors in/around NE TN are few and far between and the most damage has been light shaking. Although there's no guarantee whatsoever, I don't think any of us are expecting the "big one" to hit TN anytime soon. =)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM

26 posts, read 48,905 times
I live about 65 miles north of Memphis..right along the New Madrid fault's path. Folks here don't stress too much over when an earthquake will happen. And the fear of one doesn't stop folks from moving in. I lived here all my life(46 years) and can't remember when the last one was. Not that we havn't had any..they just wasn't bad enough to do any damage. Some folks are prepared for the "Big'en"..most are not. I hope to move to east Tn one day..but not because of earthquakes or tornados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol