Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,452 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am relocating from Houston, TX to Johnson City, TN for a job. I was trying to look for an apartment to rent. My main priority was in terms of safety of the apartment complex and also proximity to the niswonger children's hospital.
Can anyone please suggest some areas/apartment complexes which would be suitable. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
First we'll need to know what sort of rent is suitable for your budget, and what sort of amenities you need. 1 br? 2? tennis courts and a pool or bare bones?

There are some decent complexes out Greenwood Road and Cherokee Road that could easily suit and are close to JCMC. I would avoid any complexes to the immediate north of Market St. that sound too good to be true - most of them are horribly trashy, small and old.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
How close to Niswonger? Walking distance? Drive time?

There are some on Knob Creek and Sunset that look very nice with +/- 5 minute drive times. Like these: Sunset dr - Google Maps

Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 PM

67 posts, read 237,030 times
I would avoid those near ETSU. Perhaps look at Gray its very close to JC on the Kingsport side. Most of my friends live there unless students. Newer complexes & less crime. Still a very short drive to JC. HTH

Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much all, for this info. I am looking for a 2BR apartment with maybe a patio, good community, rent average 500-600$ and a washer dryer facility within the apartment.
I have looked online at Haven at Knob Creek, looks really nice, but is kind of expensive I felt.
Any idea about Evergreen Terrace and Miller Crest.
I really appreciate all your replies.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I lived across the street from Evergreen Terrace. They're okay, but sprawling, filled with college kids and I could sometimes hear some loud things going on.

I've heard of Miller Crest, but don't know anything about those.

You might want to check out Greenwood Farms. It's sorta beside Evergreen Terrace (but secluded from it). This used to be Johnson City's "Little Mexico" but a developer bought the complex, gutted them, added porches outside. It looks pretty nice, and it's super close to Kroger (walking distance), ETSU and the JCMC/Niswonger's. Greenwood Farms - WHERE COMMUNITY LIFE BEGINS

Also, there are some pretty nice apartments out on Lakeview Drive (off Mountcastle). This road is sandwiched between Lakeview Park and Oakland Avenue and is nice, quiet and middle class. It's a 2-min drive time to Target and the JC mall. The medical center is a little farther away but you can still make it in 15 minutes in the daytime.

There are apartments all over Johnson City, my recommendations could go on all day long. Your budget is a little on the low side, but the further you get from South Johnson City (ETSU), in general, prices drop along all categories of rentals (studios/apartments/condos).

Have you thought about a house, too? There are lots of them for rent in South JC's Mountain Home and Tree Streets neighborhoods. Lots of undergrad and grad students, professors and professionals living out here. (I live on Highland Ave in a 2/2 for $675.)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
#1 check the local papers like tricities.com and johnsoncitypress.com
#2 check Craigs List.

If you see something you like, run the address by us, and we sill let you know of any concerns that we know of.

Miller Crest is a nice enough area and very close to the Med Center.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 20,982 times
you can also check 'craigslist' (und Tri-Cities listing)...that's where hubby/I found house we're renting: 2bdrm, washer/dryer in basement, $625 rent, less than 5 min from JC Medical and ETSU (off St. of Franklin)

Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks guys. All this advice seems really helpful. I will look at houses as well, as that also seems like a good idea.
Will let you know of my concerns or questions if I need any more assistance.

Thanks once again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol