Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 PM

23 posts, read 183,715 times

Advertisements

We have lived in west Tennessee which rarely snows and middle Tennessee is pretty much the same. Do you guys get a lot of snow in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 PM

53 posts, read 149,147 times
ha ha...I just moved to the tri-cities from Buffalo, NY area and everyone here said it was the worst winter ever this year. I thought it was glorious! (except the storm that left the electric out for 3 days...that was awful!).

Not much snow. Had maybe 3 or 4 inches a couple times. Usually just a dusting - but it does snow. I think I shoveled once. They predict snow far more than they actually have it.

I think it's only a problem if you live on a hill. Then the roads are slippery. They certainly don't plow/salt here like they do in NY. In NY if it was five below and six feet of snow feel they'd still have to go to school. They seem to close them real easy here - thinking because so many people live in elevated areas so ice and hills become a problem. My kids don't mind.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 AM

128 posts, read 335,343 times
I visited Kingsport in February right in the middle of a major snow storm that was hammering the east coast -- except the area of New York that I live in (go figure). It wasn't really bad, except for the whole no salting the roads and plowing thing....it was still easily drivable if you took your time...so if that was the worst it had been in years... it must not usually get too bad.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 PM

31 posts, read 84,934 times
Winters are not too bad here. past winter I had 10 inches in south JC (near buffalo mountain)on dec 18-19 thats most we have seen in the town in a while.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
The local news reported on several days this past winter that it was warmer in Vermont. I think Alaska even had better winter weather this past year. I am sure glad I hung onto those warm winter clothes from years of living the north. NE TN can produce some pretty bad winter weather.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Coming from West TN you're probably going to think it's pretty cold. A decent winter coat and some good gloves are a must.
Probably an ice scraper, and maybe some lock de-icer for your car if you park outside. I haven't needed to shovel yet, no sidewalks in front of my house and the driveway is usually melted off pretty quick when it does snow.

Lots of snow days here this past winter. When I first moved here this was a little odd to me because schools would close for a snow day and I'd look outside and wonder why because it really didn't look bad at all. After I'd been here a while and had to drive on some of some of those secondary roads during any kind of snowy weather I had a much better understanding.

A couple of days we had enough snow and ice that I had to get a ride from co-workers with SUVs because my poor car couldn't cope with the unplowed roads, especially on any kind of slope. The next car I buy I will definitely buy with snow in mind.
I saw that the Wal-mart on the Virginia side of Bristol was selling some sort of snow chains and I considered getting some. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle and the expense for something that might be seldom needed. Also couldn't figure out if they were legal r not in TN, anybody know?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Also couldn't figure out if they were legal r not in TN, anybody know?
Per Tenn. code: "It is permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions on any vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to skid."

Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 AM

27 posts, read 191,429 times
winter are great. im from east tennessee (south eastern part) and the north eastern part gets alot more snow and ice than we did in the southeastern parts. i call NE TN my home tho. JC elizabethton area is great!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol