U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 34,507 times

Advertisements

We are looking to possibly relocate to Knoxville due to a job change. I just came back from a trip to look at housing this past week. We are interested in Hardin Valley for the schools, tranquility and proximity to shopping. Does anyone have any specific comments regarding the subdivisions there?

We are very laid back people with two boys (8 & 5). We are moving from Wisconsin and are used to letting our boys go outside by themselves where they can play/ride bikes within a 2-3 block radius safely. I liked Brighton Farms and Saddlebrook as both have nice subdivision pools where we can get to know other families. I am not used to the lack of sidewalks and the hills, so I am interested in a subdivision that does not have too much traffic or is not too close to a major road. I also don't want my 8 year old to go crashing at the bottom of a steep hill. Any thoughts?

FYI - I'm not a fan of the run down trailor homes on the way to the Saddlbrook subdivisions.

I am really interested in recommendations of specific subdivisions (there are so many!).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM

610 posts, read 1,502,207 times
Reagan's landing is nice, and has a pool, the subdivision is growing and the HOA is talking of adding another pool. Brighton Farms is an oldersudivision. Reagan's Landing and other surrounding neighborhoods are a bit closer to Pellissippi parkway than Brighton Farms, so you have the accessible route. It's on the other side of Pellissippi towards Karns, but it is still zoned for Hardin Valley.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the great recommendation airen123. I just checked out the HOA Web site www.reaganslanding.org. I love the Ladies' Night Out and Bunco nights by the pool. I am really looking for a subdivision that has a community aspect where I can get to know other families.

How far is this from downtown Knox?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM

51 posts, read 165,603 times
Check out Campbell Creek subdivision. It is a very nice, secluded location, great for families, and would be a safe area for your kids. It's only 2-3 minutes from I-40 / Turkey Creek, but it feels like you are really secluded.

It's on Campbell Station road North of I-40.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:38 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,637,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirtz View Post
How far is this from downtown Knox?
About 25-30 minutes.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,066,173 times
FYI - I'm not a fan of the run down trailor homes on the way to the Saddlbrook subdivisions.

Swirtz- If you are moving to Tennessee, I suggest you leave your pretentiousness at the state line. It is refreshing not to live in a place where one is judged by address or how ones place of residence looks. Don't move here with the attitude that Tn. doesn't live up to your standards or you are somehow better then the natives. You'll be awful lonely and you'll miss out on the impulsive friendliness of perfect strangers. There are pockets of homes all over this state that have seen better days, if pristine and perfectly manicured are what you are looking for with sidewalks well good luck with that.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM

75 posts, read 209,475 times
Be aware that Reagans Landing is not in the Hardin Valley Academy district, if that matters. Our opinion on Hardin Valley subdivisions:
Campbell Creek - nice, but didn't like windy, tight roads to and from (teenage driver in our house)
Hunter Estates - agree on trailers (no, not a trailer snob, lived in one before), and weren't happy with how difficult it is to get on Lovell from Snyder. Really liked this development though.
Greenbrook - we commute north in AM, and this means crossing Pellissippi traffic = impossible. Also think the houses weren't consistent.
Harrison Springs - great south and north access to Pellissippi. Right price for us. It does have hills, which might not work for you.
Reagans Landing - wrong school system for our daughter.
Maitland Woods - same as Reagans Landing
Covered Bridge - out of our price range.
Glen at Hardin Valley - out of our price range

Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! No, I'm not a trailer snob either. Believe me there are plenty of trailer homes in rural Wisconsin We are a laid back state - think Cheeseheads on TV. However, if we're going to invest in a brand new home in a nice new subdivision and spending a pretty penny, I'd like the entrance to the subdivision to be just as nice and welcoming (from an resale point of view).

Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,066,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirtz View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! No, I'm not a trailer snob either. Believe me there are plenty of trailer homes in rural Wisconsin We are a laid back state - think Cheeseheads on TV. However, if we're going to invest in a brand new home in a nice new subdivision and spending a pretty penny, I'd like the entrance to the subdivision to be just as nice and welcoming (from an resale point of view).

Look some place else then, you aren't even moved here and already want it like you are used to. Resale value or not, you may want to rethink moving here. Just sayin is all.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Such a welcome response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville