Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 AM

381 posts, read 1,681,578 times

Advertisements

My older sister, younger brother and I were homeschooled our entire lives. I really think we turned out the better for it. We never lacked socialization. We never felt we were missing out on anything. And best of all, we never did drugs, drank, smoke, had sex (outside of marriage), etc.

I'm sure the schools in TN are far, far better than the ones in FL (at least I hope they are), but I will still choose to homeschool my children (when I have them).

My sister has been married for five years now (she married at 18), to the first and only person she ever "dated". She has a 19 month old son. She and her husband own a contracting business. She's very happy. Has tons of friends. I would say she's "well adjusted."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 AM

8 posts, read 30,092 times
I'm a homeschooler in Seymour. I actually go through family Christian Academy which is in West Tennessee, and I do alot of that online.
I find alot of head butting in this area. People with very pre-conceived ideas of homeschooled children. I hear so often ' but your kids need to socialize', and of course I roll my eyes, as they'd be shocked to hear everything my children have accomplished.
Nice to meet another homeschooler.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM

297 posts, read 1,296,030 times
Default I'm not from TN but.....a idea for the liberal HS Mom~

I'm not from TN but would love to be! Just make your move to the Knoxville area. From what I've seen and heard, you will love the area. I'm sure that you will meet some Home Schooling Moms and you may even be able to start your own homeschooling group that is adapted to your own homeschooling needs. You can pick and choose for yourself! Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,665 times
Default Hmeschooling in Knoxville

My dughter-in -law schools my grandkids. There is great group of homeschoolers even a homeschooler orchester.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
I am a homeschooling Mom of 4 (only 2 are in school). We moved to the Lake City area (30 miles north of Knoxville) one month ago from Memphis, TN where homeschool groups are plentiful. I have had no luck contacting a home school group here and this is the first I have heard of the Smoky Mountain group. On a different note, this is certainly a more "natural" area than we are used to in the suburbs of Memphis. It is a beautiful area. I will try to find some additional information and let you know.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 8,823 times
Angry Living in Oak Ridge

If you were to move here then there would be two of us liberal, non-religious homeschooling moms in town. There is a large support for religious sector but harder for us to find the support. It is out there and I have just recently gotten some contacts. If you are still communicating I will be happy to share what I find.
This area is like no other I have lived in that people live, eat and breath religion and it seems to be in every facet of their lives and in every conversation. I like this web site because people are not allowed to post hateful responses. That is the only reason I write. As is typical of some religious people the threat of independent thinking breeds violence and hatred. It is difficult to raise a child and teach them about their rights when you feel that you in fact have none as a free thinker.
The Oak Ridge schools were one reason for relocating here and ironically we are now homeschooling. With classrooms of up to 21 kids and 1 teacher it has been our experience that you are really invisible unless you are struggling. My son got little to no individual attention, no acknowledgment for his strengths and certainly none for his weaknesses. Homeschooling for me was a choice out of desperation to help him turn around his attitude that learning couldn't be more boring and had decided at the age of 7 that he would never be able to go all the way through to college if school was this boring. Don't be fooled that there is no religion in public school here. There are religious practices incorporated whenever someone above the law can sneak it in. It is fact and I have seen with my own eyes. But the overall attitude is "a little religion won't hurt you".

Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomof1 View Post
This area is like no other I have lived in that people live, eat and breath religion and it seems to be in every facet of their lives and in every conversation.
I have not found that to be even remotely true.

Do they sneak religion into the public schools? Yep. They do that a lot. You won't see Halloween parties at school, but you will see Christmas parties. I've seen a nativity scene in a public school.

I would think that moving to the Bible Belt, one would expect that.

I'm not religious, in fact, I doubt that I'm even a Christian. But I knew exactly what I was getting into when I moved to this area. I didn't come here to change it, and I find it to be far better educational experience than what my daughter had in Florida. Far nicer folks, too.

Might be something to that church stuff.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,711,791 times
Quote:
This area is like no other I have lived in that people live, eat and breath religion and it seems to be in every facet of their lives and in every conversation. I like this web site because people are not allowed to post hateful responses.
Both those statements are generalizations, personal opinions and not necessarily true. And it is your attitude, based on this post, that causes conflicts, a culture-centric attitude that many people do not appreciate. You are no better than anyone else, nor are your ideas and lifestyle superior to anyone elses.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,823 times
I didn't move to the bible belt. I moved to a city in America where the Constitution is the same as everywhere else.
You say you are not religious and not sure if you are even a christian. You sound quite confused and obviously are religious if you are not sure and think there might be something to this church stuff. I am not looking for religious guidance. And please do not belittle what I have stated as fact in my own experience. I did not try to win a battle with the school we attended, just searching for a way to help my child.
Another response stated that they did not find my comments to be even remotely true. That does not in any way change that it is true of our experience with people's need to have everyone think the same way, therefore validating their own beliefs.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,099,797 times
Quote:
I didn't move to the bible belt.
Oh, yes you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville