U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times

Advertisements

Hello...I am about to become divorced and I have a 12 yr old child. I currently live in Arkansas (I'm originally from the east coast) and have been interested in Tennessee for quite some time. I would like to know about how the mortgage industry is doing - I work in that field so I would like to know if it would be hard to find a job, and where would be some of the best areas to relocate to as far as affordable housing in areas that are safe and family-friendly - with good schools of course. I want to try and buy my own first home so any information about safe areas would be great. I don't mind commuting. I've done it commuting to Manhattan and I lived in California for quite a few years and I have a 37 mile commute to Little Rock one way, so commuting is something I'm used to, although it'd be really refreshing to have a shorter commute for a change. I'm also Catholic so I'm hoping I won't have a long drive to find a church to go to either.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Knoxville area and have seen a lot of magazine stories on how great the quality of life is there. Arkansas lacks a lot of culture and just really doesn't have a lot as far as entertainment or just interesting things to see or do.
I'm looking for this to be a permanent residence. I've had it with moving! I'm going to come for a visit the weekend of July 14 to check out the area.
I also want to mention my child and I do a lot of hiking and bike rides.
Any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Last edited by jmb38; 07-03-2007 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: forgot something!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
796 posts, read 2,626,930 times
This website is good for searching for your local Catholic Church or Parish anywhere in the US.

Search by zipcode or city & state for local church:

http://www.parishesonline.com

List of Catholic Parishes

http://www.parishesonline.com/script...g.asp?ID=20944

Catholic Diocese in TN

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Knoxville TN
805 Northshore Drive SW
Knoxville, TN 37939

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Memphis TN
Most Rev. J Terry Steib
PO Box 341669
Memphis, TN 38184

blessings, Shen

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM

15,862 posts, read 29,168,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb38 View Post
Hello...I am about to become divorced and I have a 12 yr old child. I currently live in Arkansas (I'm originally from the east coast) and have been interested in Tennessee for quite some time. I would like to know about how the mortgage industry is doing - I work in that field so I would like to know if it would be hard to find a job, and where would be some of the best areas to relocate to as far as affordable housing in areas that are safe and family-friendly - with good schools of course. I want to try and buy my own first home so any information about safe areas would be great. I don't mind commuting. I've done it commuting to Manhattan and I lived in California for quite a few years and I have a 37 mile commute to Little Rock one way, so commuting is something I'm used to, although it'd be really refreshing to have a shorter commute for a change. I'm also Catholic so I'm hoping I won't have a long drive to find a church to go to either.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Knoxville area and have seen a lot of magazine stories on how great the quality of life is there. Arkansas lacks a lot of culture and just really doesn't have a lot as far as entertainment or just interesting things to see or do.
I also want to mention my child and I do a lot of hiking and bike rides.
Any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
I don't know how well the mortgage industry is going here, however the banking industry is very strong. There is a strong Catholic community in Knoxville and I would like to mention to you that West Knoxville might be a good fit for you and your son (37922, 37934 and others). Best of luck to you and if I can be of any help please let me know.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 AM

22,576 posts, read 49,554,225 times
If I were to move anywhere, it would probably be to Arkansas. Comparing Little Rock and Knoxville, regarding culture, Little Rock wins hands down. Salaries are better, too.

Crime is worse in Little Rock, but you live 37 miles away, so I bet there is less crime where you live.

Real estate was doing very well here, but that has slowed down.

My original desire was to move to Arkansas. Fort Smith. But I couldn't talk my husband into it.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM

763 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Jmb38,

Here's a site that you might get some information from regarding biking and hiking:

Trail results for knoxville Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: