Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 39,082 times

Advertisements

There is an Orthodox Church in Oak Ridge. It is affiliated with the Orthodox Church in America which has a Russian Background. I'm sure there are some Russians attending there that you could meet.

St. Anne Orthodox Church
560 Oak Ridge Turnpike,
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Fr. Stephen Freeman (priest)
Office: 865-482-0088
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaCahill View Post
Hello everyone.

Excuse me if I'm out of place, I'm brand new to this site.
I'm originally from Russia, and I've been in Knoxville for about
a year now.

Can anyone point me to a local Russian community in the Knoxville
area? I'd like the chance to meet up with some folks from Russia,
or anywhere where Russian is spoken.

Thanks for your time.
Hello Sasha, I am Russian, have been in Knoxville for 2 years. If you are still looking for friends, please contact me at antelope89@hotmail.com]antelope89@hotmail.com[/email]. Will be happy to get to know you!!!

Last edited by Antelope89; 06-19-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: wrong email address

Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,398 times
Default My Grandson

My 14 yr old Grandson found out a while back that he is of Russian descent, now all he does is talk and breathe anything russian. He has even been trying to learn to speak the language. He is coming up the middle of July for a visit and if I could arrange for him to meet one of you from russia it would be such a thrill for him, please let me know if this would be possible. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Privet!

My wife is Russian, we are both attending UTK starting this fall.

Beware of a lot of Russians around, especially if they are hailing from the Chattanooga area, maybe even up there as many belong to some sect type churches that sponsor their visa to come on over here, they are all a bit strange and pretty much are instructed not to talk to any Russian immigrant outside the church, so if you run into an unusually rude Russian who ask you what church you go to, they are one of them. They are pretty much modern day indentured servants, they church sponsors them, they come over, work and pay money to the church each month.

Many Russians attend the Greek orthodox Church.

There are many tourist workers from the ex-USSR region in gatlinburg area, but I have found them basically to tied up for any social activities, basically they are here to work and/or find someone to marry to stay here.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Worked with a guy from the Ukraine several years ago. His father was a physics professor at UT. That doesn't help you at all, though.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,437 times
go to pigeon forge area all they are here))))))))))))

Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 AM

70 posts, read 298,921 times
Default Nearby russians

Hi, SashaCahill!

This may be a bit too far away for you, but just down the road (I-75) towards Chattanooga, there's Cleveland, TN. Lee University is located there and I am aware that there is a large group of Russian students now attending this school. That may be a place where you could find a lot of conversation in Russian - altho' the folks we have met enjoy speaking English.

Cleveland is about an hour's drive from Knoxville...

Best of luck!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
My 14 yr old Grandson found out a while back that he is of Russian descent, now all he does is talk and breathe anything russian. He has even been trying to learn to speak the language. He is coming up the middle of July for a visit and if I could arrange for him to meet one of you from russia it would be such a thrill for him, please let me know if this would be possible. Thanks.
What your grandson is interested in particularly?
I'm russian
maybe i could help

Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,458 times
Hello. I am from ukraine and i have been living here 3 months already. My husband is a very busy person so most of the time i am alone. I will be very glad to have friends here. We can communicate and talk to each other. I know russian perfect and i also can speak english. Som if you wish you can answer me [email]20inna69@inbox.ru[/email]

Old 04-24-2011, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,343 times
I am trying very hard to learn the russian language but am having difficultes. Would like to meet native russian speaking people. Help please !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville